DOJ Says Title VII Doesn’t Protect Gays

de officiis

DOJ Says Title VII Doesn’t Protect Gays

Post by de officiis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:32 am

Justice Department Says Rights Law Doesn’t Protect Gays
The Justice Department has filed court papers arguing that a major federal civil rights law does not protect employees from discrimination based on sexual orientation, taking a stand against a decision reached under President Barack Obama.

The department’s move to insert itself into a federal case in New York was an unusual example of top officials in Washington intervening in court in what is an important but essentially private dispute between a worker and his boss over gay rights issues.

“The sole question here is whether, as a matter of law, Title VII reaches sexual orientation discrimination,” the Justice Department said in a friend-of-the-court brief, citing the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which bars discrimination in the workplace based on “race, color, religion, sex or national origin.” “It does not, as has been settled for decades. Any efforts to amend Title VII’s scope should be directed to Congress rather than the courts.”
The filing came in a discrimination case before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit involving Donald Zarda, a skydiving instructor. In 2010, Mr. Zarda was fired by his employer, a Long Island company called Altitude Express. Before taking a female client on a tandem dive, Mr. Zarda told the woman he was gay to assuage any awkwardness that might arise from his being tightly strapped to her during the jump. The woman’s husband complained to the company, which subsequently fired Mr. Zarda. Mr. Zarda then sued Altitude Express, claiming it had violated Title VII.
In 2015, a lower court on Long Island first considered Mr. Zarda’s case and ruled against him, deciding, despite the E.E.O.C. ruling, that sexual orientation was not included in the civil rights law’s prohibition against discrimination based on “sex.” In April, the Second Circuit in New York upheld that court’s decision, even though it noted “a longstanding tension in Title VII case law.”

Zlaxer

Re: DOJ Says Title VII Doesn’t Protect Gays

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:35 am

I thought Gays could openly serve now - where is this going?

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:04 am

Zlaxer wrote:I thought Gays could openly serve now - where is this going?
They can, this is about something else, like private entities. Of course, an employee at will is still a thing, but let's forget that for now.
#NotOneRedCent

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:15 am

Before taking a female client on a tandem dive, Mr. Zarda told the woman he was gay to assuage any awkwardness that might arise from his being tightly strapped to her during the jump. The woman’s husband complained to the company, which subsequently fired Mr. Zarda. Mr. Zarda then sued Altitude Express, claiming it had violated Title VII.

I'm sick to death of "religious" fuckwits.

Also - I still don't get where this is going with the DoD. Gays looking to sue for something?

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:21 am

If she had a hairy ass with a ring of hair around her turdcutter, Zarda might have popped some serious wood on that tandem dive. The musky male scent generated by that ass hair would have sent the poor guy into a frenzy.
Shikata ga nai

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:53 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employmen ... ted_States

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:15 am

de officiis wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employmen ... ted_States

I meant with respect to the DoD.....if they let Gays server openly, what's the count?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:07 am

Apparently this is what we need to prioritize now? Sending the fucking DOJ into a low-level court case to play pedantic
Games, and force the Congress to waste more time on a new law to protect people from discrimination, despite the intent of the old law being crystal-fucking-clear?

I repeat, Sessions is human cancer.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:12 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Apparently this is what we need to prioritize now? Sending the fucking DOJ into a low-level court case to play pedantic
Games, and force the Congress to waste more time on a new law to protect people from discrimination, despite the intent of the old law being crystal-fucking-clear?

Why does to government play elementary school teacher in 2017? If adults don't want to be near each other don't force them.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:12 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Apparently this is what we need to prioritize now? Sending the fucking DOJ into a low-level court case to play pedantic

The point in question isn't actually settled law yet, and if you think this is the first time the DOJ has filed an amicus brief, you're woefully mistaken.