Pedestrian Bridge Collapse, FIU, S Florida

K@th

Pedestrian Bridge Collapse, FIU, S Florida

Post by K@th » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Ugh... are we getting more incompetent as a species? WTF, cant we find qualified engineers? This seems 100% preventable. This bridge was just installed a few days ago.

I have a friend that works there. She's okay. This happened just an hour before the County Youth Fair (very popular,) was to start. This is on the main road to the fair.

Miami pedestrian bridge collapses, killing several, police say
The bridge was scheduled to open early next year and was designed to withstand hurricane-force winds. The bridge was built across the seven-lane Tamiami Trail, connecting the FIU campus to the town of Sweetwater, where the university estimates some 4,000 students live.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Re: Pedestrian Bridge Collapse, FIU, S Florida

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Expect more of this as the dark age advances.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:34 pm

Muh bridges

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Tragic.

Waiting to see the cause.
It’s easy to wrap this event into a familiar narrative, but we have far more standing elevated walkways than flattened ones.

What happened here?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Calculus Man

Post by Calculus Man » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Kath wrote:WTF, cant we find qualified engineers.
Yeah, but we hire people for political reasons instead of competence.

My company routinely hires people who are not the most qualified candidates, but who have the right skin color or genitalia. It's literally HR policy. You see, since we have government contracts, the feds can fine us for mere statistical imbalances. No proof of actual racial discrimination is required.

Obviously we don't know what caused this specific accident, but I guarantee you this sort of stuff will become more common if we keep letting affirmative action take precedence.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Calculus Man wrote:

My company routinely hires people who are not the most qualified candidates, but who have the right skin color or genitalia. It's literally HR policy. You see, since we have government contracts, the feds can fine us for mere statistical imbalances. No proof of actual racial discrimination is required.

Obviously we don't know what caused this specific accident, but I guarantee you this sort of stuff will become more common if we keep letting affirmative action take precedence.
Welcome to the dark age.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Government contract,
The $11.4 million bridge was meant to connect the school to the city of Sweetwater. It is part of a $124 million expansion of the campus.

It was built and designed by Munilla Construction Management in partnership with FIGG Bridge Engineers, the college said.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Calculus Man

Post by Calculus Man » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Calculus Man wrote:

Welcome to the dark age.
Dark days? Maybe. Dark age? Not on my watch.

Defeatism is worse than Marxism, tbqfh.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Calculus Man wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Calculus Man wrote:

Welcome to the dark age.
Dark days? Maybe. Dark age? Not on my watch.

Defeatism is worse than Marxism, tbqfh.

I learned to embrace it.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Calculus Man wrote:

I went through two different contacting companies in my time at the FAA - One was “woman owned” (so it got bonus points during contract considerations), and the other - registered as a preferred minority contract company for being Native American owned.

All the contracting techs they at my location were white.

So ... no one ever explained to me how awarding contracts to minority owned or woman owned businesses actually helped diversity, but whatever.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"