SCOTUS and Qualified Immunity

Fife

SCOTUS and Qualified Immunity

Post by Fife » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:04 am

Baude, William, Is Qualified Immunity Unlawful? (February 18, 2018). 106 California Law Review 45, 2018; U of Chicago, Public Law Working Paper No. 610:

Is Qualified Immunity Unlawful?
Abstract

The doctrine of qualified immunity operates as an unwritten defense to civil rights lawsuits brought under 42 U.S.C. § 1983. It prevents plaintiffs from recovering damages for violations of their constitutional rights unless a government official violated “clearly established law,” which usually requires specific precedent on point. This Article argues that the qualified immunity doctrine is unlawful and inconsistent with conventional principles of statutory interpretation.

Members of the Supreme Court have offered three different justifications for imposing this unwritten defense on the text of Section 1983. First, that the doctrine of qualified immunity derives from a common-law “good-faith” defense. Second, that it compensates for an earlier putative mistake in broadening the statute. Third, that it provides “fair warning” to government officials, akin to the rule of lenity.

On closer examination, each of these justifications falls apart for a mix of historical, conceptual, and doctrinal reasons. There was no such defense; there was no such mistake; lenity ought not apply. Furthermore, even if these things were otherwise, the doctrine of qualified immunity would not be the best response.

The unlawfulness of qualified immunity is of particular importance now. Despite its shoddy foundations, the Supreme Court has been formally and informally reinforcing the doctrine of immunity. In particular, the Court has given qualified immunity a privileged place on its agenda reserved for habeas deference and few other legal doctrines. Rather than doubling down, the Court ought to be beating a retreat.

The Police State is quite happy with how things are going, thankyouverymuch.

What are the odds on SCOTUS or Congress dismantling Qualified Immunity?

/smh

The Supreme Court's Continuing Immunity Crusade
A few thoughts on today's summary reversal in Kisela v. Hughes.

Today's "dog bites man" story from the Supreme Court is a summary reversal in Kisela v. Hughes, the latest reversal of a Ninth Circuit opinion that had denied qualified immunity to a police officer. An Arizona police officer shot a woman who was holding a kitchen knife because he (seemingly mistakenly) believed that she was a threat to her roommate, who was standing about six feet away. In a per curiam opinion, the Supreme Court held that the police officer could not be held liable for the unreasonable use of deadly force, because it was "far from an obvious case" in light of the urgency of the situation and the woman's strange behavior. By my count, this is the fifth such summary reversal in the past four years. (It also means that a list of qualified immunity cases in an article I published in February is already out of date.)

. . .

I have criticized the Court's qualified immunity doctrine at length, but I do understand that one might disagree, especially if one believes in evolving judge-made law (see this draft response from Hillel Levin and Mike Wells) or might think the issue so settled by stare decisis that my critiques are merely academic. Still, it is worth noting that the Court treats qualified immunity not just as ordinary settled law, but as an area of law so important that it is worth deciding a series of factbound cases that would never earn the Court's attention if they involved a different legal issue. Moreover, the Court seems uninterested or unable to find such cases where a lower court wrongly denied relief to a person whose constitutional rights were violated.

I remain unconvinced that this special legal treatment has a good legal basis.
https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/293028/

Any arguments against private insurance being able to address this situation, sans qualified immunity?

C-Mag

Re: SCOTUS and Qualified Immunity

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:13 am

+1

In your opinion what are our chances of winning this ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 am

Municipalities already carry liability insurance. Forcing cops to buy & maintain their own OTJ coverage? Gee, I can’t imagine any problems there!

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:51 am

Qualified Immunity is largely garbage.

Ignorance of the Law has never been an excuse for anyone else before.

That being said, I don't see any hope for progress in this area.

Waste effort else where.

Responsibility is not IN these days.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:53 am

nmoore63 wrote:Qualified Immunity is largely garbage.

Waste effort else where.

Shut up prole - The King can do what he fucking pleases.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:09 am

Zlaxer wrote:
nmoore63 wrote:Qualified Immunity is largely garbage.

Waste effort else where.

Shut up prole - The King can do what he fucking pleases.
There is value in not fighting every possible battle.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:44 am

Even in losing that battle, the police don't really win. The more stink is made about it, coupled with all of these shootings of unarmed people with defenses that the rest of us could never have gotten away with.. the more people turn on this silly blue line bullshit.

Police openly advocating for special rights to essentially legally murder innocent people is not exactly the best optics.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:48 am

As far as responsibility not being "in".. responsibility is totally "in". It's just being required of the wrong people. Men are responsible for all the stupid shit that women do. Whites are responsible for all the stupid shit racial minorities do. Police in general get an exemption because they are a large public union, just as teachers can't be held responsible for graduating illiterate students. Somehow, the white man who doesn't work in a government sector union is responsible. It's just a matter of pinning the blame and making him (or all of us) pay for it somehow.

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:49 am

1. qrd?
2. Should I load my shotgun??
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:54 am

kybkh wrote:1. qrd?
2. Should I load my shotgun??

1. It turns out the Obamaphones were all coordinated with some communist group out of Chicago and they have been organizing a race war.
2. Yes.