Europe, the not boring thread

ssu

Re: Europe, the not boring thread

Post by ssu » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:08 am

Viktorthepirate wrote: If you said "go home" I'd be heading back to Texas.

Patriotic in the sense that they love the US and consider it their tribe. They also love their individual rights. Texas is not collectivist except for Austin really.

Now if they feel their rights are being taken, then they will begin to feel differently. For now it is nowhere near that point however. Nor do I think it will ever be.
Even if any state actually seceding is totally theoretical and not at all likely, the way it would happen is this way: The Federal Government doesn't represent "true America" or "true American values", hence one (or many) states break away while still considering themselves American. Just like last time, actually.

It's not like some nice Morning that Texans would wake up and think of other Americans being foreigners and themselves being Texans. Being a Texan (or Californian) isn't an ethnic group or a separate people like the Catalans, Kurds, Basques or Palestinians view themselves.

Secession in the US would be about State rights and a competition about just what represents America.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Spanish king speaks out on the Catalan independence vote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-04/c ... ks/9013306
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:20 pm

BjornP wrote:Spanish king speaks out on the Catalan independence vote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-04/c ... ks/9013306

How tall is this fucker? 6'7? 6'9? I bet I could whoop him.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:34 pm

According to google, 1.97 m or 6'4 feet, if the converter I'm using can be trusted.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

ssu

Post by ssu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:45 am

Nukedog wrote: How tall is this fucker? 6'7? 6'9? I bet I could whoop him.
Nearly two meters, 197cm. Oh that's 6'5 something... (we don't have trustworthy m=ft converters in Europe, as you can see)

Two monarchs with Secession Troubles:

3knuckleshuffle

Post by 3knuckleshuffle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 am

Catalonia says they are leaving, Spain says no, Catalonia says they are leaving anyway.... what happens now? Is Spain really going to march troops into Catalonia and start shooting their own people?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:22 am

3knuckleshuffle wrote:Catalonia says they are leaving, Spain says no, Catalonia says they are leaving anyway.... what happens now? Is Spain really going to march troops into Catalonia and start shooting their own people?
That's the most likely outcome. Hopefully, Catalonions are already planning ahead for this. Hopefully the UN isn't completely sleeping on the jo- sorry, couldn't say that with a straight face. :lol:

Yeah, there will be a standoff, mass arrests, rioting, then armed conflict, then... who knows?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

ssu

Post by ssu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:51 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:That's the most likely outcome.
I would hope not.

Heck, Spain is a nice country. Never been to Barcelona, but it would be a pity that such a prosperous Place would get to be a battlefield.

I still think that the Spanish PM Rajoy's minority government is now ruling on borrowed time. (Or Rajoy can morph into a Spanish Milosevic)

But if violence escalates, we would see the ugliest transformation that societies can have: turning people from fellow citizens and peaceful neighbours to enemies and start killing each other.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:42 pm

ssu wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:That's the most likely outcome.
I would hope not.

Heck, Spain is a nice country. Never been to Barcelona, but it would be a pity that such a prosperous Place would get to be a battlefield.

I still think that the Spanish PM Rajoy's minority government is now ruling on borrowed time. (Or Rajoy can morph into a Spanish Milosevic)

But if violence escalates, we would see the ugliest transformation that societies can have: turning people from fellow citizens and peaceful neighbours to enemies and start killing each other.
Philippines used to be a nice place, too. We're never more than one disaster away from killing each other.

https://news.vice.com/article/philippin ... illed-jews
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

ssu

Post by ssu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Philippines used to be a nice place, too. We're never more than one disaster away from killing each other.
Actually....nope. Peacefull only parts.

Phillipines has had insurgencies right from it's independence. Allways some people in the jungle with arms opposing the government.

When I was in Manila when I was sixteen years, we stayed in a fancy hotel in Makati commercial district, which was like the US to me. Few months later there was a coup attempt, heavy fighting in the area we had been and the guests at the hotel we stayed were taken hostages By the military personnal trying to make the Coup.

So violence has been there for ages. But beautiful Place, went to see a river where they had filmed Apocalypse Now.

One of the many coup attempts in the Phillipines. Hilarious the sign "Men at fight" btw. Phillipine Army fighting itself.

Since the Civil War, Spain has been rather peaceful. Nothing of the sort even if the wounds from the Civil War have not healed totally. Yes they had a dictatorship. And in the wake of it, even this coup attempt in 1981, then the current Kings dad had to intervene: