Re: UK election

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:59 am

StCapps wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:55 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:49 am
StCapps wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:40 am
Why don't you try attacking the argument instead of the poster? Is it because you have no good attack against the argument and have to resort to ad hominem because it's all you got?

At least when I go ad hominem, I include an argument, and it's not just all I have, unlike some people.
Wow, pot kettle black.
Tell me again how I'm just suffering from Boris Derangement Syndrome Mr Cliche.
When I say you have Bojo Derangement Syndrome, I provide an argument as to why that is the case, you just say "nuh uh".
Not at all, I give plenty of reasons for not wanting to support him but you are intellectually lazy so you just go straight to BDS just like you do when I criticise Trump.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:00 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:59 am
StCapps wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:55 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:49 am

Wow, pot kettle black.
Tell me again how I'm just suffering from Boris Derangement Syndrome Mr Cliche.
When I say you have Bojo Derangement Syndrome, I provide an argument as to why that is the case, you just say "nuh uh".
Not at all, I give plenty of reasons for not wanting to support him but you are intellectually lazy so you just go straight to BDS just like you do when I criticise Trump.
And I point out why those reasons for not supporting him are shit. You just insult people with no argument, while I insult your argument. You have no ability to tell the difference between the two apparently.

It would be one thing if the reasons you didn't support Bojo made sense based on the criteria you are judging by, but even when you set the goal posts, you can't make the kick. It's a dead giveaway that the vast majority of your misgivings with Bojo are backwards rationalizations of knee jerk emotional responses to Brexit winning the referendum.

Like I say, you want to make a case against Bojo winning a majority, go ahead and make it. I have reasons why I think the Tories will win a majority, all you have is, StCapps is Fox News.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:07 am

StCapps wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:57 am
Got an argument against a Tory majority? Go ahead and make it, otherwise you have nothing, other than insulting me and ignoring the argument. At least when I insult you, I have an argument as to why you deserve to be insulted. Also I insult arguments far more often than I insult the posters themselves, you just insult the poster and ignore the argument.
Yes. There's all the pro-Remain Conservatives, the Brexit Party splitting the vote on the right, the distaste for Boris's racist comments, his lies and his multiple extramarital affairs. There's the high support for Corbyn amongst the British youth. The rise of the Lib Dems taking votes from both main parties.
Only a fool would make such a bold prediction when so many voters admit to being undecided.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:26 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:07 am
StCapps wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:57 am
Got an argument against a Tory majority? Go ahead and make it, otherwise you have nothing, other than insulting me and ignoring the argument. At least when I insult you, I have an argument as to why you deserve to be insulted. Also I insult arguments far more often than I insult the posters themselves, you just insult the poster and ignore the argument.
Yes. There's all the pro-Remain Conservatives, the Brexit Party splitting the vote on the right, the distaste for Boris's racist comments, his lies and his multiple extramarital affairs. There's the high support for Corbyn amongst the British youth. The rise of the Lib Dems taking votes from both main parties.
Only a fool would make such a bold prediction when so many voters admit to being undecided.
Lib Dems are taking more from Labour than the Tories, and more than Brexit is taking from the Tories. Vote splitting will work in the Tories favor, not against them. Young voters don't vote. Corbyn is clearly more racist than Bojo and taking more of a hit for it at the very least. Only a fool would be clinging to these explanations that it's going to be a super close election, polls usually undervalue Conservative support and exaggerate Labour support anyway, be real, chances of a Conservative majority are quite high. Not saying it's a lock, but it's more likely than a Tory minority at this point.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:52 am

StCapps wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:26 am

Lib Dems are taking more from Labour than the Tories, and more than Brexit is taking from the Tories.
What are you basing that on? Wishful thinking?

