Europe, the not boring thread

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Europe, the not boring thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:47 am

ssu wrote:
C-Mag wrote:Catalan independence, Scottish Independence, Kurdish Independence, Californian Independence......... seems to be a theme.
Except that there's no true genuinely popular drive for Californian Independence. The discourse is more to the line of "People moving to Canada because of Trump", more of a rhetorical gesture than reality. If I remember correctly Californians can be put to the ballot vote for many silly things. But a lot of people in Cali have come from other States and I haven't noticed in Cali this kind of feeling of being separate, an "us vs. them" attitude towards other states. Now that could change if the Federal State would send in Policemen from other states to harass elderly people who try to go to vote.

Besides, if I'd pick a state that could possibly secede, it would be Texas (if things went really bad with the Union). I think they have the correct attitude and mentality for independence far more than Californians.
I assumed the Californian thing was a joke, actually... It's a hilarious idea.

Texas could leave any time they want - they're the only state on a separate electrical grid, for one thing.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:50 am

Texas has treated its admission to the Union as temporary since Day 1.

Calexit is a tantrum by babies.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:09 am

California wrote:Texas has treated its admission to the Union as temporary since Day 1.

Hush. Just make the referendum happen and the rest of us will drive to California to vote yes.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:58 am

California wrote:Texas has treated its admission to the Union as temporary since Day 1.

Mostly false. This is the popular contention but it's not ratified by our state constitution. The original intent was for it to be conditional, but this was rejected by US Congress, and a year later, heavily in debt, Texas was annexed without a provisional clause allowing them to leave if they chose to. Although, technically there may be a law on some sort of book that allows our state congress to legislate on a Declaration of Independence if a thousand petition signatures are procured, this is a joke because our congress has no desire to go to war with the US. Indeed, it's just as illegal for us to secede as any other state, following the Civil War. While it's long been debated amongst Southern Nationalists that's Texas would have the best shot of breaking away, most don't consider such a proposition seriously as the US has zero intention of letting the most industrialized refining coast in the country, if not world, slip away from them. It's believed the US would wage full war on Texas. Some think a small state in the Appalachians might stand a better chance if they could create strategic bottle necks.

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Nukedog wrote:

Mostly false. This is the popular contention but it's not ratified by our state constitution. The original intent was for it to be conditional, but this was rejected by US Congress, and a year later, heavily in debt, Texas was annexed without a provisional clause allowing them to leave if they chose to. Although, technically there may be a law on some sort of book that allows our state congress to legislate on a Declaration of Independence if a thousand petition signatures are procured, this is a joke because our congress has no desire to go to war with the US. Indeed, it's just as illegal for us to secede as any other state, following the Civil War. While it's long been debated amongst Southern Nationalists that's Texas would have the best shot of breaking away, most don't consider such a proposition seriously as the US has zero intention of letting the most industrialized refining coast in the country, if not world, slip away from them. It's believed the US would wage full war on Texas. Some think a small state in the Appalachians might stand a better chance if they could create strategic bottle necks.

Not to mention most Texans wouldn't seriously want to leave the US, not now anyways.

Pretty patriotic bunch.

ssu

Post by ssu » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:Not to mention most Texans wouldn't seriously want to leave the US, not now anyways.

Pretty patriotic bunch.
Patriotic?

Oh, people will allways think of themselves being patriotic: they'll just see the government in Washington DC as "unpatriotic" and themselves the "true patriots".

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm

ssu wrote:
Viktorthepirate wrote:Not to mention most Texans wouldn't seriously want to leave the US, not now anyways.

Pretty patriotic bunch.
Patriotic?

Oh, people will allways think of themselves being patriotic: they'll just see the government in Washington DC as "unpatriotic" and themselves the "true patriots".
If you said "go home" I'd be heading back to Texas.

Patriotic in the sense that they love the US and consider it their tribe. They also love their individual rights. Texas is not collectivist except for Austin really.

Now if they feel their rights are being taken, then they will begin to feel differently. For now it is nowhere near that point however. Nor do I think it will ever be.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:39 pm

The first step to showing they are serious should be to Free Jefferson from the yoke of Sacramento
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:49 pm

C-Mag wrote:

The first step to showing they are serious should be to Free Jefferson from the yoke of Sacramento
My dad is from Jefferson, and I lived there for 5 years during college.

I'd move to the Emerald Triangle if I could make a living in some other way besides weed, logging, or commercial fishing
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:25 pm

Hmmmm.

What happened to all that talk of traitors?

Couple weeks ago we were saying statues in the south needed to be torn down because secessionists were traitors.

Why isn't everyone here calling for hanging for all these filthy traitors?

Catalonians are clearly just as treasonous as those dastardly Confederates.

Hang them all, amiright?

Or was all that a bunch of horseshit?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751