2018 Man or Womanperson of the Year

pineapplemike

2018 Man or Womanperson of the Year

Post by pineapplemike » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm

I've been trying to think of a good choice for the past year but I'm coming up short, no one stands out above everyone else. I dubiously named Harvey Weinstein for 2017, and 2016 was clearly Donald Trump, but I'm stumped on 2018.

After some thought I suppose I'd pick Jordan Peterson, he's certainly been influential worldwide this past year but I may be overestimating his impact compared to some other choices

Not too impressed looking at TIME's full list either
Christine Blasey Ford captivated a nation with her powerful Senate testimony during a divisive confirmation process for Supreme Court justice Brett Kavanaugh, who faced multiple allegations of sexual misconduct, which he denied. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi oversaw a Democratic victory in the midterm elections as her party took control of the House, but she now faces opposition in her effort to again become House Speaker. Stacey Abrams ran a competitive gubernatorial campaign in Georgia that drew national attention and ended with a warning about “the erosion of our democracy” due to controversy around voting barriers

Jon Chu directed Crazy Rich Asians, which became the top-grossing romantic comedy in the U.S. in 10 years and the first major motion picture featuring an all-Asian cast and Asian-American leads since The Joy Luck Club in 1993. Ryan Coogler directed Black Panther, which broke numerous box office records and marked a milestone in Hollywood for its representation of a black, multifaceted superhero.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos became the richest man in modern history, a record that also cast a stark spotlight on economic disparity in the United States. And Meghan Markle became a member of the British royal family, challenging conventions as she married Prince Harry in a historic ceremony that celebrated her heritage alongside royal traditions.

The full list offered in the accompanying poll also includes: Melania Trump, Brett Kavanaugh, Maxine Waters, Cory Booker, Jeff Flake, Susan Collins, Simone Biles, undocumented children, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Angela Merkel, Mohammed bin Salman, Donald Glover, Colin Kaepernick, Justin Trudeau, Pope Francis, Xi Jinping, Elon Musk, Robert Mueller, Carmen Yulin Cruz, Mark Zuckerberg, Emmanuel Macron, Stormy Daniels, BTS, Lisa Murkowski, Moon Jae-in, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Michelle Obama, Ariana Grande, Jack Dorsey, Cardi B, Kim Jong-un, Kanye West, LeBron James, Mitch McConnell, Mike Pompeo, Rod Rosenstein, Aly Raisman, Kamala Harris, Serena Williams, the Thai cave divers, Lady Gaga, planet earth, Jair Bolsonaro and Sandra Oh.
Who you got? I bet they'll pick Mueller or "undocumented children"

TheReal_ND

Re: 2018 Man or Womanperson of the Year

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:04 pm

McCain's tumor

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Tommy Robinson's Muslim cellmate/lover.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Winner will be whomever offers TIME editors the opportunity to bash Trump the most . .. so I'd bet on Michelle Obama or Robert Mueller. Edge to Michelle because she's not a straight white male.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Jim Acosta FTW

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:03 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm
I've been trying to think of a good choice for the past year but I'm coming up short, no one stands out above everyone else. I dubiously named Harvey Weinstein for 2017, and 2016 was clearly Donald Trump, but I'm stumped on 2018.

After some thought I suppose I'd pick Jordan Peterson, he's certainly been influential worldwide this past year but I may be overestimating his impact compared to some other choices

Not too impressed looking at TIME's full list either
Christine Blasey Ford captivated a nation with her powerful Senate testimony during a divisive confirmation process for Supreme Court justice Brett Kavanaugh, who faced multiple allegations of sexual misconduct, which he denied. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi oversaw a Democratic victory in the midterm elections as her party took control of the House, but she now faces opposition in her effort to again become House Speaker. Stacey Abrams ran a competitive gubernatorial campaign in Georgia that drew national attention and ended with a warning about “the erosion of our democracy” due to controversy around voting barriers

Jon Chu directed Crazy Rich Asians, which became the top-grossing romantic comedy in the U.S. in 10 years and the first major motion picture featuring an all-Asian cast and Asian-American leads since The Joy Luck Club in 1993. Ryan Coogler directed Black Panther, which broke numerous box office records and marked a milestone in Hollywood for its representation of a black, multifaceted superhero.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos became the richest man in modern history, a record that also cast a stark spotlight on economic disparity in the United States. And Meghan Markle became a member of the British royal family, challenging conventions as she married Prince Harry in a historic ceremony that celebrated her heritage alongside royal traditions.

The full list offered in the accompanying poll also includes: Melania Trump, Brett Kavanaugh, Maxine Waters, Cory Booker, Jeff Flake, Susan Collins, Simone Biles, undocumented children, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Angela Merkel, Mohammed bin Salman, Donald Glover, Colin Kaepernick, Justin Trudeau, Pope Francis, Xi Jinping, Elon Musk, Robert Mueller, Carmen Yulin Cruz, Mark Zuckerberg, Emmanuel Macron, Stormy Daniels, BTS, Lisa Murkowski, Moon Jae-in, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Michelle Obama, Ariana Grande, Jack Dorsey, Cardi B, Kim Jong-un, Kanye West, LeBron James, Mitch McConnell, Mike Pompeo, Rod Rosenstein, Aly Raisman, Kamala Harris, Serena Williams, the Thai cave divers, Lady Gaga, planet earth, Jair Bolsonaro and Sandra Oh.
Who you got? I bet they'll pick Mueller or "undocumented children"
From that list I'd pick the Thai cave divers. At least they did something heroic.

I know, I know, nowhere near as heroic as Bruce/Caitlyn Gender, but nobody could possibly be that heroic ever again in history. :doh: :twisted:

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Oh yeah lol. Elon Musk has had an interesting year in the limelight. I change my vote to him.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:20 pm

"Christine Blasey Ford"

Think about that.
Everything that happened on Earth in 2018 ... what was her contribution again?

Oh yeah, I remember, unsubstantiated attempted rape accusations that even her friends wouldn't back up.
Definitely Person of the Year material.
Bravo, TIME.
Serious journalism.

lulz
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Who?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Who the fuck put Maxine waters on that list lol
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0