Meanwhile in America

Zlaxer

Re: Meanwhile in America

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:35 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:56 am
I will write in whatever language is best for the job. It's not difficult to use new languages once you understand how everything works under the hood. But my favorite for AI is Lisp, for most high-level programming it is Java, and for embedded systems C.

I like Python because of all the data mining libraries. The language itself is awful, in my opinion.

Either we should wait for Java to make the transition to mostly functional programming and port the libraries there, or develop a new version of Lisp. I vote for a new version of Lisp that is completely open source and not controlled by a corporation.

PROLOG IS SUPREME - fuck Lisp and scheme. :rollyclown:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:36 am

Zlaxer wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:35 am
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:56 am
I will write in whatever language is best for the job. It's not difficult to use new languages once you understand how everything works under the hood. But my favorite for AI is Lisp, for most high-level programming it is Java, and for embedded systems C.

I like Python because of all the data mining libraries. The language itself is awful, in my opinion.

Either we should wait for Java to make the transition to mostly functional programming and port the libraries there, or develop a new version of Lisp. I vote for a new version of Lisp that is completely open source and not controlled by a corporation.

PROLOG IS SUPREME - fuck Lisp and scheme. :rollyclown:

Dude.. prolog comes from Lisp. I can literally create prolog in Lisp. This is artificial intelligence programming 101.

womp womp

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:37 am

:rollyclown: womp womp

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:37 am

Start here, my dudes.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:13 pm

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:06 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:03 am
I’ve been surprised at how much trouble C devs have with SQL. There’s a lot to know behind the scenes.
SQL is just a completely different thing that people have to get used to. Databases in general are their own thing with a lot of intricacies and pitfalls that are very unique.

Anybody can learn to write queries and pass that through some kind of API. But beyond that, we really don't want to mess with a database. For the sake of robustness and basic software engineering principles we like to hide all that behind adapters in some API that can handle a lot of error and sanity checks for us.
The guys I work with now like to put all of their recurring queries into the codebase, rather than stored procs in a sql. Makes my job super fun.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:18 pm

Is this what it is like for you guys when I talk about cricket?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:19 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:13 pm
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:06 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:03 am
I’ve been surprised at how much trouble C devs have with SQL. There’s a lot to know behind the scenes.
SQL is just a completely different thing that people have to get used to. Databases in general are their own thing with a lot of intricacies and pitfalls that are very unique.

Anybody can learn to write queries and pass that through some kind of API. But beyond that, we really don't want to mess with a database. For the sake of robustness and basic software engineering principles we like to hide all that behind adapters in some API that can handle a lot of error and sanity checks for us.
The guys I work with now like to put all of their recurring queries into the codebase, rather than stored procs in a sql. Makes my job super fun.
You definitely don't want to write the queries into your code. You want to encapsulate that shit so you can contain errors and complexity.

That's why we don't have much exposure to it. It's a very different world and it is poor practice for us to even directly deal with it in our code anyway.

I am a real time systems guy, so my exposure is even less, but right off the top of my head.. If I had to deal with that sort of thing and I was in an object-oriented environment like Java, I'd just make a class that is a specialized query builder. Pass parameters for what I want to look up, hide the sanity checks and error handling inside of that, and just queryBuilder.build () and pass the result into whatever adapter interfaces I have setup to deal with the database. I am just spitballing there. Not sure how those business domain guys handle it routinely. I am just telling you my first thoughts on what patterns I would consider.

I sure as shit would not have actual SQL strings in my code outside of something like that QueryBuilder class.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:54 pm

Wayment

There's some fucking nerd language called "lisp," and the nerds picked the name?

Nobody would believe this shit if you just made it up.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:03 pm

Fife wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:54 pm
Wayment

There's some fucking nerd language called "lisp," and the nerds picked the name?

Nobody would believe this shit if you just made it up.
Except sexy nerd girls want to bang the AI guys, so have fun with your beta imperative languages.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love it. Shorty the pimp walk with a limp, and all that.