So Trump ordered General Soleimani Assassinated, and now people are crying for WWIII....

Smitty-48

Re: So Trump ordered General Soleimani Assassinated, and now people are crying for WWIII....

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:40 pm

Even the America Firsters were imperialists, they never said America should surrender its empire.

They simply didn't want to fight the Germans, but if they could have taken Persia from the British, they would have.

The Confederates were also Imperialists, they were planning to take all of Latin America.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Re: So Trump ordered General Soleimani Assassinated, and now people are crying for WWIII....

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:47 pm

The BBC is reporting that witnesses on the ground are saying the Iranians fired 3 Tor missiles at the 737

Two of them missed.

That's a terrible way to go, first the warhead peppers the cabin with shrapnel, then the fuel sprays back and engulfs them in flames, hitting the ground actually becomes a mercy.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:57 pm

The TOR missile systems has multiple modes, you can set it to be semi autonomous.

In that mode, it will engage anything which isn't squawking a friendly IFF signal, automatically.

A civilian airliner has a squawk, but it's not going to be an Iranian military code, so TOR will engage it.

The Iranian air defense troops are so afraid of F-35, they have their SAMs set to shoot first, ask questions after.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:05 pm

Much as my heart goes out to these Iranian "Canadians" and their families, they were rather naive.

They are Iranians who come to Canada on student visas, but they reserve the right to go back to Iran as well.

It's simply not safe to travel back and forth between Iran and Canada by Ukrainian airline.

Again, Canadian airlines will not fly into Tehran, because they know the Iranians are trigger happy.

If you're going to pay the Ukrainians to fly you into a war zone, you takes your chances, I wouldn't recommend it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:15 pm

Ah, now the Donald is requesting more NATO forces to deploy to Iraq.

Culture is Destiny. Reagan 2.0 Neocons for the win.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:16 pm

17 "Swedish residents" on that plane. Mostly Iranians"refugees" with asylums coming back from having spent time with the family over the holidays.
Trip payed by the Swedish tax payers.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:20 pm

Hastur wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:16 pm
17 "Swedish residents" on that plane. Mostly Iranians"refugees" with asylums coming back from having spent time with the family over the holidays.
Trip payed by the Swedish tax payers.
Realpolitik : I don't recognize these people as being "Canadians"

They are Iranians who come to Canada on student visas because they can't get into the USA.

Canada has become the Iranian destination of choice, because America won't take them.

Not that I am saying they deserved their fate.

None the less, you can't keep a foot in both camps.

When you come to Canada, you are joining the American camp whether you like it or not.

If you choose to go back and forth, you takes your chances.

Once you escape the iron curtain, don't go back, and certainly don't take your children with you if you do.

I have no desire to kick them out of Canada, but I can't take responsibility for them in Iranian airspace.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:29 pm

8 of those "Swedes" were Afghan "children" granted asylum because it couldn't be established that they had enough ties to Iran to be expelled there. Going home after visiting their families.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Hastur wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:29 pm
8 of those "Swedes" were Afghan "children" granted asylum because it couldn't be established that they had enough ties to Iran to be expelled there. Going home after visiting their families.
The CBC state propaganda arm is in overdrive trying to convince me that these were "Canadians"

As if it was a bunch of Quebecois shot down while flying over New Brunswick.

Realpolitik is that they were Iranians trying to have a foot in both camps at once.

It's tragic, but not really Canada's problem in the end.

Again, I'm not trying to drive them out, I'm not opposed to foreign students.

None the less, they do not enjoy the protection of the British Crown in North America, while in Iran.

If you are Iranian and you insist on going back to Tehran, you takes your chances.

If you are Somali and you insist on going back to Mogadishu, you takes your chances.

If you are Chinese and you insist on going back to Beijing, you takes your chances.

And so on and so forth.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:06 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:05 pm
Much as my heart goes out to these Iranian "Canadians" and their families, they were rather naive.

They are Iranians who come to Canada on student visas, but they reserve the right to go back to Iran as well.

It's simply not safe to travel back and forth between Iran and Canada by Ukrainian airline.

Again, Canadian airlines will not fly into Tehran, because they know the Iranians are trigger happy.

If you're going to pay the Ukrainians to fly you into a war zone, you takes your chances, I wouldn't recommend it.
Good to see that you are not so much of a misanthrope that you are incapable of sympathy.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.