Urban vs. Rural; What's to be done?

Speaker to Animals

Re: Urban vs. Rural; What's to be done?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:14 pm

No, we are talking about the yuppies, hipsters, and SJWs too..

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:15 pm

brewster wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:53 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:00 am
Anti-City Rhetoric is Racist ? :think:
Really.

I find attacks like that very troubling. It's part of the reason I go after cities on the board. I'm probably the biggest instigator of that here. As I've said before, urbanites for decades, probably centuries have impuned rural people. A great contemporary attack is to call rural people racist. But I submit to you there is far less racism in rural areas than urban. Boston is the most racist place in America, yet they consider themselves progressive and enlightened. The lie that rural areas are racist is just as big a myth as Democrat support of blacks. Democrats are the party of racism.
Read better. I did not say being anti-city is racist, I said much of the anti-city rhetoric was. Ex: the "city as shithole" theme is often racist, it's pretty clear that's not talking about the yuppies and their lattes, urban poor are typically minority. Nor have I said rural people are racist as a rule. As has been said, you can find racists everywhere.

The notion that rural areas would be just fine without cities is only true if you're OK with dark ages technology. Say goodbye to the gadgets you're communicating with right now. Technology and cities go hand in hand. It takes concentrated resources, both human and material, to develop and produce everything in modern society. From Nineveh to NYC, there's a reason we have them.
I'm personally fond of major medical centers. That said, the whole 'impugning rural people' thing is kinda funny when you think about it. Half of NYC is from elsewhere in the country. You have to listen hard to hear a N.Y. accent on the streets of Manhattan and Brooklyn anymore. Boston has become a magnet for young people and LA always has been. Atlanta had a huge growth spurt. If they're talking trash about rural areas, they're addressing their relatives. But most people in the cities are there for the opportunities and that is the real divider: those who stayed and those who left. Attacking drive and ambition as elitist is attacking the American way. When did we become a nation that hates people who work hard and do well?
:royalty-queen:

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:15 pm
brewster wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:00 am
Anti-City Rhetoric is Racist ? :think:
Really.

I find attacks like that very troubling. It's part of the reason I go after cities on the board. I'm probably the biggest instigator of that here. As I've said before, urbanites for decades, probably centuries have impuned rural people. A great contemporary attack is to call rural people racist. But I submit to you there is far less racism in rural areas than urban. Boston is the most racist place in America, yet they consider themselves progressive and enlightened. The lie that rural areas are racist is just as big a myth as Democrat support of blacks. Democrats are the party of racism.
Read better. I did not say being anti-city is racist, I said much of the anti-city rhetoric was. Ex: the "city as shithole" theme is often racist, it's pretty clear that's not talking about the yuppies and their lattes, urban poor are typically minority. Nor have I said rural people are racist as a rule. As has been said, you can find racists everywhere.

The notion that rural areas would be just fine without cities is only true if you're OK with dark ages technology. Say goodbye to the gadgets you're communicating with right now. Technology and cities go hand in hand. It takes concentrated resources, both human and material, to develop and produce everything in modern society. From Nineveh to NYC, there's a reason we have them.
I'm personally fond of major medical centers. That said, the whole 'impugning rural people' thing is kinda funny when you think about it. Half of NYC is from elsewhere in the country. You have to listen hard to hear a N.Y. accent on the streets of Manhattan and Brooklyn anymore. Boston has become a magnet for young people and LA always has been. Atlanta had a huge growth spurt. If they're talking trash about rural areas, they're addressing their relatives. But most people in the cities are there for the opportunities and that is the real divider: those who stayed and those who left. Attacking drive and ambition as elitist is attacking the American way. When did we become a nation that hates people who work hard and do well?
This.
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:53 pm

jediuser598 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 pm
MilSpecs wrote:
brewster wrote:

This.
We have always attacked people who work hard and do well if their political beliefs do not line up with those of the urban elites. They badmouth those who grow their food, raise their meat, power their grid, cut their timber, and defend their borders, all the while taking all the benefits of these people. They hate the rural people for not caring enough about the plight of illegals, even though these same blue collar people will be the ones affected far more than some CNN pundit in a elevator keycode needed apartment or gated community. They criticize fossil fuel (and those who pump and distribute it), while keeping their AC on nonstop, having multiple children who end up living far apart driving and using electricity just like these rural bumpkins they hate. they complain that much of agriculture is not sustainable, while eating fancy shit flown in fossil fuel jets or ships from around the world that was farmed unsustainably elsewhere and taking advantage of all the produce and meat that American farmers grow. They complain about the backwards religion of the rednecks, while not acknowledging that their own belief system is a bastardized version of Christianity (Liberalism and Progressivism). They denounce the "greed" and "materialism" of Republicans in non city areas, while promoting values they clearly do not follow, such as family community etc, and attempt to de-link the very social chains that allowed this country to even be a place where excessive resources could be wasted on spoiled Brooklyn hipsters who have the spare time to complain about whatever issue they see on their facebook feed. I have a strong suspicion that conservatives are wrong about many things, but if you strip society down to its basic components, the people who keep the gears turning in every aspect of our lives are the same people maligned by the media, and the values and concepts of conservatives are generally the minimal onese needed for even a rudimentary society.

