David Brooks Sandwich Column

TheReal_ND

Re: David Brooks Sandwich Column

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:27 pm

And then he said to me, "it's already been processed once like lol what's the difference if you process it into a paste?"

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:31 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:And then he said to me, "it's already been processed once like lol what's the difference if you process it into a paste?"
And he meant it, for the sake a' David
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:45 pm

clubgop wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:Capacol is considered upper class?
It is when you know it is gabagool, you fucking princess.
I don't buy antipasto in Manhattan, so apparently I'm a lowly IAP. Culture appropriating bastards. I want to see them chow down on pigs feet. In gravy - oh sorry, I meant pomodoro.
:royalty-queen:

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:45 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:https://archive.is/362w7

Archived the article. Don't give them clicks.

Fucking pure AIDS
I agree with your mentality that these people should be mocked, without giving their terrible site the publicity and ad revenue by clicking it. How do you archive things?
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Well first you have to click it to copy paste the link or you can pasta from a forum that shows full links

UNLIKE THIS ONE FUCK YOU LINK HIDERS

and then go to archive.is or archive.fo and paste the link into the "I want to archive this shit nigga" box.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:53 pm

It seems like Brooks should have just explained the items on the menu to his high school educated (gasp) "friend" without being a condescending douchebag. That would have been the way to handle it. This article is pretty minor in the scheme of things, but Brooks is a big name in journalism which in and of itself shows how out of touch and hopeless that industry is. He writes these pseudo intellectual elitist pieces every week and attempts to sprinkle in these misplaced historical references from edmund burke or Thucydides. He doesn't understand the people he is writing for, and is unwilling to try to bridge the gap. This is the kind of shit that shows why the media did not anticipate Trump, Brexit or any of the other developments from the last couple of years. They are so far up their own asses that they can't be bothered to interact with the public they are supposedly advocating for.
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:55 pm

Mercury wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Mercury wrote:
If that's what you're into man whatever, but...room-temperature blood clots in a can = blorf!

You don't just grab them out of the can, you fucking dork. Put them in a pizza, or spaghetti sauce.
Then just buy the paste or the sauce. WTF, it's already in a can?
They're used in cooking. That's where you apply heat and ingredients to make something yourself.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:05 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Mercury wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
You don't just grab them out of the can, you fucking dork. Put them in a pizza, or spaghetti sauce.
Then just buy the paste or the sauce. WTF, it's already in a can?
They're used in cooking. That's where you apply heat and ingredients to make something yourself.
I know, man, I'm just goofin.

...I'm a little surprised that the reaction to the article is all about the sandwich shop, and not at all about the other things (his main point).

**If anyone wants to read it. You should click the link that nuke provided.**
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:34 pm

"Say, what is Pomodoro?"

Nope, instead we gotta level every middle class white person in the country and make everyone eat the poor dirty Mexican food.

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Yep, it's all about tomatoes.
As life has gotten worse for the rest in the middle class, upper-middle-class parents have become fanatical about making sure their children never sink back to those levels, and of course there’s nothing wrong in devoting yourself to your own progeny.
It’s when we turn to the next task — excluding other people’s children from the same opportunities — that things become morally dicey. Richard Reeves of the Brookings Institution recently published a book called “Dream Hoarders” detailing some of the structural ways the well educated rig the system.
The most important is residential zoning restrictions. Well-educated people tend to live in places like Portland, New York and San Francisco that have housing and construction rules that keep the poor and less educated away from places with good schools and good job opportunities.
These rules have a devastating effect on economic growth nationwide. Research by economists Chang-Tai Hsieh and Enrico Moretti suggests that zoning restrictions in the nation’s 220 top metro areas lowered aggregate U.S. growth by more than 50 percent from 1964 to 2009. The restrictions also have a crucial role in widening inequality. An analysis by Jonathan Rothwell finds that if the most restrictive cities became like the least restrictive, the inequality between different neighborhoods would be cut in half.
Reeves’s second structural barrier is the college admissions game. Educated parents live in neighborhoods with the best teachers, they top off their local public school budgets and they benefit from legacy admissions rules, from admissions criteria that reward kids who grow up with lots of enriching travel and from unpaid internships that lead to jobs.
It’s no wonder that 70 percent of the students in the nation’s 200 most competitive schools come from the top quarter of the income distribution. With their admissions criteria, America’s elite colleges sit atop gigantic mountains of privilege, and then with their scholarship policies they salve their consciences by offering teeny step ladders for everybody else.
I was braced by Reeves’s book, but after speaking with him a few times about it, I’ve come to think the structural barriers he emphasizes are less important than the informal social barriers that segregate the lower 80 percent.
It's the 1%'s fault! It's the banksters' fault! It couldn't ever be us.

Lets talk about tomatoes.