The Good News Thread

Haumana

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by Haumana » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:09 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:11 am

How?
It's not the colour of their skin I don't understand.
So raysis. As if skin color is the only basis for racists. :naughty:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:21 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:56 am
DBTrek wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:44 am
I bet if we put him in Beijing he wouldn't be able to understand all the people of Asian origin there either.
Because they're Chinese.
Dude is racist as hell.
:twisted:
It's shameful :naughty:
Worse yet, he didn't even try to understand. Silence is violence Monte. You need to go to a struggle session and embrace your racism.
I did. I watched the whole thing. The only word I really understood was ''nigga'' though.
I expect there are several British regional dialects that you wouldn't understand. Why do you hate whites C-Mag?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:53 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:21 am
C-Mag wrote:
DBTrek wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:44 am
I bet if we put him in Beijing he wouldn't be able to understand all the people of Asian origin there either.
Because they're Chinese.
Dude is racist as hell.
:twisted:
Worse yet, he didn't even try to understand. Silence is violence Monte. You need to go to a struggle session and embrace your racism.
I did. I watched the whole thing. The only word I really understood was ''nigga'' though.
I expect there are several British regional dialects that you wouldn't understand. Why do you hate whites C-Mag?
Slang comes from Black, LGBTQ communities. Not honoring that is racist
AAVE partially grew out of the need for Black people to communicate and dates back to enslavement, according to April Baker-Bell, author of “Linguistic Justice: Black Language, Literacy, Identity, and Pedagogy.”

“When they were enslaving Africans (they used) language planning to make sure that two Africans who spoke the same language could not get together because they didn’t want that to lead to a revolt … and Black language was developed in spite of that,” Baker-Bell says.

Baker-Bell says Black language is a legitimate language with syntax, grammatical features, phonology and semantics. But when Black people speak AAVE it’s seen as unprofessional, and they can be perceived as “intellectually inferior” for speaking it.
https://pearlgraphshop.com/2021/06/17/s ... is-racist/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:03 pm

When talking to a linguist they will always tell you that there is no such thing as bad grammar or illegitimate forms of communication. Everything is just a dialect. Which this is fine and largely true in casual conversation, as long as everyone is able to understand. This is not true when it comes to formal communication. The formal communication should be done in the standard form of the language being used as it should be understood by anyone who speaks the language regardless of their dialect. So while AAVE is a valid dialect of English, it is not a valid form of formal communication. The point of English class in school is teaching of the formal standard English so you can more effectively communicate with people who speak a different dialect of English.

Unfortunately, many in the world of linguistics do not seem to understand this difference.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:40 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:53 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:21 am
C-Mag wrote:

Slang comes from Black, LGBTQ communities. Not honoring that is racist
AAVE partially grew out of the need for Black people to communicate and dates back to enslavement, according to April Baker-Bell, author of “Linguistic Justice: Black Language, Literacy, Identity, and Pedagogy.”

“When they were enslaving Africans (they used) language planning to make sure that two Africans who spoke the same language could not get together because they didn’t want that to lead to a revolt … and Black language was developed in spite of that,” Baker-Bell says.

Baker-Bell says Black language is a legitimate language with syntax, grammatical features, phonology and semantics. But when Black people speak AAVE it’s seen as unprofessional, and they can be perceived as “intellectually inferior” for speaking it.
https://pearlgraphshop.com/2021/06/17/s ... is-racist/
I never said they were intellectually inferior.
I just needed DB to translate it into the Queen's English for me.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:54 pm

TheOneX wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:03 pm
When talking to a linguist they will always tell you that there is no such thing as bad grammar or illegitimate forms of communication. Everything is just a dialect. Which this is fine and largely true in casual conversation, as long as everyone is able to understand. This is not true when it comes to formal communication. The formal communication should be done in the standard form of the language being used as it should be understood by anyone who speaks the language regardless of their dialect. So while AAVE is a valid dialect of English, it is not a valid form of formal communication. The point of English class in school is teaching of the formal standard English so you can more effectively communicate with people who speak a different dialect of English.

Unfortunately, many in the world of linguistics do not seem to understand this difference.
I actually prefer an America with wildly varying dialects of English, it's far to bland for me today. I really appreciated the days when you went down south and people would commonly say shit like.......
I uesta could
I might could
down the road a piece

I miss strong NYC Bronx, Northern NE, Upper Middle America with a hint of Canadian....... It was all good and made traveling around and getting to know people more personal and fun.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:29 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:54 pm
TheOneX wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:03 pm

I actually prefer an America with wildly varying dialects of English, it's far to bland for me today. I really appreciated the days when you went down south and people would commonly say shit like.......
I uesta could
I might could
down the road a piece

I miss strong NYC Bronx, Northern NE, Upper Middle America with a hint of Canadian....... It was all good and made traveling around and getting to know people more personal and fun.
I agree, regional accents are an acceptance of your roots and not something to be mocked unless they are mere affectations. TheOneX makes a valid point about its barriers to communication though as evidenced by my failure to understand what the two gentlemen in DB's vid were saying. I suspect their dialect is an affectation though and not one learned from their parents like a real regional accent.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:45 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:40 pm

Look what you just wrote. Your White privilege demands that someone interpret for you. You won't even take time to attempt to learn what they are saying or why. Your White fragility is getting in the way. As a White, Cisgender, Hetero, Normative, Man, your too busy being on time, saving for the future, and taking care of family to immerse yourself in BIPOC, Trans, Queer, Xir lifestyles, culture and customs.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:46 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:29 pm

I agree, regional accents are an acceptance of your roots and not something to be mocked unless they are mere affectations. TheOneX makes a valid point about its barriers to communication though as evidenced by my failure to understand what the two gentlemen in DB's vid were saying. I suspect their dialect is an affectation though and not one learned from their parents like a real regional accent.
I believe I read last year that the London Cockney Accent is basically extinct................. Sad.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:50 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:45 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:40 pm

Look what you just wrote. Your White privilege demands that someone interpret for you. You won't even take time to attempt to learn what they are saying or why. Your White fragility is getting in the way. As a White, Cisgender, Hetero, Normative, Man, your too busy being on time, saving for the future, and taking care of family to immerse yourself in BIPOC, Trans, Queer, Xir lifestyles, culture and customs.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ps ''you're''