We just need to #EndWhiteness and the environment will be fixed. LOL

BjornP

Re: The Green Leap Forward

Post by BjornP » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:25 am

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:47 pm
@ Bjorn
I think we're pretty well in agreement.
Add the complete disregard Chinese people have for nature (everyone will just throw their garbage whereever they like and not give a shit about it)
This is a key point.

The grave is talking about waste generated, not how it is disposed of or recycled. Pollutants are not polluting until they are dispersed. This is where Western nations are very responsible, and the remainder of the world does poorly to criminal in the case of places like China.

The real blackmark in my mind for the west is that we ship stuff like E-waste off to asia to be recycled. Little kids spend their days breaking up mother boards and melting down computers completely uncontrolled.
Fairly recently, China announced that they would, I forget if they completely banned the import of, or just severely restricted, the import of foreign waste.

And regarding your point: Indeed, yet we did not become better by pointing to countries like China, Bangladesh or Somalia and saying: "At least we're doing better than them". It is not in dispute that we quite simply are better than China in everything but putting dissidents into government brainwashing camps. It's just that.. that's not really much of an accomplishment. It's useful to compare strengths and weaknesses, but we risk becoming stagnant as cultures and civilizations if that descends into whataboutism.

I don't want a global government overseeing which countries must invest in reducing pollution and pollutants and by how much. I want that to be up the individual countries' governments (and in democracies, societies) of the world. I don't really care if China suffocates its own people in smog so thick you can cut it with a knife and let all their children drown in putrid, polluted waters. I do get a bit annoyed, though, at stories about how their fishing fleets now having overfished their own coastal fishing populations out of existence, lead to Chinese fishermen fishing in Korean and Japanese waters. It's like they've been incapable of understanding that short term gains can be detrimental to success in the longer term.

But at the end of the day, their failure as a nation and a country have nothing to do with the sort of investments (and I don't much care if they're private or public) we ought to put into pollution-reducing technologies and techniques. We worry about our homes, they....don't. They'll copy whatever technological advances we make in the future anyway, and apply them if they see a benefit to that.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:43 am

Bill Gates on Energy.

Helpful timestamp:

9:00 Gates restates Vaclav Smil observations on Tokyo energy requirements. "Tell me what battery solution is going to sit there and provide that power?" That's nothing that doesn't solve the reliability problem.

9:37 "Clean Energy" and the narrow perspective of recent clean energy conference. What about manufacturing of steel? What about flying planes in the sky?

11:23 The idea "we have all the tools" and utility people are blocking climate progress because they're evil people are more of a block on climate progress than climate denialism.

11:50 You need nuclear fission or fusion running 24/7. If renewable then need a monster miracle in grid storage. A battery you only need once-per-year but is cheap (for rest of year).

13:00 Transport problems other than cars. 24% of emissions are agricultural and meat. Very difficult. Is why Gates funds "Beyond Meat" type products.

15:00 Magnitude of problem if people think biz-as-usual and carbon can be captured and stored (on top of biz-as-usual).

16:11 Improving photosynthetic efficiency. Factor of 2 to be had.

18:40 Nuclear. Cost competitiveness.

20:10 Nuclear safest form of energy per output. Today's designs pathetic, needs to be redone for digital age. So no pressure anywhere. 4th Gen Nuclear, TerraPower is ONLY well-funded project. "Nuclear in China is cheaper than coal."

21:45 We shut down FFTF, and China is building needed test facilities (nuclear).

23:00 What possible reward do utilities have for taking risk on new energy technologies?

23:38 Anything you do in energy today won't scale up until your patents expire.

24:00 Fusion economics is hard. Fission has neutrons that degrade material is toughest part of Travelling Wave Reactor (TWR). Fusions neutrons far more energetic.

28:10 No big play fission companies, but in fusion quite a few. Some look sketchy but thank God they're trying.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:57 am

Why should any of us believe what they say, when they themselves pay it no attention
Al Gore leaves his rental car running while he gives a Climate Change Speech

https://godfatherpolitics.com/global-wa ... ng-speech/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Idiots Attract, my Idiot Attraction Theorum has been proven as solid science again.

Bill Nye, the climate activist and renowned television host of “Bill Nye The Science Guy,” came out in support of the Green New Deal, a plan to combat climate change by investing in eco-friendly jobs.
“AOC gets it. She sees that fear is dividing us. We can address income inequality.

We can address climate change, if we get together and get to work. #SXSW @AOC,” Nye tweeted with a photo of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), one of the plans most vocal advocates.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:49 pm

They think they can stop us from burying the coastal cities beneath the ocean. LOL

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm trying to figure out where to put New New Orleans.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Fife wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:29 pm
With the fishes, where it belongs.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:39 pm
Fife wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:29 pm
With the fishes, where it belongs.
Everything south of the northern city limit of Atlanta needs to go.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Climate Faggots make me sick. Anyone who is an "environmentalist" should get sterilized and/or sign a legal document agreeing to not have kids. I would take them seriously if they did that and stopped consuming. Otherwise, they are hypocritical morons who are trying to put a bandaid on cancer. I'm not an environmentalist nor do I care about these unsolveable issues, but that is where the conversation starts. This is a fact.
Shikata ga nai