My wife's hospital will be hitting the news shortly

Ph64

Re: My wife's hospital will be hitting the news shortly

Post by Ph64 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:08 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 10471.html

It sure is a good thing the NSA had all those security holes they knew about and didn't tell anybody about... and kept them "safe" from getting out. :?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Ph64 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 10471.html

It sure is a good thing the NSA had all those security holes they knew about and didn't tell anybody about... and kept them "safe" from getting out. :?
“This image is being displayed by all computers of the government.”
:shock:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:17 pm

This is where admins fail their job... especially ones that are there to collect a paycheck only.
#NotOneRedCent

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:18 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Ph64 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 10471.html

“This image is being displayed by all computers of the government.”
:shock:
"Making the world safe for democracy."

Dand

Post by Dand » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:24 pm

SilverEagle wrote:
Dand wrote:I'm also feeling the slight effects from today's ransomware. My company isn't hacked but some people we do business with are almost completely offline.

I don't have much sympathy. The companies being held for ransom are not being careful enough.
When its hospitals being attacked people can die. What kind of sick fuck are you?!
Should've been more clear, sympathetic for the people but not the business. It must have been a month since the last big ransomware outbreak and if businesses have such important data then they need to protect it rigorously or keep it offline. Or just pay the ransom if people's lives are at risk.

It isn't just hospitals being attacked but attacking hospitals is an extra immoral ransom.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:28 pm

The people who were hit by WannaCry were two months behind on patches, yet they cried the blues until Microsoft gave them free patches.
Now we're FIVE months past Microsoft patching SMBv1.0 and folks are STILL getting hit.

At some point IT people need to assume some responsibility.
/shrug
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:44 pm

DBTrek wrote:The people who were hit by WannaCry were two months behind on patches, yet they cried the blues until Microsoft gave them free patches.
Now we're FIVE months past Microsoft patching SMBv1.0 and folks are STILL getting hit.

At some point IT people need to assume some responsibility.
/shrug
IT should have assumed responsibility a week after the patch came out. There is no excuse why not to have your network or at least systems patched to keep it from happening. Any company that has an IT at this point in time that allowed this to happen need to be fired and blacklisted from any other IT job out there.
#NotOneRedCent

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:35 pm

I just saw it on the news here
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:56 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrew ... 30beb3532e
That's cause for embarrassment among infected companies: Microsoft released a patch earlier this year which prevented any EternalBlue hacks, even pushing out updates for older, unsupported Windows systems like XP. Businesses should have patched by now, especially given the carnage WannaCry caused.

Extra powers

NotPetya has some extra powers that security experts say make it deadlier than WannaCry. While EternalBlue has allowed it to spread via a weakness in Windows' SMB, it has other tools for moving at speed across networks. For instance, according to former NSA analyst and cybersecurity entrepreneur David Kennedy, the ransomware finds passwords on the infected computer to move to other systems. It does that by extracting passwords from memory or from the local filesystem, he explained.

"This is going to be a big one. Real big one," Kennedy added.

Another proliferation technique is NotPetya's abuse of PsExec. The tool is meant to carry out limited actions on other systems, but in this case its spreading the infection by executing malicious code on other computers. For instance, if the infected PC has administrator access to the network, every computer can become infected. A similar method is used by NotPetya with the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) tool, according to security expert Kevin Beaumont.

"This dangerous combination may be the reason why this outbreak has spread globally and rapidly, even after the previous outbreaks have generated media headlines and hopefully most vulnerabilities have been patched," said ESET researcher Robert Lipovsky. "It only takes one unpatched computer to get inside the network, and the malware can get administrator rights and spread to other computers."

Perhaps most crucially, thanks to all these added features, the new strain will infect even patched Windows PCs, including those with Windows 10, as one IT professional noted in a blog, whereas WannaCry worked largely on older systems.
Anyone even considering paying hackers to unlock their computers should reverse course, however: the email account set up to provide keys has been shut down by the provider, Posteo. Thanks to that, there's no obvious way of recovering files without backups.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:11 pm

If we all automatically had rights to our medical records, this could at least be less of a problem. We could just run our copies over. Always ask for copies any time you see a doctor or get lab work done. You may not always get it but at least make the attempt.
:royalty-queen: