Civil War Doomsday Clock

Speaker to Animals

Re: Civil War Doomsday Clock

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 am

TC, he really did accomplish a lot in computer science and in computer graphics / animation.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 20, 2019 6:55 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:56 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:53 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:50 pm

So there’s Engineering and Everything Else, eh?
Interesting outlook there.

And the fact that SQL Server, like automobiles, plastic straws, and everything else in the modern world was designed by someone calling themselves an engineer clearly delineated the two. All implementations of Windows, for example, are the result of The Engineer Class, not the Others.

Fascinating, really.

No, dipshit. You are just ignorant. That part is not my problem.

Pro tip: when the degree you need is in these broad areas called "science" and "engineering", it's not a trade. LOL
Gets a Bachelors Degree of Science in Economics. Declares himself an Engineer.
M.S. Computer Science, actually.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:39 am
The Conservative wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:00 pm
I’d offer my wisdom here but no one gives a fuck. I’d did both design and implementation during my career. They are definitely not the same thing nor do they overlap much.
Wisdom given, and not earned is rarely respected.
PhD in Computer Science who also wrote over a 1,000,000 lines of code. Professional Engineer who wired my house and built a computer from scratch. (I mean I etched the circuit board and soldered diodes for ROM.)

p.s. The quote's good though.
I have 30 years in the IT field. Director of IT/Infrastructure of a multi-Billion dollar company. (30k users.) and in charge of over 100 people world wide.

I’ve designed infrastructures from scratch, I’ve built network systems that have to work through the great firewall of China.

I’ve built networks and systems for homes, wiring the entire house.

I don’t have a degree, what I have is decades is sweat and failures, as well as successes to fall back on. Reading hundreds of books and websites to fill the gaps of my knowledge.

I’ve also written 150k lines of code for a single app I created from scratch. (Inventory control system software)

The point is, that education gets you in the door, experience keeps you there.

I am not saying what you have done isn’t impressive, but the point is that people with real world experience sometimes is just as useful as someone with an advanced degree.

PS. Thanks about the “quote”
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am

Martin Hash wrote:
PhD in Computer Science who also wrote over a 1,000,000 lines of code. Professional Engineer who wired my house and built a computer from scratch. (I mean I etched the circuit board and soldered diodes for ROM.)

I've built a lot of stuff in my time, and I continue to build things, amass new skills and improve on existing skills. We are not a nation of doers anymore. In the 90's the US picked the US as a service based economy. Now, I don't know enough about coding or etching a circuit board to fully grasp the difficulties of that work. Although I can see your house wiring, plumbing, HVAC and framing in my head because I've done so much of it.

I can see why people may not appreciate your accomplishements. First they can't relate to it that well, second in a consumer/service economy you don't make much. You consume and deliver pre-produced goods. People take for granted the products they use everyday, from the electricity that lights their home when they flick the switch to burger they put on their grill on Memorial Day. Damn few of us think about all the production steps it takes to have 21st C first world society. If they don't respect the product, they sure as hell aren't going to respect the guy who produced it.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 20, 2019 9:15 am

My father was a 9/11 First Responder as well as the inspiration for Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story. He made a career out of inspiring African American Youth and fighting for the civil liberties of the downtrodden, especially muslims.

You guys might have better qualifications (on paper, anyway), but my father was extremely important man and I have some of his genes in me. I may be young, but I've got dreams. I've got dreams.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 20, 2019 9:17 am

The Conservative wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 am
Martin Hash wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Wisdom given, and not earned is rarely respected.

I have 30 years in the IT field. Director of IT/Infrastructure of a multi-Billion dollar company. (30k users.) and in charge of over 100 people world wide.

I’ve designed infrastructures from scratch, I’ve built network systems that have to work through the great firewall of China.

I’ve built networks and systems for homes, wiring the entire house.

I don’t have a degree, what I have is decades is sweat and failures, as well as successes to fall back on. Reading hundreds of books and websites to fill the gaps of my knowledge.

I’ve also written 150k lines of code for a single app I created from scratch. (Inventory control system software)

The point is, that education gets you in the door, experience keeps you there.

I am not saying what you have done isn’t impressive, but the point is that people with real world experience sometimes is just as useful as someone with an advanced degree.

PS. Thanks about the “quote”

The point is, Martin was responsible for a major animation software kit in the 1990s. That's not resting on a degree. He built commercial software. Was successful.

I can tell you about software engineering from the perspective of the guy writing code in a cubicle. Martin ran the entire business and put something to market.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 20, 2019 9:21 am

And yet when I make a successful thread you are nowhere to be found dude. Why don't you ever defend my accomplishments when Kath and Penner try to throw shade on them?
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 20, 2019 9:23 am

heydaralon wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:21 am
And yet when I make a successful thread you are nowhere to be found dude. Why don't you ever defend my accomplishments when Kath and Penner try to throw shade on them?
Thots chase after accomplishments and glory. You should just accept that they are on your shit because you are so successful and move on.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 am

heydaralon wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:21 am
It's lonely at the top for a guy like you HeyDay ;)
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 am

They say it's lonely at the top in whatever you do
You always gotta watch motherfuckers around you
Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof
We all must meet our moment of truth