Black Lives Don’t Matter

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: Black Lives Don’t Matter

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:19 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:15 am
It’s originally a communist revolutionary phrase derived from the French Revolution, but I see it used ironically applied to the MSM

So, it is like being a progressive edge lord? Kind of like 'Hitler did nothing wrong,' but for BLM?
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:21 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:19 am
Martin Hash wrote:
It’s originally a communist revolutionary phrase derived from the French Revolution, but I see it used ironically applied to the MSM

So, it is like being a progressive edge lord? Kind of like 'Hitler did nothing wrong,' but for BLM?
It’s what a communist says to condemn a Wrong-thinker. I have no idea what you think it means?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:25 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:21 am
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:19 am
Martin Hash wrote:

It’s what a communist says to condemn a Wrong-thinker. I have no idea what you think it means?
Yeah, I get that. But who is using it ironically? I am asking if the woman writing that has stumbled upon the phrase on her own, or is aware of its use in past revolutions and thought: yeah, those seemed pretty rad, Ima say that shit to people.

Or, is it being used specifically to rile people up?

Obviously, it is impossible to say, but I don't do twitter or facebook, so I am curious about your read on this.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:45 am

Scott Adams, probably the most influential pundit today, uses it against the MSM.

Any mockery of Communism includes the phrase so a lot of people pick it up even if they don’t know the implication.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:51 am

Well, that sucks.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:52 am

I had a friend who thought himself an arch-Capitalist. As a joke, I would occasionally say, "from each according to their ability, to each according to their need." He lives in Portland: one day we were discussing liberty, and he said to me, "I believe in that thing you say."
"What thing?"
"You know, the 'need' thing."
"From each according to their ability, to each according to their need?"
"Yeah, that. I agree with that."
"The Communist manifesto?"
"What?"
"Dude, you're a fucking Communist."
(He's no longer a friend of mine.)

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:59 am

It is a very good phrase.

I remember, very distinctly, first hearing it in a high school social studies class. I was impressed, and thought it was very convincing. But, I was 15.

I don't as specifically remember realizing how absurd it is, or the evils wrought by its application - which tells you something about how powerful a meme it is.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:01 am

Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:59 am

I remember, very distinctly, first hearing it in a high school social studies class. I was impressed, and thought it was very convincing. But, I was 15.

I don't as specifically remember realizing how absurd it is, or the evils wrought by its application - which tells you something about how powerful a meme it is.
The fact that you weren't told in high school indicates the problem with America today.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:07 am

I was listening to EconTalk yesterday: prize-winning philosopher Agnes Callard was speaking on "Philosophy, Progress, and Wisdom." She commented that the reductionist philosophy, "most good to the most people," is impossible to counteract without indoctrination in school because humans naturally tend toward egalitarianism, especially in a democracy.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:09 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:01 am
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:59 am

The fact that you weren't told in high school indicates the problem with America today.
I was. I didn't listen. I had some very good public school teachers in high school whose insights I completely ignored for decades.
HAIL!

-Hwen