25 year old man loses sponsors over remarks father made 30 years ago.

jediuser598

25 year old man loses sponsors over remarks father made 30 years ago.

Post by jediuser598 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:48 pm

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (AP) — Lilly Diabetes has pulled its sponsorship of Conor Daly’s No. 6 car in the NASCAR Xfinity race at Road America, citing a racially insensitive remark made by the driver’s father in the 1980s that surfaced this week.

Lilly said in a statement Friday that its sponsorship was intended to raise awareness for treatment options and resources for people living with diabetes.

“Unfortunately, the comments that surfaced this week by Derek Daly distract from this focus, so we have made the decision that Lilly Diabetes will no longer run the No. 6 at Road America this weekend,” Lilly said.

Primarily an IndyCar driver, Conor Daly will make his NASCAR debut at the rural Wisconsin road course Saturday with Roush Fenway Racing.

“The last (24 hours) have been quite an unnecessarily difficult ride for my family. There is A LOT I want to say ... but I’m still here and still racing,” Daly wrote on Twitter on Friday night.

Lilly Diabetes is still sponsoring the RFR-owned cars of drivers Ty Majeski and Ryan Reed at Road America.

“We remain committed to our mission of supporting people with diabetes,” Lilly said.

The Indianapolis Star reported that Derek Daly has denied being the original source of a racial slur that led to the retirement of longtime Indianapolis Colts radio voice Bob Lamey last weekend.

WISH-TV reported that Daly was the source in a story Wednesday. It also led to the station severing its ties with Daly, a freelance racing analyst. Daly is a former CART and Formula One driver.

In a statement , Daly said he admitted to using a racial slur for African-Americans during a radio interview in the early 1980s. Daly, who had just moved to the United States then, said the term had a different meaning and connotation in his native Ireland.

Daly said he was “mortified’” when he learned how the term was used in the United States and has never used it since then. Conor Daly, 26, wasn’t born when his father made the comment.

“Finally, I want everyone to know I deeply regret and sincerely apologize for what I said more than three decades ago,” the elder Daly said in his statement.

His son thanked Roush Fenway and Twitter followers for their support. He also thanked his former sponsor.

“Lilly Diabetes has been a big part of my career and I’m very thankful,” Daly wrote.
https://www.apnews.com/706ec729f2834df591f4cc058d817d55
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

pineapplemike

Re: 25 year old man loses sponsors over remarks father made 30 years ago.

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:11 pm

that article doesn't even say what he said besides "a slur for african americans," of which i can think of several

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:12 pm

The sins of the social justice religion hath no forgiveness.
And guilt is not necessary to extract atonement.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:15 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:11 pm
that article doesn't even say what he said besides "a slur for african americans," of which i can think of several
An Irish slur for African Americans that is exponentially more horrible in America.
I'm intrigued.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:16 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:15 pm
pineapplemike wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:11 pm
An Irish slur for African Americans that is exponentially more horrible in America.
I'm intrigued.
Yardie

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Me thinks Jedi is celebrating this punishment.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:40 am

You will be held responsible for anything you or your relatives have done throughout history, any past associations with objectionable groups, etc.

Oh yeah, unless you are a democrat SJW, then the fact that your party was the party of slavery and the KKK, well, that's ok - no blame for that. :roll:

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:45 am

Ph64 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:40 am
You will be held responsible for anything you or your relatives have done throughout history, any past associations with objectionable groups, etc.

Oh yeah, unless you are a democrat SJW, then the fact that your party was the party of slavery and the KKK, well, that's ok - no blame for that. :roll:
They’re still irate that Al Franken was held to account for molesting a sleeping soldier. HOW DARE THE #METOO STANDARD BE APPLIED TO A DEMOCRAT!!!
:lol:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/ ... 20-1014697
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"