Nationwide Arrests for Opioid Fraud & Prescription Abuse

clubgop

Re: Nationwide Arrests for Opioid Fraud & Prescription Abuse

Post by clubgop » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:28 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Smokers need to get gassed.
I believe I read that from taxes on cigs and whatnot, smoking pays for itself in terms of healthcare costs. I could be wrong about this, but I think the government also takes the cig taxes and uses them for other unrelated shit.
That is a problem with all sin taxes. Whatever you tax you get less of, but the government agency gets addicted to the revenue so as the revenue decreases from the taxes they have to find ever more "sin" to tax e.g. soda tax.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
heydaralon wrote:I've never dated a girl that smoked (beyond a cigarette when we would go out drinking). Is it true that girls who smoke put out more?

Yeah, it's not so much that women who smoke are sluts, but that most sluts smoke. Smoking is a marker for character defects, especially compulsive behavior. It also indicates an oral fixation.

So skankhunters probably might want to take note. But women like that are nasty. And they smell like ashtrays, so forget about it.
Every girl I ever dated seriously, smoked. Only one would I say is a promiscuous "skank." Most were social smokers only when drinking or around other smokers. I never had a tobacco habit, I chewed for about 3 weeks while overseas just to try it, but it never took.

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Always surprised by people become addicted to pain pills so easily.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:Always surprised by people become addicted to pain pills so easily.

It's because they start taking a bunch of them to get high instead of just taking the prescription. After a while, you definitely will get a physical dependency and will want to taper them down from there. But the pain of that withdrawal will only make you more determined to get over it. That addiction stuff seems to come when people are taking a lot of this stuff to get high.

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:Always surprised by people become addicted to pain pills so easily.

It's because they start taking a bunch of them to get high instead of just taking the prescription. After a while, you definitely will get a physical dependency and will want to taper them down from there. But the pain of that withdrawal will only make you more determined to get over it. That addiction stuff seems to come when people are taking a lot of this stuff to get high.
I took a few Percs for wisdom teeth and never really thought much about it.

Maybe I'm missing the addiction gene. I can drink every day for a week and than not touch it for a month.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:

I took a few Percs for wisdom teeth and never really thought much about it.

Maybe I'm missing the addiction gene. I can drink every day for a week and than not touch it for a month.

I've heard this stuff can be genetic. Tobacco is nasty to me, and apparently to most people who don't smoke and never picked up the habit. I took pain meds for over ten years and got a wicked physical dependency to it, but not an addiction. Maybe some people were genetically destined to it.

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Some people must have a definite genetic predisposition. It can't all be "lack of willpower".

Though I imagine a disciplined mind can overcome such predispositions.

I just find it annoying that I can't drop a little acid if choose to because some people can't handle it.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:01 pm

clubgop wrote:
heydaralon wrote: I believe I read that from taxes on cigs and whatnot, smoking pays for itself in terms of healthcare costs. I could be wrong about this, but I think the government also takes the cig taxes and uses them for other unrelated shit.
That is a problem with all sin taxes. Whatever you tax you get less of, but the government agency gets addicted to the revenue so as the revenue decreases from the taxes they have to find ever more "sin" to tax e.g. soda tax.
You are absolutely right.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:26 pm

lol then your next post is "I took a few Percocet one time and I'm not an addict. What gives?"

It's because people are taking them to get high, as has been pointed out already.

Generally what happens is when someone takes the drug that makes them feel better it becomes a solution to their problems. As that progresses down the road physical and mental addiction kick in. Cigarettes don't really even offer that aspect of release much they were just something that cool people used and people did them till they got addicted.

As for genetics, there are some factors involved such as a predilection for thrill seeking. Another one would be the Western European's ability to process alcohol well enough to remove some of the more sickening side effects of heavy usage. That's about all the real genetic linkage to addiction I think there is right now but generally it boils down to someone using a substance as a crutch to get them by for a time until things become so bad they become dependent on the substance because there is no other relief. Once that happens, as I've said before, the addiction is typically life long and it can pretty much lay you low to the ground.

Anyway, to the OP, prescription pills were at one time stupidly prevelant. Now it's heroin and this fentanyl shit that came out of nowhere a few years ago. That's the state of the world we live in. I have my suspicions about this shit but I'll keep it to myself here and let you faggots yammer on about stupid systems.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:00 pm

I get all my addiction news from Kurt Cobain. He said the thing that gets people hooked is that horrific event that comes along once every year or two where you lose your job, or your spouse, or a relative dies, and the drugs you're already taking for recreation become your therapy, and that's when a person becomes addicted a lot of the time. Made sense to me when I read it.

Coupling the dependency element with the chemical one. He didn't say he got hooked on heroine because his doctor gave him some percs when he broke his ankle.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751