Nuclear Power: Danger Depends on State of Political Appointment

DBTrek

Nuclear Power: Danger Depends on State of Political Appointment

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am

Former top regulator now says nuclear power 'hazardous'

The former top regulator of nuclear power in America, who in the midst of an international crisis promoted U.S. nuclear power plants as operating "safely and securely," now says in an explosive new book that the United States should abandon the "failed technology" altogether.

"I now believe that nuclear power is more hazardous than it is worth," Greg Jaczko writes in his debut book, "Confessions of a Rogue Nuclear Regulator," which is based on his three years as chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission under President Barack Obama.

"Because the industry relies too much on controlling its own regulation, the continued use of nuclear power will lead to catastrophe in this country or somewhere else in the world. This is a truth we all must confront," Jaczko wrote. . . .

https://www.wtae.com/article/former-top ... D=ref_fark
When I was Obama's Top Regulator: Man, this nuclear power shit is safe and secure as fuck.

When I was Out of a Job: EVERYBODY PANIC!

:lol:

Someone get Monte in here to regale me with ballads of the unyielding virtue of government regulators again.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

nmoore63

Re: Nuclear Power: Danger Depends on State of Political Appointment

Post by nmoore63 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 am

He's saying two different things.

A failed technology and one that owns its regulators are not the same thing.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 am

"Nuclear regulator"

LOL

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:35 am

Wolf in sheep's clothing all along.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:45 am

I will take my advice from men who actually know how to build a nuclear reactor. Being a "regulator" does not make you an expert on anything but being a fucking bureaucrat.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 am

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am
Former top regulator now says nuclear power 'hazardous'

The former top regulator of nuclear power in America, who in the midst of an international crisis promoted U.S. nuclear power plants as operating "safely and securely," now says in an explosive new book that the United States should abandon the "failed technology" altogether.

"I now believe that nuclear power is more hazardous than it is worth," Greg Jaczko writes in his debut book, "Confessions of a Rogue Nuclear Regulator," which is based on his three years as chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission under President Barack Obama.

"Because the industry relies too much on controlling its own regulation, the continued use of nuclear power will lead to catastrophe in this country or somewhere else in the world. This is a truth we all must confront," Jaczko wrote. . . .

https://www.wtae.com/article/former-top ... D=ref_fark
When I was Obama's Top Regulator: Man, this nuclear power shit is safe and secure as fuck.

When I was Out of a Job: EVERYBODY PANIC!

Someone get Monte in here to regale me with ballads of the unyielding virtue of government regulators again.
You want no safety regulations at nuclear power plants?
That's going to be a hard sell even amongst the no govt' interference crowd here on the MHF.
Maybe you think a non-govt', free market solution with open tender would guarantee safety where an independent not for profit govt' body would fail.
Personally, I'll stick with the type of regulation which doesn't incentivise cost cutting when it comes to nuclear safety.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:57 am

I have no problem with regulations, especially at nuclear power plants.

I just want "regulators" to regulate and leave actually building shit to people who know how to build it. Being a regulator does not make you an expert on what is safely possible and what is not. You just apply the law to business practices.

I don't care how many degrees a person has. They either know how to do it or not. Most likely, those who do not will gravitate towards "regulation", which is fine, but that doesn't make them a great resource on public policy where it comes to what is possible.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:45 am
I will take my advice from men who actually know how to build a nuclear reactor. Being a "regulator" does not make you an expert on anything but being a fucking bureaucrat.
I'm sure if Trump appointed this clown as the top regulator of nuclear power, things would swiftly go back to being safe and secure.
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 am
Personally, I'll stick with the type of regulation which doesn't incentivise cost cutting when it comes to nuclear safety.
Funny, that's what we have now and our ex-top nuclear regulator says it's absolute shit and a danger we all need to be aware of.
:think:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:45 am
I'm sure if Trump appointed this clown as the top regulator of nuclear power, things would swiftly go back to being safe and secure.
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 am
Funny, that's what we have now and our ex-top nuclear regulator says it's absolute shit and a danger we all need to be aware of.
:think:
You think regulators with a profit motive will do a better job?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 pm
You think regulators with a profit motive will do a better job?
No, I think safety regulations fall within the purview of government. But Obama's top nuclear regulator is out here sounding alarm bells. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows more about the current state of government regulation, me or the former US top nuclear regulator?

That's why I wanted you here Monte. Just want to see you tap dance around a top government regulator claiming that government regulation of the nuclear power industry is a disaster.

What now, fancy pants?