Is anyone sick of all the winning?

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Is anyone sick of all the winning?

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:34 am

The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Actually, I was thinking about creating an induction coil for that. Otherwise, I was going to use propane.
Seriously tho, I wouldn't want that kind of heat in my basement. Sounds like a serious hazard. Also, probably breaks your insurance policy.
The entire place is brick and stone, also why I said ventilation... does anyone read anymore?
That doesn't matter. You don't live in a stone castle. That kind of heat will ignite something eventually, and I can guarantee you is illegal in a basement. Even medieval smithys were always outside, and for good reason.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Seriously tho, I wouldn't want that kind of heat in my basement. Sounds like a serious hazard. Also, probably breaks your insurance policy.
The entire place is brick and stone, also why I said ventilation... does anyone read anymore?
That doesn't matter. You don't live in a stone castle. That kind of heat will ignite something eventually, and I can guarantee you is illegal in a basement.
Oy... seriously, hence the plumbing re-work, the electrical re-work... etc... and no it's not illegal as long as you have proper ventilation. I swear reading and comprehension is a lost art.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 am

I can guarantee you it's illegal as fuck.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 am

Hey guys, check out my carpentry slash blacksmith forge in the basement! Don't mind all the sawdust..

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 am

The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
That doesn't matter. You don't live in a stone castle. That kind of heat will ignite something eventually, and I can guarantee you is illegal in a basement.
Oy... seriously, hence the plumbing re-work, the electrical re-work... etc... and no it's not illegal as long as you have proper ventilation. I swear reading and comprehension is a lost art.
Unless you're cold-forging, this is not going to end well.
Depending on the forming temperature steel forging can be divided into:[25]

Hot forging of steel
Forging temperatures above the recrystallization temperature between 950 - 1250 °C
Good formability
Low forming forces
Constant tensile strength of the workpieces
Warm forging of steel
Forging temperatures between 750 – 950 °C
Less or no scaling at the workpiece surface
Narrower tolerances achievable than in hot forging
Limited formability and higher forming forces than for hot forging
Lower forming forces than in cold forming
Cold forging of steel
Forging temperatures at room conditions, self-heating up to 150 °C due to the forming energy
Narrowest tolerances achievable
No scaling at workpiece surface
Increase of strength and decrease of ductility due to strain hardening
Low formability and high forming forces are necessary
You cannot have 1200 degree temps under your house, in an enclosed area - you'll look like this:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:45 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Hey guys, check out my carpentry slash blacksmith forge in the basement! Don't mind all the sawdust..
LMFAO

I've also got some Oxygen canisters right over here, just in case.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:46 am

Ok, there is a world of special here... Do you even know what a forge today looks like?
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:47 am

The Conservative wrote:Ok, there is a world of special here... Do you even know what a forge today looks like?

Do you know what temperature it burns at?

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:51 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The Conservative wrote:Ok, there is a world of special here... Do you even know what a forge today looks like?

You can control the burn and temperature depending on what you use. Also, thermal bricking keeps the heat inside the forge instead of letting it leak out. Between 800 to 1500 degrees is easy to come by in a forge like that, most when they are used though aren't there to melt metal, but to soften it to be hammered, or to be hardened after it had been shaped into what you want to make.

https://www.ebay.com/i/251333124599?chn=ps&dispItem=1.

This is what a common forge looks like today. Not your large ass ones you are thinking of. I'm not making a smelter.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 am

The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

You can control the burn and temperature depending on what you use. Also, thermal bricking keeps the heat inside the forge instead of letting it leak out. Between 800 to 1500 degrees is easy to come by in a forge like that, most when they are used though aren't there to melt metal, but to soften it to be hammered, or to be hardened after it had been shaped into what you want to make.

https://www.ebay.com/i/251333124599?chn=ps&dispItem=1.

This is what a common forge looks like today. Not your large ass ones you are thinking of. I'm not making a smelter.
That's cool. Do you plan on ever opening the door? Perhaps removing a large glob of extremely hot semi-liquid metal from it? Banging it, and throwing sparks around your basement?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace