Everything Is Bigger In Texas except the government

Speaker to Animals

Re: Everything Is Bigger In Texas except the government

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:40 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:And.. when the evil state doesn't exist, and your house is on fire, then you just lost your home.

My point is this: If you actually believe in this stuff, then why even enjoy the benefits of civilization? Why not move out into the wilderness and live your life as a truly independent man in the mountains or something? There are people who do that. They don't spend all their time on the Internet talking about it; they actually live it. Libertarians are the kinds of people who like to talk about what it would be like to live in a certain way without ever actually wanting to live that way, even though such a choice is readily available to them.

The part that I find so amusing is how their "solution" to live a comfortable civilized life without a state is to create another state through contracts and call it by a different name.

I just remembered what they remind me of. Did you know that when Thoreau wrote On Walden Pond, he would periodically go back to his mother's house to eat the snacks she made for him? It's exactly like that. You write all this stuff about living the independent life, but you depend upon your mothers to bake you cookies.
Thoreau lived in his friends backyard, about 2 miles from mommy. He was no rugged frontiersman.

That was the point, genius.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:50 am

clubgop wrote:
HOA's do that. And you dont need some huge stupid municipal structure to enforce it.
Most of the municipal structure, I am actually using, roads, bridges, water, sewer, hydro, sanitation, snowplows, parks, police, fire, bylaw enforcement, etc, I only oppose municipal government when it veers away from its core mission, where it mission creeps into things like "global climate change" or "social welfare initiative", that's where I get oppositional, but so long as they are sticking to the things I actually pay them to do, that's fine, carry on.

On the core mission tasks, they don't do a bad job at all. There's two things we have to fight here, one is the aforementioned lefty sacred cow pet projects, and the other is management bloat, but other than that, I'm not looking for a reduction in services which are core to munipical governance.

I'm not opposed to paying the property tax, so long as they are staying on mission, I just go through the budget, line item by line item, and then I vote for the councillors who will cut the non core task bloat therein.

Like I said, I find the federal government to be mostly useless, that's where the vast majority of the waste resides, but at the municpal level, I'm using most of it on a daily basis, and on the core mission tasks, I don't actually have a lot of complaints.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:18 am

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:42 am

I suppose it boils down to getting what you pay for.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:09 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:And.. when the evil state doesn't exist, and your house is on fire, then you just lost your home.

My point is this: If you actually believe in this stuff, then why even enjoy the benefits of civilization? Why not move out into the wilderness and live your life as a truly independent man in the mountains or something? There are people who do that. They don't spend all their time on the Internet talking about it; they actually live it. Libertarians are the kinds of people who like to talk about what it would be like to live in a certain way without ever actually wanting to live that way, even though such a choice is readily available to them.

The part that I find so amusing is how their "solution" to live a comfortable civilized life without a state is to create another state through contracts and call it by a different name.

I just remembered what they remind me of. Did you know that when Thoreau wrote On Walden Pond, he would periodically go back to his mother's house to eat the snacks she made for him? It's exactly like that. You write all this stuff about living the independent life, but you depend upon your mothers to bake you cookies.
Thoreau lived in his friends backyard, about 2 miles from mommy. He was no rugged frontiersman.

That was the point, genius.
Not arguing with you. Just adding to the point. You should read more.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
clubgop wrote:
HOA's do that. And you dont need some huge stupid municipal structure to enforce it.
Most of the municipal structure, I am actually using, roads, bridges, water, sewer, hydro, sanitation, snowplows, parks, police, fire, bylaw enforcement, etc, I only oppose municipal government when it veers away from its core mission, where it mission creeps into things like "global climate change" or "social welfare initiative", that's where I get oppositional, but so long as they are sticking to the things I actually pay them to do, that's fine, carry on.

On the core mission tasks, they don't do a bad job at all. There's two things we have to fight here, one is the aforementioned lefty sacred cow pet projects, and the other is management bloat, but other than that, I'm not looking for a reduction in services which are core to munipical governance.

I'm not opposed to paying the property tax, so long as they are staying on mission, I just go through the budget, line item by line item, and then I vote for the councillors who will cut the non core task bloat therein.

Like I said, I find the federal government to be mostly useless, that's where the vast majority of the waste resides, but at the municpal level, I'm using most of it on a daily basis, and on the core mission tasks, I don't actually have a lot of complaints.
You don't have a federal government, remember?

And your city did not build the national highway system, or the continental transport systems, unless I'm very mistaken. Nor did they fund the sciences which created those things. I also highly doubt that any city has ever funded a power plant without massive subsidies.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:44 pm

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Dude Aleppo is pretty much the end result of trying to rationalize conservatism into conforming with liberalistic values.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:51 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
You don't have a federal government, remember?

And your city did not build the national highway system, or the continental transport systems, unless I'm very mistaken. Nor did they fund the sciences which created those things. I also highly doubt that any city has ever funded a power plant without massive subsidies.
Actually, most of that sort of thing is done at the provincial level in Canada, we're not as centralized as America is, the Provinces are much more independent than most American states are, the federal government here, is actually quite weak, when compared to Washington.

The Confederation has to account for Quebec, and in order to keep Quebec in the fold, far more power has to be decentralized to the provinces, the federal government collects all the taxes, but most of what I pay actually gets collected for the Ontario government, and then gets distributed through the transfer payment system, and about half of that is basically public healthcare, which is OHIP, which is provincial, but like, highways, hydro electric power, infrastructure, hospitals, schools, industry, that sort of thing, that's Ontario, not Ottawa, Ottawa really only plays a peripheral role there, they basically hold some money back to sprinkle around, to justify their existence, but we don't actually need them to do that.

Bear in mind, the Canadian government cannot print US dollars, which is the source of Washington's power, and without being able to print gold, the Canadian federal goverment doesn't have the same kind of leverage, the Provinces may go to the feds cap in hand, but since our fed is not the Fed, it doesn't have the same effect of centralizing power around the federal cash flow.
Nec Aspera Terrent

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Image
Really? And big liberal cities like Detroit, Philly, etc are panaceas?