Audio Photoshop

SuburbanFarmer

Audio Photoshop

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:44 am

That's it. We're fucked. All news is about to become fake news.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/breaking-news/
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Re: Audio Photoshop

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:51 am

Public discourse in the future is not going to be based around identity like it is now. It will be pointless. People already have realized the "news" we have right now is mostly faked. There exists no trust in that sort of thing for good reason right here and now.

If people's voices and appearances can be faked to such a degree, then the only thing that will matter are the ideas. Sure, when it comes to figuring out the facts of an event, it will be more difficult to do so because of faked data, but I think people will just pour over all the available data to figure out what really happened whenever possible.

Most of politics today is about the man himself -- his talking points, his public persona, and all the little gotcha games the fake media and politicians play every single day.

In the future, it will be pointless to engage in that stuff. I think this new era of celebrity rulers that Trump ushered in, where a successful politician is basically playing a tabloid game to appeal to entertainment value, has a relatively short shelf-life due to the kinds of technologies that are about to unfold.

Call me idealistic if you want, but I suspect at some point we will be debating over ideas more than individuals maybe fifty years out. Politics will be more like the anonymous message boards than a forum like this one.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:55 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Public discourse in the future is not going to be based around identity like it is now. It will be pointless. People already have realized the "news" we have right now is mostly faked. There exists no trust in that sort of thing for good reason right here and now.

If people's voices and appearances can be faked to such a degree, then the only thing that will matter are the ideas. Sure, when it comes to figuring out the facts of an event, it will be more difficult to do so because of faked data, but I think people will just pour over all the available data to figure out what really happened whenever possible.

Most of politics today is about the man himself -- his talking points, his public persona, and all the little gotcha games the fake media and politicians play every single day.

In the future, it will be pointless to engage in that stuff. I think this new era of celebrity rulers that Trump ushered in, where a successful politician is basically playing a tabloid game to appeal to entertainment value, has a relatively short shelf-life due to the kinds of technologies that are about to unfold.

Call me idealistic if you want, but I suspect at some point we will be debating over ideas more than individuals maybe fifty years out. Politics will be more like the anonymous message boards than a forum like this one.
Right, but follow that through. You cannot have foreign relations, if you can't get a clear message from/to the other side. You can't have a remote business relationship, unless you have some way to sign contracts/make agreements and know that they're genuine. You can't even prosecute/defend a crime unless you know that the evidence is true.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Public discourse in the future is not going to be based around identity like it is now. It will be pointless. People already have realized the "news" we have right now is mostly faked. There exists no trust in that sort of thing for good reason right here and now.

Right, but follow that through. You cannot have foreign relations, if you can't get a clear message from/to the other side. You can't have a remote business relationship, unless you have some way to sign contracts/make agreements and know that they're genuine. You can't even prosecute/defend a crime unless you know that the evidence is true.

Yeah, it will probably be a mess. :lol: But what are you going to do?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Yeah, it will probably be a mess. :lol: But what are you going to do?
That's the question. What the hell can you do? How do you believe anything?

I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that this threatens human society...

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 am

I already accepted that I can't believe much that I hear and see in the media. Did you not just live through a presidential campaign in which the media was caught lying to you about a candidate they didn't want over and over and over?

Were you not there when they lied about "yellow cake" and portable chemical weapons labs in Iraq?

What about the "moderate" Syrian rebels who turned out to be ISIS and Al Qaeda? And then recall how they were armed, via an illegal weapons transfer that was going through a consulate in Benghazi. But when that blew up in their faces (literally), remember how they said it was all over a youtube video?

They lied about DNC servers being hacked by Russians.

They lied about Hillary Clinton's health.

Remember when the media released edited footage of a black guy getting shot in Charlotte, but deleted the part where he reached for a fucking gun to shoot the cops, and therefore created a huge race riot in the city?

They lie all the time. Every day all day.

They don't even get the weather right.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I already accepted that I can't believe much that I hear and see in the media. Did you not just live through a presidential campaign in which the media was caught lying to you about a candidate they didn't want over and over and over?

Were you not there when they lied about "yellow cake" and portable chemical weapons labs in Iraq?

What about the "moderate" Syrian rebels who turned out to be ISIS and Al Qaeda? And then recall how they were armed, via an illegal weapons transfer that was going through a consulate in Benghazi. But when that blew up in their faces (literally), remember how they said it was all over a youtube video?

Yes, but now I can listen to an entire speech that may have been created by anyone. All non-personal interactions are now deniable, all evidence can be dismissed, and we're left with He Said/She Said for all interactions... That is not going to allow a working society. At all.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:25 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I already accepted that I can't believe much that I hear and see in the media. Did you not just live through a presidential campaign in which the media was caught lying to you about a candidate they didn't want over and over and over?

Yes, but now I can listen to an entire speech that may have been created by anyone. All non-personal interactions are now deniable, all evidence can be dismissed, and we're left with He Said/She Said for all interactions... That is not going to allow a working society. At all.

Which means the only thing that matters is the argument. The person speaking it is irrelevant.

I accept your point about the impact on contracts and other social and legal obligations. That's going to be a mess.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:29 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Which means the only thing that matters is the argument. The person speaking it is irrelevant.

I accept your point about the impact on contracts and other social and legal obligations. That's going to be a mess.
We can probably still share Ideas, sure. But we'll be sharing them around a tribal campfire, unless we find some way to counter this.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:33 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote: All non-personal interactions are now deniable, all evidence can be dismissed, and we're left with He Said/She Said for all interactions... That is not going to allow a working society. At all.
It feels like we are already there to a point. This will make it worse, but we're already acclimating to that climate.