Disease Found in 99 Percent of Brains Donated by NFL Families

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Over the last decade, one of the biggest stories in sports has been the mounting evidence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, in football players. The degenerative brain disease develops after repeated blows to the head, and a new study finds a strong link between playing football and CTE. As Daniella Emanuel at CNN reports, the brains of 110 out of 111 NFL players that were donated to the researchers showed signs of the disease.

The study, published this week in the journal JAMA, was based on autopsies of 202 deceased football players including those who did not play beyond the high school and college level. As Emanuel reports, in addition to the NFL players, the disease was found in 48 out of 53 college players and 3 of the 14 high school players.

The brains examined for the study came from subjects that ranged in age from 23 to 89 and from every position on the football field, from punters to linebackers, Joe Ward, Josh Williams and Sam Manchester report for The New York Times. In the brains examined, the largest number of CTE cases were found in linemen, running backs and defensive backs. Eighty-six percent of the professional players in the study had severe cases of the disease as did 56 percent of the college players.

“There's no question that there's a problem in football. That people who play football are at risk for this disease,” Ann McKee, director of Boston University's CTE Center and coauthor of the study tells Emanuel. “And we urgently need to find answers for not just football players, but veterans and other individuals exposed to head trauma.”
Is there a future for professional football in the U.S. with this sort of problem? What responsible parents would urge their son to play a sport that puts them at serious risk for destroying their brains? Would you exchange the opportunity for great wealth for a sure case of brain damage?

Speaker to Animals

Re: Disease Found in 99 Percent of Brains Donated by NFL Families

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:56 pm

I could say something similar about occupations that involve a lot of sitting and all the degenerative diseases that stem from that.

People who sit all the time tend to lead shitty late lives and die early.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Poor little Johnny is too scared to play football now.

Poor little johnny is too scared to get a gf now

Poor little johnny chopped his dick off and turned it into a gaping puss hole

Poor little johnny votes democrat and hates white people now

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:22 pm

I think all sports are a waste of time. Time that could be better spent in training astronauts, picking up litter, or resurfacing every freeway in America. Ban all sports.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:25 pm

Keep me posted

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:31 pm

I think the US should designate and maintain one megasportscity to host all future sporting events

Bummer about the NFL players, that image is striking. Curious what happened to the 1 out of the 111 that didn't get the disease

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:33 pm

I think sports teams should be segregated by county of origin and American teams at the olympics should only have fifth generation or greater Americans on them. Preferably pre civil war pedigrees only. No Irish.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Nukedog wrote:I think sports teams should be segregated by county of origin and American teams at the olympics should only have fifth generation or greater Americans on them. Preferably pre civil war pedigrees only. No Irish.
I wanna play in the 5'10" over 60 league.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:42 pm

In my reich we will have shuffle board once a week for all senior citizens so they can socialize and get some exercise. No Irish though and especially no first or second generation Americans unless they are from the anglosphere or Nordic countries. And France. Maybe Spain. Italians can do something else.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:50 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Nukedog wrote:I think sports teams should be segregated by county of origin and American teams at the olympics should only have fifth generation or greater Americans on them. Preferably pre civil war pedigrees only. No Irish.
I wanna play in the 5'10" over 60 league.

There are some super fit 60+ guys these days. Apparently we had some really poor ideas about how healthy humans can be later in life.

You are maybe 70% of the way there with getting your diet in order.