Urban vs. Rural; What's to be done?

Fife

Urban vs. Rural; What's to be done?

Post by Fife » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:27 am

Here's a short essay from my estimable Con Law prof.

I think his ultimate solution is a bit optimistic, to be charitable. But he frames the issue well, and his heart is in the right place.

Splitsylvania: State Secession and What to Do About It
Abstract

This short piece looks at the growing phenomenon of intra-state secession movements. From California, where plans have been floated to split the state into two, five, or six pieces, to more traditional secessionist movements in Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington, to plans to separate upstate New York and downstate Illinois from the large metropolitan areas that dominate state politics, various states are facing internal separatist movements. The paper looks at the sources of the dissatisfaction driving these movements, and suggests a number of solutions to address that dissatisfaction without amending the Constitution or adding stars to the flag.
https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/289816/

NOW UP ON SSRN: My new paper, Splitsylvania: State Secession and What to Do About It, looks at internal state secession movements (e.g., the move to separate the rural eastern counties of California into “New California”) and offers some suggestions. The introduction, I think, could be the outline of a Kurt Schlichter novel. . .

What do you all think? Is an approach this benign possible? Will the Center hold (ha ha)?

Speaker to Animals

Re: Urban vs. Rural; What's to be done?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:31 am

I will read this later, but right off the bat, I can say my solution is simple: split off the cities into city-states. No need for secession of entire regions. It's the cities that are the problem.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:36 am

Read it; Reynolds is on that track. His stab at a peaceful solution is elegant, but I'm dubious of it working IRL. Tell me what you think.

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:14 am

Imagine how much money people have invested in maintaining the status quo.

Then, imagine how a change like this would impact them.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:46 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I will read this later, but right off the bat, I can say my solution is simple: split off the cities into city-states. No need for secession of entire regions. It's the cities that are the problem.
Yes, they're the problem for people conflicted about where their money comes from.
This map displays every county in the U.S. Each county is sized proportional to its share of the total U.S. GDP.

http://metrocosm.com/map-us-economy/
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:01 pm

You should do one of those for crime, specifically gun violence.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Here you go Hash, found one. But I don't see the relevance, if you don't live in a city, city crime aint yer problem. I think most cities would LOVE to be cut free financially from supporting the rest of their state, I know NYC would.

Here's one specifically for gun murder, but it won't inline from Imgur for some reason.
https://projects.oregonlive.com/ucc-shooting/gun-deaths
Last edited by brewster on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:04 pm

It's still a possible solution to the Virtual Civil War. Many people in rural areas would gladly give up money for local control. At least it should be made one of the options.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:07 pm

If localities could split from cities, how long before you see any measurable benefit for either rural or urban areas?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:08 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:If localities could split from cities, how long before you see any measurable benefit for either rural or urban areas?
How much is aggravation worth? There would immediately be a great sense of satisfaction on both sides.