2018 - Railgun for US Navy.

heydaralon

Re: 2018 - Railgun for US Navy.

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:32 am

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
StCapps wrote:F-35 is damn good bang for the buck, all the alternatives are worse and yet for not much cheaper than the F-35, so really the F-35 is where it's at.
Why does it draw such vitriol out of people? I was talking to a buddy who was in the air force and he said it was the worst defense spending he's ever seen. I don't know enough about it to know why its controversial.
The layman don't like the sound of high price tag, and they don't like cost overruns, but they don't realize that's part of the business, and the same would happen with any knew next gen jet they would invest in. The media likes to play on the feelings of the public and exacerbate them for page clicks, making mountains out of molehills and selling them to the ignorant. Pointing out how pricey the helmet is, that is the epitome of their ignorant virtue signaling, if it wasn't for the helmet, the F-35 wouldn't be anywhere near as useful and the helmet for any next gen jet is going to be just as expensive, if not more.

As for your buddy who was in the air force, maybe he's still butthurt about Obama not investing in the F-22 or something instead, but that ship has sailed. No use sulking over split milk.
How would the F-35 hold up in a dogfight with another fighter plane?
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:35 am

heydaralon wrote:How would the F-35 hold up in a dogfight with another fighter plane?
It's not the best dogfighter around, that's the F-22, but the thing is the F-35 doesn't need to dogfight when they can see you before you see them, even the F-22 wouldn't stand a chance unless it somehow got right on top of them without them noticing, and good luck with that. Stealth sensor fusion ftw.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:41 am

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:How would the F-35 hold up in a dogfight with another fighter plane?
It's not the best dogfighter around, that's the F-22, but the thing is the F-35 doesn't need to dogfight when they can see you before you see them, even the F-22 wouldn't stand a chance unless it somehow got right on top of them without them noticing, and good luck with that. Stealth sensor fusion ftw.
I saw somewhere that there's been one dogfight, I believe, since WW2. Jets don't do that anymore, and battleships have nothing on the ocean to shoot at. The world changes.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:47 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I saw somewhere that there's been one dogfight, I believe, since WW2. Jets don't do that anymore, and battleships have nothing on the ocean to shoot at. The world changes.
Hence the F-35 being a thing, and battleships not being a thing anymore. Your contention that the obsolescence of the battleship now extends to the entire surface navy, is laughable at best.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:49 am

Military is obsolete anway because if we made sure that people in third world countries got better access to SAT tutors and canned food they wouldn't wanna fight us.
Shikata ga nai

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:51 am

heydaralon wrote:
StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Why does it draw such vitriol out of people? I was talking to a buddy who was in the air force and he said it was the worst defense spending he's ever seen. I don't know enough about it to know why its controversial.
The layman don't like the sound of high price tag, and they don't like cost overruns, but they don't realize that's part of the business, and the same would happen with any knew next gen jet they would invest in. The media likes to play on the feelings of the public and exacerbate them for page clicks, making mountains out of molehills and selling them to the ignorant. Pointing out how pricey the helmet is, that is the epitome of their ignorant virtue signaling, if it wasn't for the helmet, the F-35 wouldn't be anywhere near as useful and the helmet for any next gen jet is going to be just as expensive, if not more.

As for your buddy who was in the air force, maybe he's still butthurt about Obama not investing in the F-22 or something instead, but that ship has sailed. No use sulking over split milk.
How would the F-35 hold up in a dogfight with another fighter plane?
It loose at close quarters, the F-35 is not a traditional fighter jet.
#NotOneRedCent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:53 am

Getting to close quarters against the F-35 before it takes you out, or something else takes you out, that's the issue, and it's far from a small one.
*yip*

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Not every dollar, massive spending on defence while people go without healthcare and food is pretty dumb though.
Talking about getting involved in fewer conflicts while continuing to spend more than all your potential enemies put together is baffling.
What does that have to do with the railgun? Why the captain obvious remarks for no reason? We are discussing whether the railgun is a worthy investment, not whether the US should dial back it's defense spending from current levels and trim some fat, and spend that money on other things.
$35 billion and rising and the railgun is still nowhere near deployment. A good place to start cutting back.There are better things to spend your taxes on....
be a cold day in hell when we take tips from someone who's paying for their own overthrow. fuck off limey.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:03 pm

Let me clear it up for the tabletop pilots here - f22 is air superiority - meaning its top dog in the sky period. F-35 is multi role workhorse to replace f-16...its a jack of all trades master of none. also, missle tech is close to making both 22 and 35 obsolete.....I know guys who drive both.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:06 pm

heydaralon wrote:Military is obsolete anway because if we made sure that people in third world countries got better access to SAT tutors and canned food they wouldn't wanna fight us.
:clap:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751