Have Videogames Run Their Course?

TheReal_ND

Re: Have Videogames Run Their Course?

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:05 am

Video games aren't going away but they are doing their best to kill them off unintentionally. The newest thing is Stadia, a retarded idea from Google. They sell a controller and the marketing gimmick is all you need is internet. Except it's a terrible idea. The subscription fee is $10/month, you have to buy the games you want which you never actually own, and then they have to be streamed to you which means unless you have the absolute best internet speeds money can buy, (which in America ain't even that great) you are looking at 10 frames per second.

This is what they want to move video games to in the future. If that's not bad enough, popular franchises are overrun with SJW's or just plain incompetent coders. It's really not a good time for video games.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:05 am

Millennials have Friendsgiving. They’re hipsters and do hipster stuff like axe-throwing in boutique breweries, extreme sports, and going to Vegas
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:08 am

a lot of single player games have an "always-online" component now too, meaning you have to be connected to the internet to even play single player games. the new diablo being the best example i can think of

i don't play videogames as much as i used to, shifting interests as i get older, most of my free time is spent on youtube now instead of playstation

that being said i'm buying a playstation for black friday, i want to play the last of us 2 when it comes out next year and god of war in the meantime

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:36 am

We don’t have a lot of data, but everything I’ve read here makes me think videogames are becoming passe’

I also think viewing YouTube is increasing. Little kids are on it all the time.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:41 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:36 am
We don’t have a lot of data, but everything I’ve read here makes me think videogames are becoming passe’

My kids are both teenagers, and most of their screen viewing is YT. They don't watch any over-the-air network television, and almost zero cable. It's YT, Netflix/Hulu binging, or video games.

I am more inclined to get news from YT than any of the MSM sources.

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:52 pm

I am a longtime gamer, and I despise the direction the industry is going. I am old school. I want my games in a physical format I own and and never play online.

Like others have mentioned, the industry is quickly moving towards an online and streaming model that lets them control the content you get. The annual releases like sports are almost completely monopolized, so you don't get choices anymore. Because the game companies know this, they release sloppy work that requires multiple patches post-release to get past beta quality. They slowly kill off the offline mode of play in favor of pay to win microtransacion models that not only get them tons of additional revenue (some pay thousands on a single game). They make past years games obsolete by no longer supporting them online, so users are "guided" towards starting all over again with their in-game purchases each year. Sadly, there are enough suckers with no will power buying into this system that it is very profitable for the game companies and gives them no reason to try anything else.

I've gone the other direction, buying older games and systems. I'd like to either buy or build an arcade cabinet with a Raspberry Pi or maybe get ATGames Legends Ultimate arcade that lets you load your own ROMs.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:53 pm

I just want to jam Wu Tang Clan while playing Tenchu Stealth Assasin

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:24 pm

I've never played online, I've just got a PS3 with NHL Hockey, Gran Turismo 5 & 6 and Metal Gear Solid

I haven't used it in awhile though, mostly played with my nephews, but they've moved beyond PS3 now.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:26 pm

Most of that trend only applies to console gaming though. PC games can still be bought, downloaded, and played offline.
Plus, they’re far more intelligent and interesting than anything available on consoles, because they can be self-published. Anything sold for consoles has to be vetted and approved for the mass market, before they start printing cds, or using their valuable server bandwidth to make it available.

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:36 am

But what are they watching on Youtube? A lot of videogames, a lot of watching other people playing videogames. I do watch a mega fuckton of youtube, but a good portion of it is videogame related.