Who Owns Your Mind?

Fife

Who Owns Your Mind?

Post by Fife » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 am

Does anyone here think government-compelled speech is permissible?

I came across this piece in The Federalist by Alex Grass and it reminded me of some of the good discussion we had back on the old DCF about Little Sisters of the Poor.

I Don’t Mind Using Preferred Pronouns. I Mind Being Forced Into It

In 2016, the Little Sisters of the Poor—a group of Catholic nuns who provide low-income housing to the elderly—pleaded to the Supreme Court that they could not provide birth control to employees as a matter of religious conscience. When President Obama’s Solicitor General Don Verrilli was asked during oral argument whether forcing the Little Sisters to provide birth control meant they would be, in their own understanding, complicit in a moral wrong, Verrilli said it was up to the court to define the Little Sisters’ beliefs: “We’re saying that the judgment about complicity is up to you.”

The reasoned theological argument of some 50 Catholic theologians and ethicists that “judgments by federal courts about profound and difficult questions of moral complicity … res[t] on misapprehensions about the theological principles of the religious traditions at issue” was not a rationale that the Obama administration, with its vision of a postliberal societal order, was willing to accept. Not then, not now, not ever.

We have only had a passing word or two about Little Sisters over here. viewtopic.php?p=20478#p20478

Kath wrote:
Fife wrote:Good riddance. It can't come fast enough.

The one act that defined President Barack Obama

Despite your personal feelings on his coolness, his character, his charisma, or his competence, Barack Obama will forever be the president who worked diligently to put the gun of government to the heads of the Little Sisters of the Poor, demanding that they either pay to destroy children in the womb or be crushed.
IIRC - they were asked to sign a piece of paper indicating they would not do that. That was the big controversy. I'm not getting into it again; just clarifying what the whole gun-to-the-head was over.
Is there anyone among us here that defends the atrocity of compelled speech? Here's some reading if you are interested. https://www.law.upenn.edu/live/files/15 ... 5392012pdf

Save us Gorsuch-Won Kenobi.

TheReal_ND

Re: Who Owns Your Mind?

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:50 am

Did they really have to use oral argument in this passage? Is that blood sucker speak or a backhand across the face? Who wrote this?

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:56 am

No comprende. The quote is from the oral argument before the SCOTUS. They do that for every case, you know.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 am

Jesus.

Next question.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:38 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Jesus.

Next question.
Huh, guess latinos really are infiltrating the popular media. How 'bout that.
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:46 am

KerningChameleon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Jesus.

Next question.
Huh, guess latinos really are infiltrating the popular media. How 'bout that.

Jesus who is God, not Jesus the bowler.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Since money equals free expression, I believe the government requiring me to pay my employees in USD is compelled speech and treads all over my liberty and sovereign individuality. I would like to pay my employees in hugs and kisses as should be my right.

Before you say anything, know that my company provides puppies to disabled veterans, so get ready for my oh so sanctimonious eye rolling that would put the ecstasy of St. Sebastian's martyrdom to shame.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:46 pm

my company provides puppies to disabled veterans
Proofs

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:50 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Proofs
GET A WARRANT!
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:
Proofs
GET A WARRANT!
That's not how this works. Your tax forms, now.