So I Asked the Internet How Many Nazis There Are

kybkh

So I Asked the Internet How Many Nazis There Are

Post by kybkh » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:40 pm

I doubt anyone will be surprised that the first article that popped up was from the reliable news source the Daily Beast. This and a couple of articles about how many actual Nazis we allowed to migrate here following WW2.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/how-many-n ... ica-really

How many people who freely self-identify as white supremacists or Nazis are there in the U.S.?
How about people who don’t call themselves white supremacists, but instead call themselves another name that sounds an awful lot like a synonym for “Nazi”? How about people who would never think of themselves as Nazi or Nazi-adjacent, but who just so happen to agree with those groups on most issues? How about, to paraphrase President Trump, people who love statues of defeated Confederate generals so much that they’re willing to risk their reputations by marching and chanting alongside Nazis?

Until this weekend, I was confident that those numbers were small.

In order to be a Nazi or Nazi-sympathetic in America, a person would have to look in the mirror at their fleshy neck, receding hairline, sagging eye skin, bad knees and substandard academic abilities and decide, against all visual evidence, that they are the master race.

This is from the same article.

But this country is not going to hell because a handful of lonely men who call themselves boys went to a town and yelled about Jews. Only hundreds showed up to the biggest “alt-right” meeting in the country. A single New York City subway car can hold around 200 people.

This was the best I could come up with in the first 3 pages I was gonna waste my time with. So this journalist asked a statistical question and he/she cant even answer the question, more or less labels all FWMs Nazis, then finally admitted in the largest gathering of Nazis in over two decades there were only 200 people.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

DBTrek

Re: So I Asked the Internet How Many Nazis There Are

Post by DBTrek » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:48 pm

"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:53 pm

There were actually thousands of pro white demonstrators at UNR. Daily Beast is not a good source. Antifa was actually outnumbered.

I've seen articles that actually tried to answer the question of how many americans are "neo-nazi" sympathetic. The number is as high as 9% according to them. If I see it again I'll post it here.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 pm

http://elitedaily.com/news/9-percent-am ... l/2050554/

Almost 1 In 10 Americans Think It's OK To Be A Neo-Nazi, Says Terrifying New Poll
Lilli Petersen Lilli Petersen
in News
Aug 21, 2017 11:26pm
Like Us On Facebook

It's been a troubling few weeks for advocates of racial justice. On Aug. 12, the country was rocked after white supremacist rallies in Charlottesville, Virginia turned violent, leaving a 32-year-old woman dead. In the aftermath of the event, many were even more disturbed when President Donald Trump refused to denounce white supremacy. But many, apparently, were not: after a new poll showed that nine percent of Americans think it's OK to hold white supremacist views, it begs the question, how many neo-Nazis are in America?

An ABC News/Washington Post poll released on Aug. 21 revealed that nearly one in ten Americans, a number equivalent to 22 million people, think it's “acceptable” to hold neo-Nazi views. (In contrast, 83 percent say it's unacceptable, and eight percent somehow had no opinion on neo-Nazism.) A similar number, 10 percent, said that they support the alt-right movement, while 50 percent oppose it.

And whether the two are related? About 40 percent of Americans think members of the alt-right hold white supremacist views, almost twice as many as those who think they doesn't.
The split across party lines is significant, too.

A full 57 percent of Democrats think the alt-right is espousing neo-Nazism, while less than 20 percent of Republicans do.

Another key finding? Charlottesville has not done wonders for Trump's popularity.

Only 28 percent of those polled approved of Trump's response to the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia on Aug. 12. One woman was killed while protesting a white supremacist rally in the town, when a man who had been photographed at the rally earlier that day drove a car into a crowd of counter-protesters. More than a dozen others were injured.

Trump drew heavy criticism for refusing to immediately denounce white supremacy or acknowledge its role in the day's violence, and later for saying that the so-called “alt-left” was also to blame.

The poll found that more than half of Americans, at 56 percent, disapproved of Trump's handling of the situation. And regarding his comments on those involved, 42 percent thought that Trump had been putting neo-Nazis and white supremacists on equal standing with the people who stood against them.
It's slightly reassuring that, at the very least, the majority of people seem to agree that white supremacy is not OK.

The agreement that neo-Nazism should always be denounced was a bright spot, too.

But on the other hand, the fact that any significant number of Americans think it's OK is more than a little troubling.

We've got our work cut out for us, America.

Subscribe to Elite Daily's official newsletter, The Edge, for more stories you don't want to miss.
Lilli Petersen
Lilli Petersen

Editor
Lilli Petersen is the Night News Editor at Elite Daily. She previously covered News & Politics for Refinery29, and has also been published at The Mary Sue. She writes people and argues with things.
ELITE DAILY VIDEO
Why Guys Need To Go On More Man Dates
Barber Giving Awesome Vintage Haircuts Will Inspire You To Follow Your Dreams

Barber Giving Awesome Vintage Haircuts Will Inspire You To Follow Your Dreams
From our PartnersPowered By ZergNet
Unattractive Things That Turn Men Off the Most
10 Features That Attract Men The Most
Why It Sucks to Win the Lottery
4 Foods You Shouldn't Be Eating After Your 30s For Wrinkles
This Sam & Gilly 'Game Of Thrones' Theory Is Really Bittersweet
The Natural Way To Get Longer Lashes
Comments

katarn

Post by katarn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:05 pm

I guess we don't discourage copying whole articles anymore?

Anyway, those 9% or whatever number it is (that does not read like a great statistical source- more of an op ed) are in the right, at least constitutionally. People have the right to hold whatever views they want. (Can I preach to the choir any more blatantly?)
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:21 pm

katarn wrote:I guess we don't discourage copying whole articles anymore?
Who are you telling on "to," exactly? Is this a "Martin" Issue, or are you directly trolling for a client, IRL, as the injured party? If it's the latter, you prolly will want to send a DM of some sort.

If the former, I really don't think he GAF. Could be wrong . . . LMAO

I'm tellin!

:goteam: :drunk:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:23 pm

The FU money could be a problem.

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:35 am

katarn wrote:I guess we don't discourage copying whole articles anymore?

Anyway, those 9% or whatever number it is (that does not read like a great statistical source- more of an op ed) are in the right, at least constitutionally. People have the right to hold whatever views they want. (Can I preach to the choir any more blatantly?)
Most people know jack about history. I wonder how they would respond to some more questions.

ssu

Post by ssu » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:11 am

At least the Germans seem to know who is a Nazi, or the White Supremacist. :D

ssu

Post by ssu » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 am

DBTrek wrote:Image
Yep, something of true significance would be in a city close to you everywhere in the US... in a country of 360 million.