How Government Wrecked the Gas Can

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:12 pm

Give a think to the little ways that the state makes your life shittier than it used to be (or for you youngsters, how it *might* be).

Then multiply that by 1,000.

When you have that in focus, you will be at the beginning of starting to getting closer to the IRL problem.

The gas gauge broke. There was no smartphone app to tell me how much was left, so I ran out. I had to call the local gas station to give me enough to get on my way. The gruff but lovable attendant arrived in his truck and started to pour gas in my car’s tank. And pour. And pour.

“Hmmm, I just hate how slow these gas cans are these days,” he grumbled. “There’s no vent on them.”

Who would make a can without a vent unless it was done under duress?

That sound of frustration in this guy’s voice was strangely familiar, the grumble that comes when something that used to work but doesn’t work anymore, for some odd reason we can’t identify.

TheReal_ND

Re: How Government Wrecked the Gas Can

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Fucking retard. You have to hold the lever down which opens the vent valve. His shit was either broken or he didn't know wtf he was doing. Besides that, good luck trying to get the fuel past the gas cap flap without a funnel. Just go buy an old fashioned jerry can off the Internet while you still can or figure out how to make shit pour correctly ffs.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Problem solved. You're welcome.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:32 pm

I got so frustrated with the stupid-ass neck design with the one I have that I just tore off the sleeve and spring and lopped off the end of the piece underneath. Works great now.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 pm

de officiis wrote:I got so frustrated with the stupid-ass neck design with the one I have that I just tore off the sleeve and spring and lopped off the end of the piece underneath. Works great now.
Sounds like a sloppy sex change if I ever heard one.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:26 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
de officiis wrote:I got so frustrated with the stupid-ass neck design with the one I have that I just tore off the sleeve and spring and lopped off the end of the piece underneath. Works great now.
Never thought I'd come to miss the old metal gas can we had to fill the mower when I grew up, but that's kinda how I felt.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:00 pm

de officiis wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Never thought I'd come to miss the old metal gas can we had to fill the mower when I grew up, but that's kinda how I felt.
Damn, metal gas can. I guess that makes me young.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:39 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

Problem solved. You're welcome.
What in the fuck is that thing?? Never seen one like that.

We bought some regular-looking gas cans a few years ago, no vents, and never figured out how to open the damn valve inside the tube. It's some sort of twisting motion, with a padlock symbol on it. I just take the nozzle off when I fill the mower.

I don't remember where I saw the article, but apparently, shower heads are now restricted, and water heaters are limited 'for efficiency'. Shit like this drives me crazy.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:07 pm

Great topic Fife, and a prime example of the idiots in control.

I went another way
Been collecting old school jerry cans. Can't beat em. I have about 20 now. Oldest one is 1943, still works. Biggest issues are rust and replacing gaskets. One line if you buy a fuel can gasket they are $7 + ea. But I measured them, went to McMaster and Carr, got them for a buck a piece
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm sure it's not evaping to atmosphere but w/e