Post by apeman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Perhaps.

I certainly realize I don't know

Martin Hash

Re: The War On Cash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:20 pm

apeman wrote:Perhaps.

I certainly realize I don't know
It's a difficult concept. You're trained to look for immediate cause & effect, and think that economies are accounting. In reality, economies are 1/10th need & 9/10ths want. People will jealously protect their 1/10th need at the expense of the 9/10ths want so it's important to reassure everyone to "move along, nothing to see here." TAXES are the biggest target of people who confuse accounting with economics.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

apeman

Post by apeman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Me not follow

Please try again

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:16 pm

apeman wrote:Me not follow

Please try again
Economies are hot air. Almost everything consumers buy, they don't need. Productivity will not increase without consumer demand increasing, either through increased population, or artificially via stimulus. Since stimulus is fragile hope & dreams, it relies on confidence, so a little fear will infect everybody, and the whole thing will come crashing down. You can give money to Iraq for the price of the paper & ink because Hollywood provides the hope & dreams, and the U.S. provides the confidence in the form of firepower.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm

It's kind of a confidence game. As long as everybody believes in it, it's real. But if enough of them start to disbelieve in it.. prepare for bank runs, hyperinflation, and all those fun times returning.

That simple fact is how the bankers scared the bejesus out of Congress to bail out the banks, btw. I am not saying that it was justified (I doubt it in that case), but the fear amongst the elites is real. They know this is coming at some point.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Hmmmmmm..... just released yesterday, and sorta seems to fit this occasion.

http://contrakrugman.com/ep-95-do-econo ... ion-dates/

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Martin Hash wrote:

Please try again
Economies are hot air. Almost everything consumers buy, they don't need. Productivity will not increase without consumer demand increasing, either through increased population, or artificially via stimulus. Since stimulus is fragile hope & dreams, it relies on confidence, so a little fear will infect everybody, and the whole thing will come crashing down. You can give money to Iraq for the price of the paper & ink because Hollywood provides the hope & dreams, and the U.S. provides the confidence in the form of firepower.
All government spending is stimulus.

-Martin Hash

Gave me an lightbulb moment with that one... can't remember what episode it was.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:

Please try again

-Martin Hash

Gave me an lightbulb moment with that one... can't remember what episode it was.
I prefer Stapleton's explanation of government spending more as it relates to the economy; its like taking water out of the shallow end to add to the deep end and saying you added water to the pool
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:14 pm

California wrote:
Viktorthepirate wrote:
Martin Hash wrote: Economies are hot air. Almost everything consumers buy, they don't need. Productivity will not increase without consumer demand increasing, either through increased population, or artificially via stimulus. Since stimulus is fragile hope & dreams, it relies on confidence, so a little fear will infect everybody, and the whole thing will come crashing down. You can give money to Iraq for the price of the paper & ink because Hollywood provides the hope & dreams, and the U.S. provides the confidence in the form of firepower.

-Martin Hash

I prefer Stapleton's explanation of government spending more as it relates to the economy; its like taking water out of the shallow end to add to the deep end and saying you added water to the pool

If the economy was a pool of water, we'd all have the same bank balance. It would be like saying that spending 99% of GDP on folk music bands is no different than spending 99% of GDP on defense.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
California wrote:
Viktorthepirate wrote:

-Martin Hash

If the economy was a pool of water, we'd all have the same bank balance. It would be like saying that spending 99% of GDP on folk music bands is no different than spending 99% of GDP on defense.
The point is that the government is taking our money in order to create these stimuli
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session