David Brooks Sandwich Column

heydaralon

David Brooks Sandwich Column

Post by heydaralon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:52 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/opin ... erica.html

This has been all over the internet and Brooks has been getting mocked. David Brooks is like Thomas Friedman's slightly less retarded brother. It is a wonder that their columns get read at all. David Brooks is consistently wrong and off the mark and is basically just name recognition over content. He is so bad that Dan Carlin is a fan of him. The sandwich bit is gold.
Shikata ga nai

clubgop

Re: David Brooks Sandwich Column

Post by clubgop » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:30 pm

The bubble personified.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:35 pm

https://archive.is/362w7

Archived the article. Don't give them clicks.

Fucking pure AIDS

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican

Fuck off yankees, fuck straight off.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:17 pm

I saw the Barros Jarpa and I begin to shake as I wet my pants a little. I got ptsd from the bacon Triplets. It was like a sharp lash across my back as I begin to cry.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Fife wrote:Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican

I mean WTF. If you have stepped in a New York style Jewish deli anywhere in the world, you would know what those things mean. I mean Pomodoro is tomato for fuck sakes. Need not be upper middle class.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Fife wrote:Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican

Or she looked at the price of that "Pomodoro" sandwich and decided that a "gourmet" $15 was too much for a sandwich.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:46 pm

lol

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:48 pm

What is David Brooks' editor doing? Is there no oversight for his column? Everyone was like: "That sounds great David. This is the kind of cutting edge stuff the New York Times should be writing about."

Wouldn't a Mexican restaurant have more foreign words too? I'm sure his high school educated friend was happy to be included in this Edward R. Murrow level journalism.
Shikata ga nai

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm

I get what Brooks was trying to say. I didn't read it until daralon posted here, but earlier today I read Rod Dreher's take (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... ure-class/).

A pomodoro is a trans-mato, to a white-trash fuck like me.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.