Re: Coronavirus thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:14 pm

Ontario will backtrack on Ford government's random stop laws: source

Civil libertarians and politicians denounced random stops as overkill

The Canadian Press
Colin Perkel
Publishing date:
Apr 17, 2021 • 24 minutes ago

Furious criticism of new anti-pandemic powers that allow police in Ontario to stop any motorist or pedestrian and ask where they live and why they’re not home prompted the provincial government on Saturday to reconsider the measures.

As the number of infected people in hospital reached record levels, a government source speaking on background told The Canadian Press that a “clarification” of the police powers was pending final approval.

“We have heard a lot of feedback on this in the last 24 hours in terms of the scope and applicability,” said the source, who was not authorized to speak publicly. “We will be issuing a clarification to police chiefs and the public about the scope and scale of the order.”

The “scoping down” clarification would make clear the aim of enforcement would be larger social gatherings in progress and people out and about would not be targeted, the source said.

Civil libertarians, and pundits have attacked new anti-pandemic restrictions announced Friday by Premier Doug Ford as misguided.

The added police powers aimed at enforcing stay-at-home orders, they said, were overkill.

The pandemic, meanwhile, continued unabated on Saturday. The number of patients in hospital due to the novel coronavirus rose above 2,000 for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic, with 726 in intensive care and 501 needing a ventilator, authorities reported

Health officials also recorded 34 more deaths related to the virus – the highest single-day count in almost two months , when 47 people were reported as dying from coronavirus disease.

The province logged 4,362 new cases on Saturday, down from Friday’s record-setting number of 4,812. Globally, the pandemic has now killed more than three million people.

Politicians were among those denouncing the new police powers.

In a note to constituents, Jill Andrew, a New Democrat provincial legislator, said the measures show the Ford government is out of touch.

“Let’s be very real here: We are not going to police our way out of the pandemic,” he said. “The reality here is that this will likely impact Black, Indigenous, and people of colour.”

“I am very concerned about arbitrary stops of people by police at any time,” Toronto Mayor John Tory said in a tweet.

While violating restrictions can carry a $750 fine, failure to provide police with requested information can result in criminal charges, according to the province’s association of police chiefs.

Large and small police forces across the province, however, said they had no intention of exercising their new-found powers.

“I would like to reassure our citizens that our officers will not be conducting random vehicle or individual stops,” Peel Regional Police Chief Nishan Duraiappah said in a statement on Saturday.

Andrew Fletcher, chief of the South Simcoe Police Service, said officers would only act on complaints. Police forces from Thunder Bay to Ottawa to Toronto and Woodstock expressed similar positions.

Civil rights groups, however, took little comfort.

“Ontario is one step closer to becoming a police state,” said Joanna Baron, executive director of the Calgary-based Canadian Constitution Foundation.

“Low income and minority communities have borne the brunt of this pandemic in terms of cases and mortality, and they are now more likely to bear the brunt of police enforcement.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ne ... ource-says
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:35 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:42 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:17 pm
doc_loliday wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:17 am

Endangering the entire world? How should the entire world respond and what if they refuse to comply?
Supply them with vaccines quickly. No one is safe until everyone is safe.
Don’t propagate the lie. One more post like this and Ban.
...and you accuse me of not being able to debate honestly.

Calling me a liar and threatening to ban me is not debate it is running away.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:02 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:35 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:17 pm

Supply them with vaccines quickly. No one is safe until everyone is safe.

You aren't debating. You are regurgitating corporate media talking points. A vaccine SHOULD make you safe regardless of what anyone else is doing rendering your "no one is safe until everyone is safe" moot.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Haumana wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:02 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:

You aren't debating. You are regurgitating corporate media talking points. A vaccine SHOULD make you safe regardless of what anyone else is doing rendering your "no one is safe until everyone is safe" moot.
Not when new variants are showing resistance to the current vaccines.

The P1 variant from Brazil already has the E484K mutation from the South African strain. This makes it both more contagious and more vaccine resistant. Then there's the N10 strain from North West Brazil which also has the more resistant E484K mutation and then there are the P2 and N9 variants which are currently not so worrying but could also mutate further.

There's more in depth analysis here if you care to find out more about it.
https://virological.org/t/identificatio ... rotein/675

Or the easier to digest version from Reuters
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2C11XX
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:53 pm

I was feeling quite gloomy this morning

it was cold & grey

but then I got higher than giraffe pussy

then I got afternoon delight

then the sun came out, now it is a spectacular biblical sunset

grilling steaks on the deck, both fillet mignon & teriyaki marinated

dope, sex & meat tend to cheer me up

time to decant the wine, South Australian Cabernet Sauvignon, value pick

Nec Aspera Terrent

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:57 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:43 pm
Haumana wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

The P1 variant from Brazil already has the E484K mutation from the South African strain. This makes it both more contagious and more vaccine resistant. Then there's the N10 strain from North West Brazil which also has the more resistant E484K mutation and then there are the P2 and N9 variants which are currently not so worrying but could also mutate further.

So then the vaccines aren't doing shit. Got it. Mor vaccines tho! Nobody is safe until everyone is safe.

Meanwhile, on Earth, 99.7% of the people who catch the WuFlu survive. Sometimes bad a bad flu, sometimes not even noticed. Just don't be old, fat and already ill and you will most likely be fine.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:22 pm

perfect fillet mignon

not blue, not medium rare, just classically rare

once seared, I turn it on the side to get crisp the bacon without overdoing the steak

Montreal steak spice thick like a crust

side of fries & steakhouse salad, with HP for the steak & mayo for the fries ; Belgian Steak Frittes

supper at the deck table viewing the sunset, weather is perfect, no bugs yet

coronavirus lockdown gilded cage with all the feexins, year two

Corso Italia

Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:30 pm

Haumana wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:57 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Haumana wrote:

So then the vaccines aren't doing shit. Got it. Mor vaccines tho! Nobody is safe until everyone is safe.

Meanwhile, on Earth, 99.7% of the people who catch the WuFlu survive. Sometimes bad a bad flu, sometimes not even noticed. Just don't be old, fat and already ill and you will most likely be fine.

I give up.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Good luck everybody, you're going to need it.

Bye.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:34 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:30 pm
Haumana wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:57 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

I give up.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Good luck everybody, you're going to need it.

Bye.
You said the new strains show resistance to vaccine. What's the point of the vaccine then?

Enjoy your self imposed lockdown.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:38 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:22 pm
perfect fillet mignon

not blue, not medium rare, just classically rare

once seared, I turn it on the side to get crisp the bacon without overdoing the steak

Montreal steak spice thick like a crust

side of fries & steakhouse salad, with HP for the steak & mayo for the fries ; Belgian Steak Frittes

supper at the deck table viewing the sunset, weather is perfect, no bugs yet

coronavirus lockdown gilded cage with all the feexins, year two

Corso Italia

Coriander & Cumin fried pork chops with a side of cheesy pasta shells. 79* and overcast. Chillin like a villain.