Europe, the not boring thread

Montegriffo

Re: Europe, the not boring thread

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:50 am

de officiis wrote:How far back does the issue go? Am I remembering incorrectly that I learned about the political problems in high school Spanish more than 25 years ago?
Ferdinand and Isobella in 1496.
The current movement started to grow in 2009.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:50 am

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:58 am

Montegriffo wrote:
de officiis wrote:How far back does the issue go? Am I remembering incorrectly that I learned about the political problems in high school Spanish more than 25 years ago?
They were formerly Aragon, no?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:14 am

They were neighbors to Aragon.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:15 am

I think I might have played far too much Crusader Kings.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:43 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
They were formerly Aragon, no?
Catalonia was a county of Aragon, a Principality of the kingdom. Ferdinand was Aragon and Isobella was Castille. That's the earliest you could say this went back to. More seriously you could say after the war of succession.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:21 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I think I might have played far too much Crusader Kings.
:lol: yeah, my only reference is EU4, and an episode of Parts Unknown. Anthony Bourdain made it pretty clear that they’re not Spanish. More likely descended from Phoenicians.

They’re very genetically distinct, too.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:23 am

What is the EU saying about the dust up in Spain ? Where does the EU stand on validity of the voting ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Otern

Post by Otern » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:46 am

C-Mag wrote:What is the EU saying about the dust up in Spain ? Where does the EU stand on validity of the voting ?
They're saying it's an internal matter of Spain.

One of the few intelligent things said by the EU.

Of course they're against the whole thing, but overtly meddling in this whole thing, would only hurt the EU and Spain.

ssu

Post by ssu » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:55 am

Agreed that the Spanish Government is fumbling in it's effort. The British government knew how to handle it, not the Spanish: they took the gamble and accepted the referendum. And just had this extremely SJW-friendly campaign "Please Stay". And that worked: the peaceful Scots stayed peaceful.

The smart, successfull British (English) way:

If people die, that's when it could start to change. That is the moment when being a Catalan and some other start to take effect, that's when the police starts to become the enemy.

The police kicking people and being violent is one thing, people getting killed is another. Once a side has enough martyrs, people are past talking and anybody saying that we are all Spaniards will get a punch in his or her face. The fact is that I assume that the Spanish government has in the end no stomach to really crack down on the effort. They are just making their position worse.

Spain isn't there, but there is a small possibility. And if it's left to some Spanish People (or Catalonians) seems it's time to continue the Civil War: