Disease Found in 99 Percent of Brains Donated by NFL Families

heydaralon

Re: Disease Found in 99 Percent of Brains Donated by NFL Families

Post by heydaralon » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 am

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:Would you guys be cool with seeing fights to the death? I think if both parties signed a waiver, and agreed to keep fighting until one person died, there would be a bunch of athletes ok with that, as long as the payout was big enough. Would that be morally wrong? Is dying from a fight immediately worse than living for a few decades like a vegetable from brain damage caused by fights from your youth? I'm not sure I have an answer, though I would probably watch a fight to the death with a kind of morbid curiosity.
Fighting to the death is dumb. Fighters never get to learn from their loses, makes for a shittier sport, though I'm not sure the average Roman would agree with me, those fuckers were way to into blood and gore for my tastes.
Thats a good point. You wouldn't get to see the evolution of a fighter. I don't watch boxing or MMA so I don't have a good understanding of the sports, though I understand their appeal. I was just throwing an idea out there.
Shikata ga nai

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am

heydaralon wrote:Would you guys be cool with seeing fights to the death? I think if both parties signed a waiver, and agreed to keep fighting until one person died, there would be a bunch of athletes ok with that, as long as the payout was big enough. Would that be morally wrong? Is dying from a fight immediately worse than living for a few decades like a vegetable from brain damage caused by fights from your youth? I'm not sure I have an answer, though I would probably watch a fight to the death with a kind of morbid curiosity.
No
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 am

heydaralon wrote:Thats a good point. You wouldn't get to see the evolution of a fighter. I don't watch boxing or MMA so I don't have a good understanding of the sports, though I understand their appeal. I was just throwing an idea out there.
I don't want the best fighters in the world dying on an off night, I want them to live to fight another day if they so choose. I really don't get the Romans attitude towards gladiatorial events, they would have been better if the best gladiators got to live to fight another day, from my perspective.

But I guess the average Roman at the coliseum was probably not all that different from "Just Bleed" Guy, so maybe some folks would be into that shit, and probably more people than I think.
Romans who loved gladiatorial events must have been even more insufferable than the average MMA fan, and that's saying something.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:43 am

The Conservative wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

A Rookie in the NFL gets base salary about $365,000 for a single year if they are a no-name. It goes up between 5K to 10K a year unless they are signed elsewhere or demand more money due to performances... The average is 1.9 Million a year...

Do it for two to three years, and you are set for life, do it for 10+ like most and you are sitting on "Fuck You" money and then some... They get compensated heavily for the abuse they do to their bodies... want to look at fucked up brains, look at rugby players...
Fewer brain injuries in rugby,
So which sport is more dangerous? Rugby players wear far fewer pads, but it’s those pads that enable and embolden someone to hit another player with greater speed and force—and it’s the sudden stopping, not the impact itself, that causes the brain to crash into the inside of the skull, causing a concussion. Rugby players don’t wear helmets, but rather scrum caps, which do little more than prevent cauliflower ear—though again, it’s the helmet that allows for harder hits and a harder projectile, so helmets can be more dangerous for players than caps.
https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/10/rugby/504143/

So brain injuries ok, spinal, meh... we can ignore those... who needs to walk.
As The Guardian notes, “In rugby it is spinal injuries from scrums that are the most dangerous (110 rugby players in Britain have been paralysed by playing the game).”
I'm sorry I thought we were talking about brain injuries. Oh wait, we were.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:55 am

Comparing the head injuries sustained in Rugby to those sustained in Football, more than has it uses in this discussion, it's not moving the goalposts.
*yip*

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:20 am

Montegriffo wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Montegriffo wrote: Fewer brain injuries in rugby,

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/10/rugby/504143/

So brain injuries ok, spinal, meh... we can ignore those... who needs to walk.
As The Guardian notes, “In rugby it is spinal injuries from scrums that are the most dangerous (110 rugby players in Britain have been paralysed by playing the game).”
I'm sorry I thought we were talking about brain injuries. Oh wait, we were.

The point is that people get paid to be what they are. They have representatives, etc for their sorry, and rich asses to do what they do... they agree to do it in a contract.

I would have sympathy if they weren't paid in one year more than I'll see in 20... and be doing it against their will.

They aren't so I don't. Want to do something stupid and get paid a lot of money for it... don't come to me when you get hurt doing it. I won't hold sympathy for you, especially that is why you were paid so much to do it in the first place.
#NotOneRedCent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 am

The Conservative wrote:The point is that people get paid to be what they are. They have representatives, etc for their sorry, and rich asses to do what they do... they agree to do it in a contract.

I would have sympathy if they weren't paid in one year more than I'll see in 20... and be doing it against their will.

They aren't so I don't. Want to do something stupid and get paid a lot of money for it... don't come to me when you get hurt doing it. I won't hold sympathy for you, especially that is why you were paid so much to do it in the first place.
That isn't why they are getting paid as much as they are. It's all about how many eyeballs are paying to watch them, has little to do with hazard pay. The minimum salary guys are actually the most overpaid athletes of the all, not the guys making the big bucks, the guys making the big bucks are subsidizing the salaries of the league minimum by bringing in enough revenue for teams to be able to pay them in the first place, especially when almost no one is paying to watch the guys making the league minimum.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:27 am

StCapps wrote:
The Conservative wrote:The point is that people get paid to be what they are. They have representatives, etc for their sorry, and rich asses to do what they do... they agree to do it in a contract.

That isn't why they are getting paid as much as they are. It's all about how many eyeballs are paying to watch them, has little to do with hazard pay. The minimum salary guys are actually the most overpaid athletes of the all, not the guys making the big bucks.

Doesn't matter, they get paid in one year what it would take me 4 to make at minimum wage, and if I get fucked up, screw that... I'm pooched, while they, on the other hand, have enough money to cover their asses for quite some time.
#NotOneRedCent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:30 am

The Conservative wrote:Doesn't matter, they get paid in one year what it would take me 4 to make at minimum wage, and if I get fucked up, screw that... I'm pooched, while they, on the other hand, have enough money to cover their asses for quite some time.
Should have been good at something people will pay to watch you do then, don't blame sports for bringing in more money than you can doing your job, it's not their fault people will pay more for their services than yours. If you want to talk overpaid athlete's talk about the guys making the league minimum, not the guys making millions, they are actually the most underpaid of athletes, especially in leagues with a salary cap.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:31 am

StCapps wrote:
The Conservative wrote:Doesn't matter, they get paid in one year what it would take me 4 to make at minimum wage, and if I get fucked up, screw that... I'm pooched, while they, on the other hand, have enough money to cover their asses for quite some time.
Should have been good at something people will pay to watch you do then, don't blame sports for bringing in more money than you can doing your job, it's not their fault people will pay more for their services than yours.
Yeah, the funny thing about that, without my job, no one sees shit.
#NotOneRedCent