There is a reason that every Communist dictator had to steal grain from the countryside to feed the cities, and not vice versa. They hated the rural peasants, but those folks are the reason that the Rachel Maddows and Milspecs/Jedis of the USSR and PRC had food in their bellies to spout their pravda pieces.
Shikata ga nai

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:12 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:53 pm
jediuser598 wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:

This.
We have always attacked people who work hard and do well if their political beliefs do not line up with those of the urban elites. They badmouth those who grow their food, raise their meat, power their grid, cut their timber, and defend their borders, all the while taking all the benefits of these people. They hate the rural people for not caring enough about the plight of illegals, even though these same blue collar people will be the ones affected far more than some CNN pundit in a elevator keycode needed apartment or gated community. They criticize fossil fuel (and those who pump and distribute it), while keeping their AC on nonstop, having multiple children who end up living far apart driving and using electricity just like these rural bumpkins they hate. they complain that much of agriculture is not sustainable, while eating fancy shit flown in fossil fuel jets or ships from around the world that was farmed unsustainably elsewhere and taking advantage of all the produce and meat that American farmers grow. They complain about the backwards religion of the rednecks, while not acknowledging that their own belief system is a bastardized version of Christianity (Liberalism and Progressivism). They denounce the "greed" and "materialism" of Republicans in non city areas, while promoting values they clearly do not follow, such as family community etc, and attempt to de-link the very social chains that allowed this country to even be a place where excessive resources could be wasted on spoiled Brooklyn hipsters who have the spare time to complain about whatever issue they see on their facebook feed. I have a strong suspicion that conservatives are wrong about many things, but if you strip society down to its basic components, the people who keep the gears turning in every aspect of our lives are the same people maligned by the media, and the values and concepts of conservatives are generally the minimal onese needed for even a rudimentary society.

There is a reason that every Communist dictator had to steal grain from the countryside to feed the cities, and not vice versa. They hated the rural peasants, but those folks are the reason that the Rachel Maddows and Milspecs/Jedis of the USSR and PRC had food in their bellies to spout their pravda pieces.
And the urban folks are the reason half the rural folks aren't dead of smallpox. There is no success for one group without the other.
:royalty-queen:

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:15 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
the whole 'impugning rural people' thing is kinda funny when you think about it. Half of NYC is from elsewhere in the country.
So if they have things to say, they know from where they speak. I don't think anyone has anything bad to say about rural people just because they're rural. It's only when they have reactionary, uneducated, undemocratic and prejudiced views. There are plenty of rural people that do not, but they do not attract attention to themselves. There's nothing wrong with being uneducated (wherever you live), but ignorance allows them to be cynically manipulated. If someone can't tell you whether the sun goes around the earth or vice versa, and in how long, how can you expect them to have informed and reasoned views on the incredibly complex financial, social and political issues our country faces?

The notion that "cities steal grain from the countryside" is simply idiotic. Civilization is built on trade and specialization. Modern farmers couldn't make a 19th century state of the art plow, never mind a combine. Confiscation of food, whether in 1930's Ukraine or 1840's Ireland is a failure not a feature. All I hear is criticism of modern civilization without actual suggestion of an alternative other than subsistence farming for all. As Jedi said, medicine is nice. How many farming families bibles had a page saying "Ma up and died".
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:46 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:12 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:53 pm
jediuser598 wrote:

This.

And the urban folks are the reason half the rural folks aren't dead of smallpox. There is no success for one group without the other.
The reason you are not dying from smallpox, dear, is a man by the name of Edward Jenner, who was born and lived in a small rural English town named Berkeley in Gloucestershire England in the 18th century. Berkeley has grown a bit since those days. Population today reached a whopping 2,000 people.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:46 pm
The reason you are not dying from smallpox, dear, is a man by the name of Edward Jenner, who was born and lived in a small rural English town named Berkeley in Gloucestershire England in the 18th century. Berkeley has grown a bit since those days. Population today reached a whopping 2,000 people.
But it took considerably more industrial science to get it to the point where vaccination wasn't Russian Roulette. Lots of early vaccination recipients died of pox. Most modern medical science is not a guy tinkering in the cowshed. Shall we take a poll of how many of us would not be alive if not for 20th century medicine?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:01 pm

brewster wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:54 pm
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:46 pm
But it took considerably more industrial science to get it to the point where vaccination wasn't Russian Roulette. Lots of early vaccination recipients died of pox. Most modern medical science is not a guy tinkering in the cowshed. Shall we take a poll of how many of us would not be alive if not for 20th century medicine?
The vaccine, even in tbe 1960s and 1970s when we immunized everybody to kill that disease forever, was literally manufactured using calves.

This was possibly the worst example she could possibly have thought of.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:01 pm
This was possibly the worst example she could possibly have thought of.
Maybe so, but that begs the question, which is what rural person wants to give up all the benefits of modern technology, whether it's medicine or telecom. You?