Dan Carlin

C-Mag

Re: Dan Carlin

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
DBTrek wrote:Politically he’s going to be what most of us are - a big, fat, zero. He just put in a hell of a lot of work to be a zero.
:lol:
You don't know how hard we work.
:snooty:
:clap:

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:20 pm

DBTrek wrote:First and foremost he’s a man with a family who has to pay down a mortgage like everybody else. As he grew in popularity and fame he had to make that choice between rocking the boat or maximizing his audience.

We can all see his decision.

Unfortunately, it was a bad call because once you’re serving the same, bland, mass appeal fare that all the other major chains serve, the masses have no reason to pick your offerings over any others.

But I bet he can pay his house off, so it’s not a total loss. He still has HH which was always a stronger program, and will leave a worthy legacy. He’s just never going to be a political game changer, the voice of a generation, or the spark that ignited a movement. Politically he’s going to be what most of us are - a big, fat, zero. He just put in a hell of a lot of work to be a zero.
:lol:

Pretty much the way I see it too. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

HH is the cash cow. If Dan was 100% politically honest he would lose HH audience, so can't do that.
PLATA O PLOMO

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:24 pm

StCapps wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:It would help if he stops watching cable "news" to get his information about the world.
Like most Trump haters, he sucks at picking his battles with Trump and he repeats the same tired bullshit that they all do. No outside the box thinking when it comes to Trump at all, just MSM talking points.
It really is interesting how actual disruption makes so many "revolutionaries" retreat back from the bailey to the motte so quickly.

Some people talk mad game about blowing stuff up, but actual chaos is wayyyy too scary. Then it's all like "hey let's not really blow shit up; let's just show the boss we are serious and stuff."

Oh yeah, I want some badass disruption, but not from *that* guy. Let's not get too hasty on switching stuff up, now, bro. Show me a righteous dude to do the disruption, and I'm all in, foshizzle.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:31 pm

C-Mag wrote:HH is the cash cow. If Dan was 100% politically honest he would lose HH audience, so can't do that.
Serious observation: That's an interesting turn of phrase, Carlus.

Let's think about that term; is there a difference between "political honesty" and "intellectual honesty?"

Is the concept of political honesty so oxymoronic as to be just a laughingstock?

Does it boil down to just being consistent? Because that's a rare bird on it's own, indeed.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Fife wrote:
C-Mag wrote:HH is the cash cow. If Dan was 100% politically honest he would lose HH audience, so can't do that.

Let's think about that term; is there a difference between "political honesty" and "intellectual honesty?"

Is the concept of political honesty so oxymoronic as to be just a laughingstock?

Does it boil down to just being consistent? Because that's a rare bird on it's own, indeed.
Intellectual Honesty is more accurate.
Think back about how nervous he was about putting out Hardcore History programs critical of Christianity. Dan's background is Hollywood to a strong degree, where images are engineered to result in larger audiences.
PLATA O PLOMO

katarn

Post by katarn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:04 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fife wrote:

Intellectual Honesty is more accurate.
Think back about how nervous he was about putting out Hardcore History programs critical of Christianity. Dan's background is Hollywood to a strong degree, where images are engineered to result in larger audiences.
Or how nervous he was to actually put out the word about CS on HH at first. I don't recall what episode it was, but in one of the early shows (probably sub 25) his post show note was basically saying that CS existed, but don't listen to it if different views might turn you off of HH.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

katarn

Post by katarn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Fife wrote:

Consistency is rare, but that isn't always a bad thing, depending on what you take as the root of your beliefs. Most of the time, it seems to me at least that people are internally consistent even if it isn't to any recognizable or overarching ideology you could use as a metric to vote for them. Even if that is just how it seems to me, I think issues should typically be approached individually anyway, so non-consistency is fine for most people.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
California wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I think that's when he sold out. Whoever it was got him the agent and connections to get on other shows.
The CENTCOM meeting?

I think you're right

Soros actually spends a lot of money funding podcasts to push his agenda. Even stuff you might not think of as far-left degeneracy gets funded because the purpose is to get momentum started on converting people.

For instance, if there existed such a thing as an Alt-Soros who funded Alt-Right movements and causes, that guy might fund people like Stefan Molyspew just because he can appeal to people right at the cusp of turning right, and then they later get pulled deeper into the alt-right politics. Dan is like that now for the progressive cause. Of course the forum had to go. Half of us got red pilled and were converting more people on the forum than not. It's kind of funny when you think about it.
I totally got Red Pilled from you guys. There were always some latent thoughts I had that I would suppress so it wasn't that difficult for me to see the light. Combine that with the fact I was already disgusted by anti gun people and social justice and the pill was waiting to happen
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:04 pm

The Dan Carlin Facebook group is a great example of how Leftist his fans are now.

While commenting on an article that suggested that anyone who is against reparations is racist, an article I was surprised to see was roundly rejected by the denizens there, it still only took 2 exchanges for me to get called racist while arguing against them
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

ssu

Post by ssu » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:42 pm

California wrote:The Dan Carlin Facebook group is a great example of how Leftist his fans are now.

While commenting on an article that suggested that anyone who is against reparations is racist, an article I was surprised to see was roundly rejected by the denizens there, it still only took 2 exchanges for me to get called racist while arguing against them
Lol!

Haven't yet listened to the latest, but just checking the comments here I guess Dan is still the Dan I knew. :lol:

But seriously, people who follow Dan change and have changed and will change. I guess "the lefties" were there when Dubya was there, then they went away with Obama, then you guys came to be the most vocal, now the "leftist" Dan listeners are there.

Dan's basically the same, the listening audience might change. I've allways considered Dan a moderate. After all, the term "Common Sense" usually doesn't depict anyone with extremist views.