Europe, the not boring thread

Smitty-48

Re: Europe, the not boring thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:40 pm
It used to be that people always returned my calls. When I walked into a room, I was Alpha. People listened to me and took my advice. When that started to go away, I chased after it, getting more and more frustrated as I got older. It was a tough 10 years. Probably similar to what you’re going through.
Nah, it's not that, I had all that at 19 years of age, I was in command of people for years and years.

I actually got sick of it, I don't want to be charge of anybody anymore, I want to be free of that.

I don't want the weight of responsibility on my shoulders, peoples lives in my hand,

I wanted to retire from all that. I'm happy to just be me in charge of me, nobody to command.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:44 pm

Different but same. It’s a young man’s world for a reason.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 pm

It's not like being a civilian, people obeyed my commands without question, without hesitation.

I had total control, it was like a machine, these troops were so indoctrinated to obey me.

But then you can never relax, you are responsible. 24-7-365, you can never get away from it

After awhile, it's not fun anymore, it's a burden, you just want people to fuck off and leave you alone.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 pm

Here’s what’s weird: I don’t think I’m any dumber; in fact, I think I’m much wiser. Wisdom doesn’t carry the same cachet as instant recall and being able to do a 360-spin layup.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:50 pm

I’m grasping for fame because it appears to remain independent of age.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:55 pm

When you're in command in the military, the troops all worship you.

They think you are wise, they hang on your every word, they follow you around like groupies.

They talk about you, they tell stories about you, you become larger than life.

It's like being famous, it was enough fame for me, I don't crave that anymore.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:01 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 pm
Here’s what’s weird: I don’t think I’m any dumber; in fact, I think I’m much wiser. Wisdom doesn’t carry the same cachet as instant recall and being able to do a 360-spin layup.
Wisdom is not a transferable asset, you can only use it to your own advantage, it doesn't sell to the young.

I do value it though, to understand what is important and what is not, it's liberating.
Nec Aspera Terrent

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:43 am

The EU Commission's "Eurobarometer" surveys, often cited in European media as sources for how much EU citizens supposedly support a greater degree of federalization, introduction of the Euro currency (in EU countries that don't use it), joint EU army, and other EU related polls, has long been "systematically underestimating the degree of Euroskepticism" in Europe.

https://www.information.dk/udland/2019/ ... nion-polls
Of every one hundred Germans who were asked to participate in a Eurobarometer survey in early 2018, only fifteen accepted: a response rate of 15%. Experts consulted by Information estimate that the response rate ought to reach 45-50% before a survey is representative.

»If my hypothesis is correct, then Eurobarometer is systematically underestimating the degree of Euroscepticism,« said Paolo Segatti, professor at the University of Milan.

This is because citizens who are most critical of the EU tend to be less inclined to participate in a lengthy interview about the EU.

»It’s no good at all. You cannot estimate the proportion of Euroscepticism with a response rate of 15%,« said Hermann Schmitt, Emeritus Professor at the Mannheim Centre for European Social Research.
And then there's this:
Eurobarometer polls, however, differ from other polls in that they don’t use telephone or online interviews, but only conduct interviews with members of the public face-to-face at home. This makes it even more difficult to achieve high response rates.
So far, the only other media I've seen reporting on this has been the British tabloid Express. Complete media silence everywhere else, and media keeps citing them as reliable sources on how much support greater EU "integration" (handing over of sovereignty) has among EU's various countries' citizens.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:42 am

15% is probably a better sample size than midterm elections here.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:58 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:42 am
15% is probably a better sample size than midterm elections here.
Added to the list.