Disease Found in 99 Percent of Brains Donated by NFL Families

StCapps

Re: Disease Found in 99 Percent of Brains Donated by NFL Families

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Compare to other ex-athletes: golfers, tennis players, even basketballers. It's very different.
I'm aware that football is one of the worst offenders, if not the worst on the CTE front, I'm just saying don't go assuming that any ex-football player who committed suicide did so because they had brain damage, that's a stretch.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:24 pm

PartyOf5 wrote:I don't think tackle football goes away because of this. It will probably spark more efforts in making the sport safer, like better helmets. It is already sparking players to retire a lot sooner. A certain number of players will make their money and get out, especially if they have a plan outside of football.

One thing they should do is slow these guys down a bit. It wouldn't solve everything, but playing on a slower surface like real grass vs. field turf may help. Maybe modify the field turf to slow them down a little. Doesn't do much for the close quarter collisions though.
The vast majority of NFL stadiums are real grass
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:30 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Compare to other ex-athletes: golfers, tennis players, even basketballers. It's very different.
I'm aware that football is one of the worst offenders, if not the worst on the CTE front, I'm just saying don't go assuming that any ex-football player who committed suicide did so because they had brain damage, that's a stretch.
I meant statistics on violent behavior, suicide, abuse, etc. Not the CTE itself.

Your counter-point would be that hockey players don't have the same level of issues, so we need to examine whether one of the two groups has more brain damage from play.

I'll run the whole debate myself, no worries :lol:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Here's a discussion on the issue. About to start listening, it has Greg Easterbrook so I know his part will be good.
Easterbrook has been on this issue for longer than most of us remember it.
http://the1a.org/shows/2017-07-27/is-it ... we-know-it
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:31 pm

California wrote:
PartyOf5 wrote:I don't think tackle football goes away because of this. It will probably spark more efforts in making the sport safer, like better helmets. It is already sparking players to retire a lot sooner. A certain number of players will make their money and get out, especially if they have a plan outside of football.

One thing they should do is slow these guys down a bit. It wouldn't solve everything, but playing on a slower surface like real grass vs. field turf may help. Maybe modify the field turf to slow them down a little. Doesn't do much for the close quarter collisions though.
I wish this were true. Too many of them are plastic pellets and carpet that look like shit, and get in players' eyes, but are cheaper to maintain.

The only dome with grass is Arizona's. Many of the outdoor stadiums have pellets and carpet too.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:35 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
California wrote:

I wish this were true. Too many of them are plastic pellets and carpet that look like shit, and get in players' eyes, but are cheaper to maintain.

The only dome with grass is Arizona's. Many of the outdoor stadiums have pellets and carpet too.
I said NFL. College is a different story

There are no outdoor NFL stadiums with the RealTruf junk
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:41 pm

California wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
California wrote: The vast majority of NFL stadiums are real grass

I said NFL. College is a different story

There are no outdoor NFL stadiums with the RealTruf junk
Yes there are. In fact, it's currently 18-13 Grass vs. Turf
https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/sports ... -or-grass/

Seahawks, Patriots, Giants, Jets, Bills, Bengals - all outside, all turf.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Well shit.

Although Giants/Jets is the same stadium

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 pm

California wrote:Well shit.

Although Giants/Jets is the same stadium
Could throw in the Texans and Colts, since they have retractable roofs.

Yeah, it's disgusting dude. Football should only be played on grass.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Have you been on one of those fields? They smell like a tire store