BjornP

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by BjornP » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:02 am

Ph64 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 am
TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:50 pm
It's a big nothing burger calm down
"You hear about that ship that sailed into port with most of the crew dread or dying? I hear how a couple town people have gotten similar symptoms, big black pustules on their body and the like... I'm worried."

ND: "It's a nothing burger calm down"
Yeah, because the degree of 14th century sanitation, personal hygiene awareness and medical knowledge certainly had no effect on the mortality rate back then. There's, like, no difference between modern, Western countries and 14th century Europe, bro. :o

Ph64: "That's it, I've rubbed a dead, bloodied pigeon all over my body and ate a ten-year old Twinkie and got my plague suit. I'm all set for the plague nauw."
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:21 am

BjornP wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:02 am
Ph64 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 am
TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:50 pm
It's a big nothing burger calm down
"You hear about that ship that sailed into port with most of the crew dread or dying? I hear how a couple town people have gotten similar symptoms, big black pustules on their body and the like... I'm worried."

ND: "It's a nothing burger calm down"
Yeah, because the degree of 14th century sanitation, personal hygiene awareness and medical knowledge certainly had no effect on the mortality rate back then. There's, like, no difference between modern, Western countries and 14th century Europe, bro. :o

Ph64: "That's it, I've rubbed a dead, bloodied pigeon all over my body and ate a ten-year old Twinkie and got my plague suit. I'm all set for the plague nauw."
In a lot of ways, medieval Europe’s civilization was better designed to handle a pandemic than us.

Globalism is fragile. Completely shutting down the economy for a month could collapse civilization. Medieval Europe could shut down for a year, no problem, and they pretty much did so during that first wave of the Black Death.

Modern medicine is really not that much better than medieval medicine. The big advantages we have are antibiotics, antivirals, etc., but you also have to look at our disadvantages. Iatrogenic risk is far higher. Going to a doctor when you are relatively healthy is actually more a risk to your life now than it was for a medieval European. I can tell you from experience in overcoming a severe chronic pain illness that most doctors generally have no fucking clue how to treat most complex illnesses if it’s not a trivial matter of prescribing a drug. I would have been better off all those years having gone to a medieval doctor who covered me in leeches than what actually happened. I was put on dangerous drugs, including opiates, for years and years, making everything much worse. Ask Prince and Michael Jackson how advantageous around-the-clock modern medicine is.

Going back to the fragility of globalism.. our medical advantages over our medieval ancestors are mostly erased because the world has centralized production of those antivirals. In China. Which is shut down right now because of the epidemic and cannot export their existing supply due to their own shortages. Trying to synthesize these drugs from scratch, retooling factories to do so, is not going to be so easy during a pandemic.

Medieval Europe was an incredibly robust society. If we moderns were hit with a pandemic that kills up to half the human population as they did, our civilization would collapse overnight. Theirs did not. I would respect that if I were you. We are not better than them just because we have antivirals and microscopes. We are a far more fragile society and technology does not solve fragility. Fragility is how we put society together. Their understanding of how to put together a robust society, or indeed even a so-called anti-fragile society, exceeds our own with a substantial margin for improvement on our end. We traded anti-fragility for antivirals made in China.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 am

Ok, Gwynneth Paltrow. :drool:
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 am

They still have no idea who the "super-spreader" patient zero was in Singapore. That was an international conference and this person could be literally anywhere.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/20 ... re/1837686

You'd probably have to test him or her for antibodies at this point as the infection might already be over.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:27 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:00 am
pineapplemike wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 pm
man i'll be devastated if this shit rips through japan. i couldn't give a shit about china, but japan, those are good people i like the japanese
It would be a shame if the Olympics got cancelled.
good point, that'd be unfortunate they were already under construction in certain areas when i visited tokyo last year in may

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 am

We can do it next year. It wouldn't be a huge loss.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am

It occurred to me today..

Apropos to the problem of fragility and the centralization of the globalist economy.. I was talking with somebody this morning about the problem of centralization and how it necessarily is synonymous with fragility since, in order to centralize, you need to create dependencies and fragilities downstream from the social level you are trying to centralize. For instance, to centralize the American federal government, as we have been doing since the 1790s, we have to erode state power, and state governments have to erode local power. Ultimately you have to erode the power of the family to protect itself, and even the individual from making actionable plans for various contingencies.

Then it struck me that the most arrogant people characterizing buying a few masks and maybe a bit of dry food in case of pandemic as "hysteria" and "fear" are typically globalists themselves. They are virtue signaling, in a sense, their devotion to a kind of religion by not preparing for a very likely pandemic event. It's like an act of faith in the centralized authorities to take care of them when the time comes. If you prepare, it is like saying you don't believe in the Blue Church's destiny (i.e. the "arc of history").

Some people have characterized this globalist, progressive religion as the so-called Blue Church. If you don't support all the weird dogma of the Blue Church, then you must be socially punished. You even have nations like Canada with Orwellian "human rights tribunals" that act as a kind of Inquisition for the Blue Church, punishing and even imprisoning the heretics.

In the original Dawkinsian sense of the concept of a meme, how much is this centralization meme actually a kind of religion, with the understanding that all religions are really the most powerful memes in history? I hate to pick on Monte in this way (no offense, bud), but if you look at the way this guy takes at face value, completely credulously, the dictates of the managerial class, including the scientist "experts" who rule by a "consensus", where consensus implies blacklists and punishments for nonbelievers in the Blue Church, it really does appear to be an almost medievalist belief system we are dealing with here. But oddly, unlikely the medieval belief system of our previous medieval civilization, this new belief system propagates fragility and decay rather than anti-fragility and growth.

This belief system isn't really about science, because they reject science that does not comport to their belief system, and they inject inordinate pseudo-science into various fields to support their belief system by building their "consensus".

This belief system isn't really about progress and building a stronger society because we can all damned well see the now imminent risks of having centralized the production of antivirals and antibiotics in China. We can all see this top-down, centralized management of the epidemic response by the managerial class to be failing spectacularly.

Could we suffer a hundred million fatalities and these people still will refuse to accept that they were wrong simply because we are really dealing with a kind of religion that is so powerful it convinces it's adherents they don't even belong to a religion? It occurs to me that the Blue Church, if it exists, is the most powerful religion in human history, and the most clever insofar as it convinces it's believers that they don't belong to any religion and, indeed, are "anti-religionists". Really think about how powerful that is. Imagine if instead of covid-19, we got something with a 50% mortality rate that exploded onto the world stage because centralized governments cannot bear to shut down trade and travel lest their hyper-fragile global economic system collapse and they lose power. The Blue Church, just by virtue of convincing its adherents of blind faith in the managerial class as the new priesthood, will have done nothing to protect themselves and their families in the face of a pandemic. It's the same fucking thing that happened in the Black Death, when people thought they could just pray the disease away. Until it didn't.

Maybe this is a wake-up call for the rest of us to start radicalizing adherents of this religion against it. It's difficult to even wrap your mind around this Blue Church because it actively hides itself from everybody. When you challenge it, they make it sound like you are challenging "science". When you point out the corporate news is lying to them, they accuse you of propagating "fake news". We have seen this kind of thinking before in the medieval period and it's much, much worse now because there is no identifiable hierarchy behind it.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:29 pm

so, you single for valentine's day this year or what :romance-admire:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:35 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:29 pm
so, you single for valentine's day this year or what :romance-admire:
Yup.

I mean, I am dating again, but I am broken hearted.

I still have to keep you alt-right bastards a secret, because none of these chicks I am dating are okay with heresy.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:42 pm

bummer

we still love you

:romance-grouphug: