HAPPENING: /Ourguys/ Burning Federal Buildings and Degenerate Art Museums In France

Smitty-48

Re: HAPPENING: /Ourguys/ Burning Federal Buildings and Degenerate Art Museums In France

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:45 pm

The Third Reich will always have a glory which cannot be taken from them.

The defeat of France in 1940.

It was simply an exquisitely executed military operation for the ages, in a technical sense.

The crossing of the Meuse at Sedan in particular, that was Caesar's Legions type shit right thur.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Re: HAPPENING: /Ourguys/ Burning Federal Buildings and Degenerate Art Museums In France

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:43 am

I'm just coming up to Falaise.
This is where the German forces retreating from Caen after the Normandy landings were encircled and given a good spanking by the air force.
How'd you like your Blitzkrieg now Jerry?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:45 am

So long as Gerry was captured by the Americans, I'd say he was happy.

As I remember it, West Germany was pretty cushy.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:02 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:45 am
So long as Gerry was captured by the Americans, I'd say he was happy.

As I remember it, West Germany was pretty cushy.
Jerry, with a J.
Jerry was a nickname given to Germans during the Second World War by soldiers and civilians of the Allied nations, in particular by the British. The nickname was originally created during World War I,[12] but it did not find common use until World War II.[12]

The name Jerry was probably derived from the stahlhelm introduced in 1916, which was said by British soldiers to resemble a chamber pot or Jeroboam.[13][14] Alternatively, it may be a simple alteration of the word German.[1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... or_Germans

...and yes, West Germany was pretty cushy. I lived there just 27 years after the war ended and they were much richer than us even then.
They put up with a lot of shit from us army brats too. Every 6th June the British kids used to form big gangs and chase all the German kids out of the park. I don't remember any real violence but I was only 7, the bigger kids might have slapped around anyone they caught but I never actually saw it.
Whenever I met German kids on our camping holidays they were pretty cool, my parents used to tell me to hide my war comics so as not to offend but little Jerries thought they were great. I guess they hadn't seen anything like them before.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:02 pm

I met lots of Nazis in West Germany.

We were soldiers, they were soldiers.

To us, they didn't make any bones.

They showed us their tattoos, they showed us their war photos.

They weren't hostile, they said they respected the Canadians, they didn't have any beef against us.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:28 pm

What I thought at the time was; the Nazi veterans are the same as our veterans.

Everybody was mass murdering at the infantry soldier level.

Whatever the larger causes were, troops were just killing to survive.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:33 am

I remember my father saying that whenever he met a German who had been in the war they always used to say "I fought against the Russians in the East not against the British". Dad didn't always believe them.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:41 am

As I recall, the British were not well liked in West Germany.

Everybody loved us Canadians tho.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:49 am

For example, only the British troops were banned from bars.

Never seen any other troops banned from a bar, including the Americans.

But there were many bars who simply would not let the Brits in.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:51 am

Sometimes they would think we were Brits and they wouldn't let us in until we proved we were Canadians.
Nec Aspera Terrent