STEAM SUMMER SALE IS ON

doc_loliday

Re: STEAM SUMMER SALE IS ON

Post by doc_loliday » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Is this the video game thread now? Is there a video game thread?

'Cus I (finally) picked up a switch and got Zelda, and goddamn it's awesome.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 pm

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1259&hilit=Video+game+thread

Haven't heard much about the Switch, good or bad, but I know that Zelda game is supposed to be awesome.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:01 am

I picked up Grand Theft Auto 5 from the Steam Summer Sale a few days ago, been playing with a buddy it's pretty damn awesome. I beat it years ago on PS3 when it first came out but the PC version is really slick, worth the $30

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:00 am

pineapplemike wrote:I picked up Grand Theft Auto 5 from the Steam Summer Sale a few days ago, been playing with a buddy it's pretty damn awesome. I beat it years ago on PS3 when it first came out but the PC version is really slick, worth the $30

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:23 am

It's true, idk which reich we're on now but PC gamers really are the master race. I swiped one of these 21:9 ultrawide monitors a few years ago too

I'll try to get some ingame screenshots later to properly display how much cooler I am than all of you. Bow before my glorious nerdiness

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:58 am

pineapplemike wrote:It's true, idk which reich we're on now but PC gamers really are the master race. I swiped one of these 21:9 ultrawide monitors a few years ago too

I'll try to get some ingame screenshots later to properly display how much cooler I am than all of you. Bow before my glorious nerdiness
get a curved monitor. it's pretty sweet.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:31 am

Oh yeah those look awesome! I got my widescreen on sale for a few hundred, those curved screens are still a little rich for my blood. Besides as soon as I get one of those, 4k will finally catch on and I'll be behind the times again

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:16 am

pineapplemike wrote:Oh yeah those look awesome! I got my widescreen on sale for a few hundred, those curved screens are still a little rich for my blood. Besides as soon as I get one of those, 4k will finally catch on and I'll be behind the times again
True story. I play on a laptop, but I'm not really into the shooter-type games anymore.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

ssu

Post by ssu » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:50 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I have Mount & Blade, rimworld, and long dark. All 3 of them are absolutely fantastic. If you go with M&B, though, make sure you get the Warband version - it's the best of the bunch.
I also own CK2, but hardly ever play it. I vastly prefer EU4 (paradox's other big seller), but your taste may vary.

CK is about managing intricate politics and intrigue, while running a medieval kingdom. EU is about managing intricate economic and influences while running a renaissance nation.
I just started playing again EU4. Favorite country to play is Byzantium. It's really difficult... if you start at a later period. If you get the Ottomans destroyed, then later Austria-Hungary will be fighting you.

And also Mount & Blade. Have them all, Warband also. Fire & Sword is good too. Especially the Napoleonic versions are great multiplayer games. The muskets are simply too inaccurate and take time reload, hence basically even a newbie can survive. The single player games are great... for a while, then become quite monotonic. One mod that depicts Spanish Civil War... absolutely rubbish. As the AI and your men behave just like in vanilla M&B, it simply isn't compatible with post-WW1 weapons.

The cool M&B version for multi-player:

One historian giving a lecture on the military revolution in the 16th and 17th Centuries told it quite well: some Gustavus Adolphus would understand war quite well in the Napoleonic War, the Civil War and at the start of WW1. But at the end of WW1 it would be totally strange for him. Actually, the above thought can be seen extremely well in these simulators: now Mount & Blade works quite well depicting Renaissance & Napoleonic warfare, but for modern war you have to have a Simulator like Armed Assault-series (which is far the most accurate one as it's military version is used by various armed forces).

M&B combat: Winged Hussar's in Fire & Sword and Napoleonic version

Arma combat, WW2 style, Iron Front, something totally different:

Arma 3 and the empty battlefield: