Europe, the not boring thread

Montegriffo

Re: Europe, the not boring thread

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:19 am

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:23 am

C-Mag wrote:So what's up with Catalan Independence Vote ?
Honestly, I think Spain fucked up by sending the cops in, and declaring the election illegal.

Now, only the pro-independence crowd will show up to vote, making an election that would be pretty close, a landslide in favor of independence.

Spain could just declare the election illegal after the vote, or they wouldn't need to, as the loyalists could win as well.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:41 am

Montegriffo wrote:
What a beautiful democracy.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
What a beautiful democracy.
Only had one since 1981, the police haven't got the hang of it yet.
I could only watch 3 mins and had to stop.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:57 am

Otern wrote:
Honestly, I think Spain fucked up by sending the cops in, and declaring the election illegal.

Now, only the pro-independence crowd will show up to vote, making an election that would be pretty close, a landslide in favor of independence.

Spain could just declare the election illegal after the vote, or they wouldn't need to, as the loyalists could win as well.
I don't think enough people are being allowed to vote for there to be any kind of a mandate. You're right about a close vote as there have been anti independency protests but I think it was going to be a yes.
337 people injured isn't going to help matters either. :roll:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:58 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Otern wrote:

I don't think enough people are being allowed to vote for there to be any kind of a mandate. You're right about a close vote as there have been anti independency protests but I think it was going to be a yes.
How To Start a Civil War 101
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Otern

Post by Otern » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:06 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Otern wrote:

There wouldn't be a mandate, because the Spanish judges declared it illegal according to Spanish law. That should be enough.

This is probably the worst way to solve this issue though. Even if the vote is illegal, it would be better to let them have it, and then ignore the results, since it's against Spanish law.

People having a vote isn't really hurting anyone, especially if it doesn't matter anyway. But sending in the jackboots, and stomping down on voters is pretty fucked up.

If the referendum carries no legal power, it's in effect just a demonstration, and so far, a pretty peaceful one too. Nothing good comes from using excessive force on the "demonstrators" in this case.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:21 am

Otern wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Otern wrote:

There wouldn't be a mandate, because the Spanish judges declared it illegal according to Spanish law. That should be enough.

This is probably the worst way to solve this issue though. Even if the vote is illegal, it would be better to let them have it, and then ignore the results, since it's against Spanish law.

People having a vote isn't really hurting anyone, especially if it doesn't matter anyway. But sending in the jackboots, and stomping down on voters is pretty fucked up.

If the referendum carries no legal power, it's in effect just a demonstration, and so far, a pretty peaceful one too. Nothing good comes from using excessive force on the "demonstrators" in this case.
Catalan has everything it needs for independance, it's GDP is 20% of Spains total. They have a Parliament, a language,a distinct history, thriving tourist industry and they are tired of paying taxes towards the rest of Spain. They don't have an Army though so even if they did declare independance the Spanish troops would roll in and declare it illegal. Which it would be by Spanish law.
If Scotland were as economically strong as Catalan they would be independant now.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:40 am

How far back does the issue go? Am I remembering incorrectly that I learned about the political problems in high school Spanish more than 25 years ago?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:49 am

All those little petty kingdoms were subsumed into the Empire by conquest. They have a legitimate cause here. Spain is a collection of different nations dominated by Castilians, it seems to me.

I think we all need quite a lot more break ups to right this ship lest our civilization crumble again.

Distinct peoples possess the right of self-government..