Not saying it's a lock, but it's more likely than a Tory minority at this point.
Nice climbdown.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:20 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:47 am
Hastur wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:36 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:17 am
These anti-semitism accusations are really going to hurt Labour. The Chief Rabbi has spoken out today, saying Jeremy Corbyn is not fit to run the country.
The Labour party is only the 2nd British party to be investigated by the Equality and Human Rights Commission for racism and prejudice after the far-right BNP (British National Party).
There is a lot of antisemitism coming into Europe right now. It's a new fad. The Swedish social democrats are also dusting off their old antisemitic rhetoric. It's really popular among the new voters. Meanwhile, Social Democratic-run cities like Malmö is being abandoned by its Jewish population.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/opin ... -jews.html
Is it being influenced by the American hard right or has it always been simmering under?
I think the attacks on Corbyn are a little unfounded, he's clearly anti-Israel with his support of Hamas but there are Labour politicians in the lower ranks saying the same sorts of things Nuke says about a Jewish run media.
It hasn't reached the level of holocaust denial yet but there does seem to be an emboldening of anti-Semites under Corbyn.
I think Corbyn is motivated by his hatred of the Israeli state but I'm not convinced he's truly anti-Semitic.
On the one hand, we have the right-wing antisemitism, that resembles the NukeDog style American flavor, and on the other, the left-wing that is closer to the original euro-nazi antisemitism. They have allied with the Muslim anti-Israel anti-semitism. They use Israel as the Baily to retreat to. Oh no, they don't hate Jews, they are only legitimately concerned about zionist policy. :roll:

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:52 am
StCapps wrote:

Lib Dems are taking more from Labour than the Tories, and more than Brexit is taking from the Tories.
Basing that on the polls, that show the Lib Dems falling off and their support going all to Labour, while Brexit falls off and all their support goes to the Tories. It's fairly obvious what is happening. If Labour and Lib Dems weren't splitting the vote more than the Tories and Lib Dems are, then the Tories would grabbing a good chunk of their support, but that simply isn't the case. You think because you're a Tory that likes the Lib Dems that many Lib Dem supporters feel the same, but that is wishful thinking on you're part, voters like you are drowned out by left leaning Lib Dems, very clearly. Maybe in the past the Lib Dems have stolen support from Tories and Labour more equally, and that is where you are getting your misconception from, but that is not the case this election.

You don't even know you're own electorate, you admit that you don't even know anyone who voted for Brexit, which is no doubt why you have no idea what Brexit voters were voting for and what you think they voted for is a parade of strawmen designed to trick you into believing support for a no deal Brexit is lower than it actually is. You don't even know what Brexit supporters think, and you get all your news from the pro-EU crowd and use their talking points to strawman Brexit voters, which no doubt has a big impact on why your analysis of Brexit voters were voting for is off.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:45 am

StCapps wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 am
Montegriffo wrote:
StCapps wrote:

Basing that on the polls, that show the Lib Dems falling off and their support going all to Labour, while Brexit falls off and all their support goes to the Tories. It's fairly obvious what is happening. If Labour and Lib Dems weren't splitting the vote more than the Tories and Lib Dems are, then the Tories would grabbing a good chunk of their support, but that simply isn't the case. You think because you're a Tory that likes the Lib Dems that many Lib Dem supporters feel the same, but that is wishful thinking on you're part, voters like you are drowned out by left leaning Lib Dems, very clearly. Maybe in the past the Lib Dems have stolen support from Tories and Labour more equally, and that is where you are getting your misconception from, but that is not the case this election.
Yup. Now they are rallying to the flags. Lib Dems have clearly grown on Labour's expense. Now some are turning back. We will see if it will be enough.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:49 am

Hastur wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:45 am
StCapps wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Yup. Now they are rallying to the flags. Lib Dems have clearly grown on Labour's expense. Now some are turning back. We will see if it will be enough.

At least someone can read a poll. Unlike monte, who simply projects his views on the entire electorate when he doesn't even know one person who voted for Brexit, and clearly is not indicative of the average UK voter, despite thinking that he is.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:31 am

Hastur wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:45 am

Well if those figures could translate directly to seats in Parliament (which they can't) then the Tories still don't have a majority.
If you split it along Leave/Remain lines then Remain has a small majority.
The thing is, pro-Brexit voters in the North of England are traditional Labour voters so they have no place to go but the Brexit Party. They will never vote Tory. So the BP is drawing from Tories disappointed at the slow movement of Brexit and Labour leavers who can't bring themselves to vote Tory.
Pro-Remain Tories, likewise, have no place to go but the Lib Dems.

The Lib Dems are drawing from both parties based on their clear anti-Brexit policies and distaste for both Corbyn and Boris.

Anyone who predicts how this election is going to go with any certainty is a fool or a troll.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.