Urban vs. Rural; What's to be done?

Okeefenokee

Re: Urban vs. Rural; What's to be done?

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 pm

It would be like saying Atlanta is a safe city if you don't count the metro area.

That USDA chart uses the word metro.

One of the metrics of urban/rural that I've seen uses commute distances, so farmers who have no commute are considered urban.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:52 am

When you disrupt a couple million years of evolution with feelings, shit happens. :think:
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:57 am

Cities are evolutionary behavior too.

For most of the paleolithic, humans were probably only kin-bonded (sort of like wolves). We evolved the ability to trust strangers which allowed for more complex cultures to form.

Everything about human behavior has an evolutionary component, and evolution happens at a sufficiently rapid pace to even be a historical phenomenon.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 am

I was thinking about this. Are the spun off cities new states or independent countries? We have not let the one city-state in the nation have statehood for partisan political reasons, why would you create dozens of new blue states? So if the answer is expelling them from the Union and creating new countries, then they owe no monetary fealty to the rump USA.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:11 am

brewster wrote:I was thinking about this. Are the spun off cities new states or independent countries? We have not let the one city-state in the nation have statehood for partisan political reasons, why would you create dozens of new blue states? So if the answer is expelling them from the Union and creating new countries, then they owe no monetary fealty to the rump USA.

Ideally, we'd break up into sovereign regions joined together in a confederal government. Somewhat closer to the Ancient Greek model than the Roman model.

I think cities should govern themselves. We are all still Americans, but we need to go back to being Carolinians first, for example.

if you mess with any of us, you mess with all of us, and we'd still have a combined army. Instead of imagining the evil CSA, imagine something more like the colonies in BSG if it makes you feel easier. The word confederal gets a bad reputation because of the slavers in the 19th century.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:15 am

As far as our military might dwindling, I think that would not happen. As it so happens, all the Anglo nations are effectively a combined force for self-defense right now. We might not belong to the UK, but if somebody attacks the UK you better believe they will be hearing from us. The same is true of Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. Yet all our nations have drifted far enough apart that we differ significantly in values and politics. You don't need a Beast controlling everything to provide a strong defense for all.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:19 am

It's easy to see how our defensive capabilities could be enhanced, or at least adequately maintained.

Empire-maintenance capabilities, however . . .

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:16 am

This kinda fits here.

California finishes LAST in quality of life.
http://www.businessinsider.com/californ ... ife-2018-3

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:37 am

PartyOf5 wrote:This kinda fits here.

California finishes LAST in quality of life.
http://www.businessinsider.com/californ ... ife-2018-3
Not sure I can agree with their metrics. Hawaii comes in 36? Ever hear someone say how much it sucks to live in Hawaii? Mississippi comes in at 6?

Color me skeptical.
Account abandoned.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:01 pm

I believe it.

California is mostly rural spaces and ag land, and those filthy, toothless hayseeds hate their lives, and rightly so.

Eat shit bumpkins, cities rule!
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen