Have Videogames Run Their Course?

TheReal_ND

Re: Have Videogames Run Their Course?

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Most of that trend only applies to console gaming though. PC games can still be bought, downloaded, and played offline.
There are a lot of cross platform franchises that are sucking from the dearth of good programmers and influx of blue haired feminists. Bethesda, my long time favorite, for one. Even companies that are exclusively PC based are victim to this like Paradox.

PC gaming is legit though. Only retards buy new consoles. Old consoles are still cool though.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:01 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:36 am
I missed videogames almost entirely; Pong came out just as I was looking for a wife, and then I was pursuing my own thing for decades (though I did write 2 videogames and worked for a videogame company for a short while). My kids barely played, and their friends, all Millennials, don't play. I don't hear about them all the time anymore.

And if they're going away, what's replacing them?
Being a "gamer" myself and playing almost as long as you have, I can honestly say that video games are not going anywhere. With the advent of VR, and especially AR we are seeing a world open up in the gaming environment which has yet to be explored well.

On top of that, even with massive screwups such as:
Fallout 76 (which there are rumors of being remade from scratch)
No Man's Sky (was remade)
Anthem (which I've heard they are going to be doing a 2.0 version patch which is going to remake everything again)
Star Wars Battlefront (2?), in where everything worthy was hidden behind a paywall....

Even the non-starters such as Re-Core, and a few other no-names that never went anywhere because of lack of substance...

The gaming industry is massive to the scale that only the biomedical and movie industry can compete... Last year 2018 the gaming industry brought in 133.6 Billion gross. (rough estimate)

Now, if you ask the question have we seen the peak of what has come out, the answer is yes. We saw that over 20 years ago. Nothing new has come out, except for a few random special cases, but in reality all games can find their legacy based off of probably 5 to 10 core type games.

Think about it, too many games are the same thing with different wrappers... yes the end result may be different but the core mechanics are all the same.

So in reality, the question should be, has the gaming development community run out of ideas to scam people out of playing the same 10 types of games over, and over, and over again?

The answer is no.
#NotOneRedCent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Morrowind was peak performance Bethesda. Change my mind. I like fallout 3 and Skyrim too but Morrowind is still their crown jewel.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:12 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:53 pm
Most of that trend only applies to console gaming though. PC games can still be bought, downloaded, and played offline.
There are a lot of cross platform franchises that are sucking from the dearth of good programmers and influx of blue haired feminists. Bethesda, my long time favorite, for one. Even companies that are exclusively PC based are victim to this like Paradox.

PC gaming is legit though. Only retards buy new consoles. Old consoles are still cool though.
I dont see the SJW in Bethesda they just are squeezing blood from a stone. An engine that was showing it's age almost 2 generations ago that you try to jerry rig online multiplayer onto is bullshit.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:21 pm

No I think Bethesda is just suffering from shitty programmers.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:45 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:21 pm
It's not the programmers, it's the lack of ability to go in the direction they need to by upper management not getting out of their way. Just like Activision and MS did with Bungie.
#NotOneRedCent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Could be the case. Would make sense that an innovative company becomes a victim of their own success and succumbed to shitty foreign management. That's the way most companies go.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Apparently these gaming companies are like sweatshops of computer nerds,

they just work them into the ground for no pay
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:10 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:45 pm
TheReal_ND wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:21 pm
It's not the programmers, it's the lack of ability to go in the direction they need to by upper management not getting out of their way. Just like Activision and MS did with Bungie.
That just says there will be a paradigm shift, new ideas end running the dinosaurs. I don't game but I think it will be persistent, it's part of human nature. In Iain Bank's classic Culture SF series he has godlike AI's who spend much of their time in their equivalent of SimCity.

FWIW my 17 year old daughter plays retro text based games, and my 20 year old son never really gamed, he does extreme sports like mentioned above. We never had any console but a 1st gen Wii. I had one true love, in 1982, Gravitar. Never got seriously into another major game, though I did like little games like World of Goo and Contraptions.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:17 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:07 pm
Apparently these gaming companies are like sweatshops of computer nerds,

they just work them into the ground for no pay
That's all programmers. They want to import a slave caste of shitty programmers from India and pay them peanuts. Innovation is starved by greed.