Wtf? I love Sam Harris now. Get in here skeptic community!

GloryofGreece

Re: Wtf? I love Sam Harris now. Get in here skeptic community!

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:So life is meaningless without some deity I am supposed to believe with no other evidence other than the fact a bunch of other people believe in it?
That's not what I wrote or Nietzsche meant. He meant (and was right) that if you take away a belief system that lies at the bottom of your civilization (Christianity) there will be a huge vacuum. And in that absence either nihilism or totalitarianism will take over. So i'd rather try to create our own new narrative/ values or amalgamate the old ones into a new one.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:So life is meaningless without some deity I am supposed to believe with no other evidence other than the fact a bunch of other people believe in it?
There is a variety of evidence, but it intrinsically is inconclusive. I always say that science and philosophy can neither prove nor disprove God, but can point fingers one way or the other.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
That's not what I wrote or Nietzsche meant. He meant (and was right) that if you take away a belief system that lies at the bottom of your civilization (Christianity) there will be a huge vacuum. And in that absence either nihilism or totalitarianism will take over. So i'd rather try to create our own new narrative/ values or amalgamate the old ones into a new one.
That makes more sense... just making sure.

I disagree with the hypothesis but I understand.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
That makes more sense... just making sure.

I disagree with the hypothesis but I understand.
What do you think?
The good, the true, & the beautiful