Shekel Cuckery

Ex-California

Re: Shekel Cuckery

Post by Ex-California » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:21 am

Meanwhile, here's the government take from a really busy week. It almost makes me wonder if its even worth it to take all the extra hours.

The fact that I'm seeing pretty much zero ROI for all of this money stolen from me makes it that much worse.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:58 am

Just think though, with all that money you just voluntarily paid in, the roads will be all fixed up really soon now.

How's it going over there, Cali? LTNS

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:09 am

This is working out to be a sterling tax year on the federal side.
:royalty-queen:

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:19 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:58 am
Just think though, with all that money you just voluntarily paid in, the roads will be all fixed up really soon now.
It must be going to the "rainy day fund"

Doing well, how about you?
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:41 am

California wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:19 am
Fife wrote:

Baseball is back and the birds got Goldie instead of messing with that turd Harper (sorry, clubby), so all good in the hood; now just hoping the Vols tighten it all up for a March run.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:57 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:41 am
California wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:19 am
Fife wrote:

Baseball is back and the birds got Goldie instead of messing with that turd Harper (sorry, clubby), so all good in the hood; now just hoping the Vols tighten it all up for a March run.
Ha! I'm hoping my Giants get Harper still. I love that guy. I do like the move the Padres made, its almost like the organization cares

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:08 am

There's something weird going on for sure, good on the Pads, at least in the short run. Machado >>> Harper, but 300M? Damnation.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:43 am

That's double what they've ever offered a player before, and they only gave Hosmer $144mm last year.

However, Preller was hired to make these big moves and this is the exact kind of stuff that Fowler wants to happen. They're bringing back the Brown next year as well. I think with the loss of the Chargers the Padres have realized that they're the only game in town now and they better do something to excite San Diego. They're also a historically bad organization so maybe they're trying to clean that up as well. I'll be a Giants fan for life but working with the Pads for a couple years means they'll always hold my interest now.

I miss living down there too

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 am

Great essay on the dangers of shekel cuckery:
If this America without a middle class is more politically stable than I think it will be, I suspect it will nonetheless face insuperable external challenges. China won’t have to fight a war with us; it will just outgrow us. When the differential of power and economic productivity is great enough, China will determine the strategic and economic environment in which we live. The cultural and religious environment will also be strongly influenced, if not determined, by the growth of Islam, particularly if Islam succeeds in dominating sub-Saharan Africa. Europe will have to deal with that to a greater extent than we will, of course.

I’m not sure that Hayek or Mises are the relevant texts for understanding any of this. Does a libertarian even care whether Islam displaces Christianity or China displaces America, as long as there are no tariffs on steel? You might not have freedom of religion or freedom of speech in the post-Western future, and those cheap consumer goods won’t be so cheap any more, but a libertarian will rest content knowing he fought to import as much foreign-subsidized steel as possible. This is why I consider libertarianism to be every bit as much a suicidal ideology as left-liberalism. In some ways it is even more so, as libertarians are more oblivious than left-liberals to the consequences for themselves of hewing to their ideology.
https://spectator.us/libertarians-wrong/

What the fuck does it take to shake sense into these fucking people?

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:27 am

Daniel McCarthy is the intellectual fallback now. :lol:

googlelibertarianbadtradewargood.exe

Well done.

Here's something for you normies to read in addition:

https://mises.org/wire/response-daniel- ... -are-wrong
But why not focus on reducing political power altogether, especially centralized political power? Social conservatives, even the most well-intentioned and thoughtful, have no answer to the aforementioned collapse of Christianity as an animating force in America. The country is not going to vote its way back into any kind of cultural condition favored by Mr. McCarthy or the Rod Drehers of the world (Mr. Dreher also writes for The American Conservative). Progressivism dominates every sphere of public life in America, and increasingly intrudes into private life as well. So however far-fetched McCarthy might find libertarianism as a political project, the prospects for a President Rand Paul exceed those of a Mike Huckabee or a red state evangelical governor. McCarthy might not see decentralization of state power as a viable strategy, but at this point it's the only strategy his conservative readers have left, short of expatriation.

Only libertarians offer a critique of centralized power in the current environment, and only libertarians offer "live and let live" as a solution to the cultural rancor and political rancor all around us. Only libertarians propose real money, reality-based economics, and abolition rather than reform of doomed government programs. Only libertarians offer any just or humane approach to the question of what politically-vanquished people might do via decentralization and subsidiarity. Realistic conservatives should acknowledge the role the state has served in destroying the culture they claim to want to conserve.