Net Neutrality

Speaker to Animals

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:11 pm

1. If competition exists, then a broadband provider would lose business by ruining peoples' Netflix and Amazon streaming services in favor of their own cable television services.

2. Cable companies want the power to throttle competitor's services and, before the previous regulation was in place, they were doing exactly that in the mid-2000s in an effort to kill off the video streaming competitors.

3. None of those cable companies subsequently lost any business because of this, even though people were livid. (Indeed, Comcast is the most hated institution in the United States, ranking lower than even the IRS, and yet it's one of the most profitable businesses in the United States.. I wonder how that could be possible.. :think:)

4. Therefore, these broadband companies are, in fact, monopolies. There exists ZERO competition for broadband for most regions in the United States. Throttling traffic to favor one business (their own or the businesses that pay them the most for the advantage) is, in fact, a monopolistic practice. It cannot possibly work in a competitive market, since competitors would just not do it and grab more market share.

5. If you oppose restraining monopolies like Comcast from throttling their competitor's content, then you are defending the right of monopolies to create barriers to entry. If you defend the right of monopolies to create barriers to entry, then you oppose free markets.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Real Net Neutrality, a wise idea. I'm not arguing against that at all.

Obama's Fake Abomination Daring To Front As Net Neutrality, on the other hand, not such a wise idea. That's what I'm arguing against.

Kill it and try again, don't settle for a buzzword on a big government power grab, do it for real next time. Quit kicking the can down the road, for once America. Not that I should preach, we also have the Fake Net Neutrality up here, we settled for the buzzword instead of the real mccoy too. Canada is one to talk, right?
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:20 pm

That's not a response to the argument.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:That's not a response to the argument.
Correct, and you're not responding to mine, you are arguing past me, I'm returning the favor. Eye for an eye.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:36 pm

I presented it first, capps. You are trying to deflect. It's poor argumentation.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I presented it first, capps. You are trying to deflect. It's poor argumentation.
You are trying to strawman me, and I'm ignoring you. Stop arguing against figments of your imagination, if you want to have a real discussion. I'm ready whenever you are, but you refuse to engage in good faith.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm

I didn't strawman anyone. I presented an argument.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:00 pm

*yawns*
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Right. I don't think you even read it. It wasn't straw manning anybody, capps. If you did read it, and you still think that, then you don't know what a straw man fallacy actually is.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:38 pm

*yawns*
*yip*