The Green Leap Forward

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Green Leap Forward

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 am

Pro-tip: a lot of people in the alt media, and even people on social media, are reacting to AOC like liberals react to Trump. Chill. She is trolling the fuck out of you.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:08 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:15 am
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 am
It doesn't work without nuclear. People are talking about this as if all power waveforms are substitutable. They are not. You are not going to run a modern industry on the wind and solar power we generate today. What you get out of our coal/gas/nuclear power plants is perfectly formed AC power at a steady rate. To plug in solar and wind energy causes so many problems to the grid it's almost not worth it.

Great for local things like small farms or running a water pump. Not so great on the grid.
The power can be regulated pretty easily. The real problem is storage. The entire thing depends on better mass battery technology.

Incorrect. It's more complicated than that. You get harmonic problems that wreck the grid.
That’s what transformers are for. Do you imagine that steam turbines are naturally putting out 60Hz AC power? We already do this.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:20 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:08 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:15 am

The power can be regulated pretty easily. The real problem is storage. The entire thing depends on better mass battery technology.

Incorrect. It's more complicated than that. You get harmonic problems that wreck the grid.
That’s what transformers are for. Do you imagine that steam turbines are naturally putting out 60Hz AC power? We already do this.

That is not what transformers are for. You do not understand what I am talking about. I barely do myself. There is weird harmonic shit caused by wind turbines that can fuck up the power grid. It is not easily solved either.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:45 am

DBTrek wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:05 am
She’s claiming the supplemental document never existed, or was doctored by Republicans? WTF?
It was the Russians
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 am

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:20 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

That is not what transformers are for. You do not understand what I am talking about. I barely do myself. There is weird harmonic shit caused by wind turbines that can fuck up the power grid. It is not easily solved either.
You’re right, capacitors are used for that.

https://www.ecmweb.com/power-quality/ef ... er-systems

Still, this is not a problem beyond engineering capabilities. The real issue is still power storage.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:15 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 am
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:20 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

You’re right, capacitors are used for that.

https://www.ecmweb.com/power-quality/ef ... er-systems

Still, this is not a problem beyond engineering capabilities. The real issue is still power storage.
Storage is definitely a big problem.

The big grid issue with many diverse solar/wind installations feeding into the grid is the phase control though... All power sources need to sync up to be in phase with the others, the more out of sync they are the more they'll effectively cancel out of cause lots of problems for motors, etc, that rely on 60Hz in fairly consistent phase (it does vary even with a limited number of production plants, but minorly). Maintaining that fairly consistent 60Hz means every source of electric production needs to sync up to the grid before it supplies power into it... Far easier with 50 large power plants than with 100,000 little sources, much less millions.

Don't get me wrong, cutting your usage with solar on your roof is a good thing, maybe even a small wind turbine in your yard... Millions of people over-producing and feeding the surplus back into the grid raises the complexity and chance of problems though.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 pm

I fail to understand why this capability wouldn’t be built into every solar/wind installation.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Yeah, I am all for people reducing their grid load with solar and wind.

I am NOT in favor of the subsidized wind and solar farm boondoggle.

Power the little household things with owner-controlled solar and wind power that does not go on the grid. Run the grid with Thorium reactors.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Bingo.
I've read that corporate Wind and Solar interests have already gotten laws passed to prevent micro poducers. They want a subsidized monopoly. One of the challenges is keeping large corporate interests from taking over future energy sources.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:12 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Bingo.
I've read that corporate Wind and Solar interests have already gotten laws passed to prevent micro poducers. They want a subsidized monopoly. One of the challenges is keeping large corporate interests from taking over future energy sources.
I’m sure our government will stand up for our interests against the megacorps. After all, the free market never allows monopolization.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace