Everything Is Bigger In Texas except the government

TheReal_ND

Everything Is Bigger In Texas except the government

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:29 am

Image Trick question; the state is violence

Who says Texas is all hat and no cattle? We practice conservative ideals while everyone else just preaches it. This is great. Finally I can get away from the state which is truly holding me down from parking my van wherever I want and growing dope. In Texas, we put the narco in anarcho-capitalism.

https://www.texasobserver.org/the-rise- ... -in-texas/

The abandoned cop cars sat in Trina Reyes’ yard for eight months. She wanted them gone, but there were no police to come get them. Last September, the police department in Von Ormy — a town of 1,300 people just southwest of San Antonio — lost its accreditation after it failed to meet basic standards. Reyes was mayor at the time, so the three patrol cars, as well as the squad’s police radios and its computers, ended up at her home. It was just another low point in a two-year saga that she now counts as one of the most difficult experiences of her life.

“This is one of the worst things I’ve ever done,” she said of being mayor. “I’ve never dealt with such angry people. I’m washing my hands of everything. … I’m going to travel. I’m going as far away from Von Ormy as I can.”

Wait so you mean to tell me that if we eliminate big government Mexicans will self deport? Wtf? I hate walls now.
In 2006, fearing annexation by rapidly encroaching San Antonio, some in Von Ormy proposed incorporating as a town. But in government-averse rural Texas, incorporation can be a hard sell. Unincorporated areas are governed mainly by counties, which have few rules about what you can do on private property and tend to only lightly tax. There’s no going back from what municipal government brings: taxes, ordinances, elections and tedious city council meetings. Still, the fear of being absorbed by San Antonio — with its big-city taxes and regulations — was too much for most Von Ormians.

Enter Art Martinez de Vara. At the time, Martinez de Vara was an ambitious third-year law student at St. Mary’s University in San Antonio, a local boy with a penchant for Texas history and right-wing politics.

Martinez de Vara suggested a compromise of sorts. Von Ormy could become a “liberty city” — a stripped-down, low-tax, low-government version of municipal government that’s currently en vogue among the tea party in Texas.

Initially, the city would impose property and sales taxes, but the property tax would ratchet down to zero over time. The business-friendly environment would draw new economic activity to Von Ormy, and eventually the town would cruise along on sales taxes alone.

There would be no charge for building permits, which Martinez de Vara said would be hand-delivered by city staff. The nanny state would be kept at bay, too. Want to shoot off fireworks? Blast away. Want to smoke in a bar? Light up. Teens wandering around at night? No curfew, no problem.
Today, there is no city animal control program and stray dogs roam the streets. The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office patrols the town instead of city police, and City Hall resides in a mobile home with one full-time staffer — though that’s a step up from the dive bar where City Council met until the owner bounced them out. If you go to the city’s website, you’ll be informed that it’s still under construction.
But two things happened around this time: First, the bottom fell out of the oil economy. With oil prices in free-fall in 2014 and 2015, the drilling rigs in the Eagle Ford Shale started packing up, as did many of the workers, trucks and ancillary oil field services.

Second, some were beginning to sour on the liberty city model. On the five-member City Council, three council members — Jacqueline Goede, Verna Hernandez and Carmina Aguilar — had banded together in a bloc that was increasingly at odds with Martinez de Vara and the two other council members, one of whom was Sally Martinez. The most explosive issue was property taxes. The three women thought it was foolish to eliminate property taxes altogether. Sales taxes rise and fall with the economy, and few cities rely on them alone.
She had all but stopped speaking to the two commissioners — longtime City Council member Sally Martinez and Alex Quintanilla, another stalwart in the city government. Reyes simply stopped showing up for council meetings in early 2017, accusing Martinez and Quintanilla of ganging up on her.
“The evidence room had very little to no control measures,” he told me in an April interview. “It was literally an 18-wheel trailer that was unsecured. There was no cataloging. I found unmarked boxes filled with everything from weapons to narcotics … and anybody could walk in, and they did. A lot of the City Council members would just walk in and want to see a file or just grab things.” (Greg Reyes did not respond to numerous requests for comment.)
Jake Galvan, a retired mechanic, says that the police department was an embarrassment to the town and the source of rumors about misconduct and other illegal behavior.

“They didn’t hire anybody that’s a veteran,” he said. “They just hired a bunch of rookies with no experience.”

In Galvan’s view, the liberty city experiment has gone all wrong.

“This ain’t going well at all,” he said. “We’ve got a bunch of empty buildings, a lot of [federal] grant money spent, and for what? We have a fire station that nobody wants to operate and a police station with no police. Where did all that money go?”
Much more at link. Good read

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Everything Is Bigger In Texas except the government

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:52 am

Cute idea.

Amazing that the "liberty city" is able to make use of those federal highways to attract business to the area. Shame that they weren't able to magically tap into San Antonio's very expensive sewer system. I wonder where that system came from?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:58 am

Probably not a bunch of Mexicans

The whole story is good if you click the link and read it

I made special point to cap as many Mexican names as I could find in the OP

Don't worry though, a mechanic is running for governor and he's white

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:07 am

lol I read the whole thing before I responded. I don't know if you're serious about the racial thing or not, but it sounds like a fail idea.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:11 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:lol I read the whole thing before I responded. I don't know if you're serious about the racial thing or not, but it sounds like a fail idea.
Oh you did? Could have fooled us. An incorporated city or town is a fail idea?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:02 pm

clubgop wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:lol I read the whole thing before I responded. I don't know if you're serious about the racial thing or not, but it sounds like a fail idea.
The idea of a "liberty city" that runs only on sales tax. It's nice in theory, but not realistic.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:52 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
clubgop wrote:
The idea of a "liberty city" that runs only on sales tax. It's nice in theory, but not realistic.
Its plenty realistic. Plenty of localities do it. This just reveals your statist bias. Out of all things wrong there the first thing you reach for is tax policy. You have a voracious unrelenting appetite for other people's money. Your the exact person these people wanted to avoid.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:58 pm

clubgop wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
clubgop wrote:
Its plenty realistic. Plenty of localities do it. This just reveals your statist bias. Out of all things wrong there the first thing you reach for is tax policy. You have a voracious unrelenting appetite for other people's money. Your the exact person these people wanted to avoid.
Well, since the entire issue is about tax policy, yeah, that's where I went. I mean, some of the children among us may want to cling to the personal squabbles and imagine themselves above all that, and superior to the people in it. Your town council would be better, no doubt. Yet the fact remains that you can't even attempt this without a hell of a lot of business going on, and those businesses want cushy amenities like working sewers. Those sewers come from taxes that you don't have, because you don't have business happening yet. Pretty fucking simple.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Doesn't sound very enticing anyways, even if it did work, because who can secure the reasonable enjoyment of their private property, when all the yayhoos are at liberty to just cause a ruckus and light the place up at will? Fuck that.

I don't give a rats ass about global climate change, but light polluters, noise polluters, and those who cause a perpetual nuisance? I'd have those people shot.
Nec Aspera Terrent

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:51 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
clubgop wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Well, since the entire issue is about tax policy, yeah, that's where I went. I mean, some of the children among us may want to cling to the personal squabbles and imagine themselves above all that, and superior to the people in it. Your town council would be better, no doubt. Yet the fact remains that you can't even attempt this without a hell of a lot of business going on, and those businesses want cushy amenities like working sewers. Those sewers come from taxes that you don't have, because you don't have business happening yet. Pretty fucking simple.
No, bitch. You float the bond. You could have all the money in the world but do you have any idea about building a sewer system? No, so if they said it would take 10 million, 25, whatever, you would just raise taxes, hell, it aint your money. Finally you would know what it is like to get fucked by a sewer soaked dick. Turnabout being fair play.