Harry and Meghan quit the firm and move to Toronto...

Smitty-48

Re: Harry and Meghan quit the firm and move to Toronto...

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:12 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:03 pm
Bear in mind that Diana had a plan where she was going to force Charles and Camilla to step aside for Wills

She wouldn't have faked her death unless that plan had come to pass.

She had the power, they were terrified of her, she wouldn't have quit while she was ahead.
Where are you getting that from?
Not doubting you just interested.
By the time of her death, she was de facto the most powerful politician on earth.

At that point, the Blair Government saw her was being more important than the Firm

Labour was showcasing her as the de facto Monarch, the Queen of Hearts.

Not just symbolically, she was taking meetings with the foreign office as to how she was going to promote the UK internationally.

She had displaced the Queen, and HM was aware and fretting about it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:20 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:03 pm
Bear in mind that Diana had a plan where she was going to force Charles and Camilla to step aside for Wills

She wouldn't have faked her death unless that plan had come to pass.

She had the power, they were terrified of her, she wouldn't have quit while she was ahead.
By the time of her death, she was de facto the most powerful politician on earth.

At that point, the Blair Government saw her was being more important than the Firm

Not just symbolically, she was taking meetings with the foreign office as to how she was going to promote the UK internationally.

The forcing Charles to step aside bit. I don't think I've heard that before.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:29 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:20 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

Watch the Diana In Her Own Words documentary, they have her on tape outlining her plan.

She asserts her power, that she is altering the monarchy fundamentally, and she's doing it for Wills.

She knew that she was more powerful than the Firm by then, by orders of magnitude.

Her mega celebrity eclipsed them, she knew it, they knew it.

For public consumption she played the victim, behind the scenes she was making big political moves.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:45 pm

This one?

I'll leave it here to watch later.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:18 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:29 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

Watch the Diana In Her Own Words documentary, they have her on tape outlining her plan.

She asserts her power, that she is altering the monarchy fundamentally, and she's doing it for Wills.

She knew that she was more powerful than the Firm by then, by orders of magnitude.

For public consumption she played the victim, behind the scenes she was making big political moves.
So is Harry continuing his mother's plan to alter the monarchy using his own celebrity?
He has reportedly defied granny's wishes not to go ahead with the announcement.
I think it is probably just a wish to shape his own future rather than be an official opener of libraries but it would be fun if he is on a deliberate collision course with the old guard.
A succession crisis would be the obvious soap opera move...

I'm going to watch that documentary now for more info.

I see Trump has stuck his oar in on the side of HM. That should help stir up the anti-Meghan sentiment amongst his base.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:28 am

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:32 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:29 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

After having watched the documentary now I think you may have exaggerated the ''forcing Charles to step aside'' bit.
The only time she mentioned the succession was when she was asked if she thought Charles would ever become King and she said ''who can predict the future'' or words to that effect.
Interesting to watch Charles being asked if he had been unfaithful right from the start and outright lying that he hadn't and that he'd not started a relationship with Camilla until he felt the marriage was ''unreconcilable''.
It reminded me of Andrew's car crash of an interview. Pregnant pauses, facial ticks and forced smiles. He's another person I'd like to sit down and play poker with.
You can see why Diana would want to bypass Charles in favour of William after the way she was treated by the Firm but I'm not sure the film provided any actual evidence that she was planning to achieve it.

You can see why Harry would want to distance himself to protect his wife and family from all the backstabbing machinations of the Royal Court. I expect there are as many courtiers behind William who feel threatened by the Sussexes popularity as there were behind Charles worrying about Diana's.

Like you, I am more sympathetic towards Diana after watching it but there were no real revelations. Most of what it showed was already public knowledge but the previously unseen footage was fascinating to watch.
She was more a victim than a schemer IMO.

Pinched from PF.com...

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:54 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:32 am
After having watched the documentary now I think you may have exaggerated the ''forcing Charles to step aside'' bit.
The only time she mentioned the succession was when she was asked if she thought Charles would ever become King and she said ''who can predict the future'' or words to that effect.
Must be a different documentary then.

In the one I just watched on Netflix she's going on about how Charles would step aside to go off and be with Camilla and Wills would be King.

Bear in mind, back then, she wasn't thinking that Charles could marry Camilla and still be King. She obviously is assuming that Charles would have had to step aside in order to marry Camilla.

Thing is tho, her death altered the trajectory, her being out of the picture has allowed Charles to marry Camilla and get away with it, if Diana had been in the mix this whole time, that likely wouldn't be the case.

In terms of forcing, she was running a propaganda campaign against the Firm, and it was forcing them to do things in response to her, so the force was coming from the public, who sided with her against the Firm. She knew it, and the Firm knew it too, she had power over them through influencing public opinion.

She was not just doing her own thing, she was meeting with the Blair government more than the Queen was, because they wanted to use Diana as the de facto ambassador of everywhere for the UK. They had her meeting with foreign heads of state and whatnot, Diana was so big, the government was eager to harness her star power.

She hadn't yet reached the apex of her power at the time of her death, she was just getting started.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:07 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:54 am
Montegriffo wrote:

In the one I just watched on Netflix she's going on about how Charles would step aside to go off and be with Camilla and Wills would be King.

Bear in mind, back then, she wasn't thinking that Charles could marry Camilla and still be King. She obviously is assuming that Charles would have had to step aside in order to marry Camilla.

Thing is tho, her death altered the trajectory, her being out of the picture has allowed Charles to marry Camilla and get away with it, if Diana had been in the mix this whole time, that likely wouldn't be the case.

In terms of forcing, she was running a propaganda campaign against the Firm, and it was forcing them to do things in response to her, so the force was coming from the public, who sided with her against the Firm. She knew it, and the Firm knew it too, she had power over them through influencing public opinion.

She was not just doing her own thing, she was meeting with the Blair government more than the Queen was, because they wanted to use Diana as the de facto ambassador of everywhere for the UK. They had her meeting with foreign heads of state and whatnot, Diana was so big, the government was eager to harness her star power.

She hadn't yet reached the apex of her power at the time of her death, she was just getting started.
Must be two documentaries called ''Diana in her own words'' then.
The one I watched was a Channel 4 production.
I don't have Netflix but I'll have another search for it on Youtube.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:12 pm

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80221317
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:07 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:54 am
Montegriffo wrote:

Must be two documentaries called ''Diana in her own words'' then.
The one I watched was a Channel 4 production.
I don't have Netflix but I'll have another search for it on Youtube.
This is the one I just watched here;

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80221317
Nec Aspera Terrent