UK election

BjornP

Re: UK election

Post by BjornP » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:47 pm

StCapps wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Calling a politician a liar, is about as effective, as calling a politician, a politician.
Whoop Dee Doo Basil.
Right.

So that old "Pocahontas" thing, when Warren pretended to be NA to get a spot in whatever college it was, hasn't hurt her candidacy and credibility?

Dismissing the whole impeachment proceedings against Trump as a fabrication, a lie based in nothing more than political hysteria or whatever... hasn't been effective when used against the Democrats? :think:
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:47 pm

StCapps wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:44 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:42 pm
StCapps wrote:
Tell that to Monte. He expects politicians not to lie if more people just challenged them on it, or if there is a law against it.

Feel free to correct the lie, but tunnel visioning on lying isn't effective, you need to make a better case than your opponent is a liar, or you going to lose the election if that is the best you got.

Calling a politician a liar, is about as effective, as calling a politician, a politician.
Whoop Dee Doo Basil.
The aim of exposing a specific lie is to inform the public that it is a lie and to stop the politician repeating the same lie.
How many times do you think the lie on a bus has been repeated since Boris was forced to admit it was a lie?

Garak Knows.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:50 pm

BjornP wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:47 pm
StCapps wrote:

Whoop Dee Doo Basil.
Right.

So that old "Pocahontas" thing, when Warren pretended to be NA to get a spot in whatever college it was, hasn't hurt her candidacy and credibility?

Dismissing the whole impeachment proceedings against Trump as a fabrication, a lie based in nothing more than political hysteria or whatever... hasn't been effective when used against the Democrats? :think:
Capps seems to think that because he thinks the best politician is the one who lies the best then everyone else thinks the same.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:51 pm

BjornP wrote:
StCapps wrote:

Whoop Dee Doo Basil.
Right.

It's not the lying that hurts her, it's what the lie says about her that hurts her. Liar is ineffective, Pocahontas is. That's why Trump focuses on the nickname and not just calling her a liar.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:50 pm
BjornP wrote:
StCapps wrote:

Whoop Dee Doo Basil.
Right.

Capps seems to think that because he thinks the best politician is the one who lies the best then everyone else thinks the same.
Not best politician, most successful politician. By that I mean success that is measured by winning elections and reducing the success of your political rivals. Since that is the main goal of the politician. Success in the Just Win Baby vein.

I'm taking about what wins elections and referendums, and if you think the most effective liars don't win all the damn time, well you aren't paying attention to politics. The most surefire way to pick who is going to win an election, is to pick the side with the most effective liar/liars.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*yip*

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:59 pm

The big lie is that the Brexit vote wasn't about leaving the EU. We are being told it was about getting a super duper deal and leaving or remaining with the already renegotiated conditions.
Everyone knew that Cameron already milked all the consetions GB would ever get.
The remainers are selling us false history. As the left always does.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
BjornP wrote:
StCapps wrote:

Whoop Dee Doo Basil.
Right.

Sure, though I think that way of thinking is most noticeable in the way he talks about and references his favourite TV shows. Hey Capps....The Wire sucks... :whistle: ;) )
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:02 pm

BjornP wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:01 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
BjornP wrote:

Right.

Sure, though I think that way of thinking is most noticeable in the way he talks about and references his favourite TV shows. Hey Capps....The Wire sucks... :whistle: ;) )
You can't even say it with a straight face, that's how good it is.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:03 pm

StCapps wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
BjornP wrote:

Right.

Not best politician, most successful politician. By that I mean success that is measured by winning elections and reducing the success of your political rivals. Since that is the main goal of the politician. Success in the Just Win Baby vein.
Well, I prefer my politicians to have the most successful policies rather than the most successful lies.
I mean, Trudeau is the most successful politician in Canada so by your logic he is the best man to lead the country.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:03 pm
StCapps wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

Well, I prefer my politicians to have the most successful policies rather than the most successful lies.
I mean, Trudeau is the most successful politician in Canada so by your logic he is the best man to lead the country.
As do I. I'm just telling what wins and what doesn't.

Liar is a loser, completely ineffective. Calling a politician a liar, is like calling a politician, a politician. If you want to fight the lies, use the lies to brand your political opponent with a more effective label than "liar" which applies to every other politician and is not distinctive in any way. You need to focus on what the lie says about the person who told it, not on the fact that they lied.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*